So with all this in the hand you think the reason to the bluescreens och reebots was the defective memory fault?
That is quite possible. Try running your PC with the defective memory module removed from the PC.
If it doesn't throw a blue screen, then you know for sure that it was the memory module
Hehe!
Sounds like an idea:)
I could send the bad into Warrenty since i still got that left.
So do you think, installing WinXP 64x a good idea?
Regards
Jon
Depends what you are using the computer for.
I'm quite a power-user myself and I don't have more then 2 GB of RAM and I can run a LOT of programs at once Click here for Pros and Cons on 64-bit OS
Take a look at that link to answer the question about 64-bit. I think that's something you should decide by yourself.
Hello
I see.
Well il take a look, and right now the computer is at home and running.
We will see if it gets bluescreen anymore.
If it does it means that it is something else.
About that memory test,
When it failed does that actually mean that the Memory is bad?
Not that its the reason for the bluscreens, but if it means that its bad, since it failed alot?
Its pretty new.
Regards
Jon
When it failed does that actually mean that the Memory is bad?
Not that its the reason for the bluscreens, but if it means that its bad, since it failed alot?
Its pretty new.
It doesn't necessarily mean that the memory is bad. in some cases it can be badly configured RAM (in the BIOS)
But in this case (1400 errors in 16 passes) it does sound like bad memory.
Even if it is quite new it can be a bad manufacturer.
Or the RAM stick was not completely seated in the RAM slot.
Or the slot itself on the motherboard could be defective.
Try the "good" stick of RAM in both/all module slots.
If the "good" one works in all locations, and the "bad" one doesn't work in either/all slots, then you are down to a bad stick of RAM.
It happens. Bummer, but probably covered as a warranted exchange.
Best Regards
Hello!
I have now after i did those test, i did another test called Memtest.
And that one didnt show any errors on any of the Ram Sticks.
Is memtest trust worthy?
Regards
Jon
That would seem to be the most likely cause. Only time will tell. Since the ram is quite new, return it for a replacement.
I would suggest doing some research on running 64 bit XP as people seem to have a lot of problems with it. It may be better in Vista and should be better when Windows 7 is released but if I were you, I would stay with the 32 bit version of windows and run with 2GB or ram for now. Get the bad one replaced and keep it as a spare or until you do install a 64 bit OS.
Hey!
Doug: If you mean, if it hasent rebooted anymore, no it hasent,
Tho it has only been running for 1 night yet, but usely it had rebooted when i woke up.
You think the problem could have been that the Rams wasent complely seated in the computer?
I will wait until tonight to see if it stays running.
Thanks.
Zucker:
Thanks for the advise of the OS, il take that to in mind.
Regards
Jon
I sure like those results better than the previous.
I cannot explain the difference between the two time-specific sets of results.
It is "possible' that removing and reseating the RAM has caused improved electrical contact.
At this point, I'd use the machine in ordinary function.
Post back right away if difficulties crop up.
And please post back after a couple of days if the system seems to be functioning well over time.
Thanks,
Doug
Hello!
Ahh, ok Thanks!
Lets hope so.,
Yeah sure i will post back if anything more happends.
I have another question, when it comes to RAM brands.
I got Crucial today.
Wich brand would you recommend? TwinMos, OZC, Kingston, Crucial or Corsair?
And wich is best PC6400 or 8500?
Thanks!
Regards
Jon
It is "possible' that removing and reseating the RAM has caused improved electrical contact.
That would indicate filthy / glogged RAM sockets.
@SmilesGB
If thats the case, buying a can of compressed "air" and then blow out any
filth from the RAM sockets could remedy the situation.
When (if) using the canned air, which is in fact a gas, be sure to read to safety guidelines on the can.
Always use the straw / Nozzle that comes with the can, keep away from face / skin as it can "burn". Put some
distance between the object and the nostril of the straw (like 5-10cm). It is also great for cleaning out other parts of
the interior of the PC casing.
Note: There are two types of canned air, flammable and non-flammable. ALWAYS use the non-flammable, as any
voltage can ignite the gasses in those that are flammable.