Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

my disappearing cursor

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#46 justime8

justime8

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:44 AM

I am not sure where the setting for my text cursor are at :blush:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

I am not sure where the setting for my text cursor are at :blush:

Hi

Hmmm, me neither :blush: I thought it would be under the cursors in the
control-panel -mouse - cursor tab. Not sure if one can change text cursor
color that easily in XP.

It is only Yahoo sites, you experience this right?
I'll investigate it alittle more, and get back to you.
Other team-members might also step in with ideas.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#48 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hi justime8

Ok. Heres a little thing I would like you to try.

Access your control-panel, either through start or "my computer"
Find the Display icon and access it.
Then last tab, named Settings
Click the advanced radio button, choose the troubleshoot tab

Now you should see a hardware acceleration slider. By default
it should be at full acceleration.

Slide it down to half-way. Check if your cursor problem is still there.

If no: Adjust the slider upwards til you get the error again, and then slide
it just down to where it is no longer a problem.

If yes: Keep adjusting downwards, using the incremental notches.

If you hit bottom this way, hardware acceleration is not the problem, and we have to look for something else. Reset your slider
to full acceleration again.

It is quite puzzling. I will try some of those Yahoo games, and see if I get the same disappearing cursor.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

#49 justime8

justime8

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:29 AM

It is not a hardware acceleration problem. But I did find that if I right click the page and on the drop list use the option open this frame in new window, the problem goes away but only in FF the option is not there in IE :unsure:

#50 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

Hi justime8

As said, it is quite puzzling. I have tried some of those Yahoo games, and
anything I wrote while on those pages, didn't give me the disappearing
cursor problem. This was tried with both IE and Firefox.

As some of the games runs in Java aplets, I was wondering how much
browser cache you have allocated for your browsers?

In Firefox:

Tools, then settings
Click the advanced tab, then network
Adjust the cache size used by Firefox to around 50 to 70, maybe even as high
as 90, altho cache size shouldn't exceed this number (Read: shouldn't be necessary)
Some set it as high as 200-250 MB, but that shouldn't be necessary, altho it wouldn't
hurt to try.

In IE:

Tools, then Internet settings
General tab, browser-data, click the radio-button Settings
Adjust your cache in similar numbers as Firefox.

One thing I did notice on the Yahoo pages, was the warning to disable my popup blocker.
Do you run them with active popup-blocker on? If yes, try temporarily to disable it, just for
testing.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

#51 justime8

justime8

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Ok I got in FF but IE I do not have browser-data

In IE:

Tools, then Internet settings
General tab, browser-data, click the radio-button Settings
Adjust your cache in similar numbers as Firefox.

Posted Image
And also I have tried many times with pop-up blocker on and off and I can tell no difference. I can shut it off all together or temporarily and there is no difference that I can tell. :)

#52 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hi justime8 The screenshot you show, must be from IE6 right? Because mine looks like this (Its in danish, but the menu layout should be the same) in IE7. IEindst..jpg However, I must admit that I am stumped at this. I'll be happy to investigate it further, but right now, I have no answers nor any other things to try at the moment. As for browser settings, I think at this stage, we should ignore this. Mostly because it happens in both Firefox and IE, and that suggest something outside of the browser is doing this, unless one can find a setting which applies for both browsers. What security programs do you have installed at the moment? (Including browser security addons) Regards Abydos

Abydos

#53 justime8

justime8

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:04 PM

well I'm using IE6 and as for security I have AVG Spybot resident and Comodo firewall. As for addons I have AVG safe search 8.0 and AVG security toolbar 2.0.20080718. in FF Posted Image
and in IE6 I have Posted Image umm... should I use insert image or imageshack link ? for your preference! :notworthy:

Edited by justime8, 31 January 2009 - 06:08 PM.

#54 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

Hi justime8

should I use insert image or imageshack link ?

Any will do ;)

Well. It seems that both FX and IE have AVG plugins, have you tried without those?
(Temporarily disabling them only, don't remove them) I am catching air here :blush:
I am not convinced thats the solution, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

A possible temporarily work-around would be to enable "show cursor when I press CTRL key"
So every time it disappears, press the CTRL key, and it should (in theory) re-appear.

That is done in the control-panel under mouse options -- Cursor settings.

A thing we might have to consider, is poor coding for the page(s) in question. Something
that aren't optimal with your system. Are there any other pages where you experience this
behavior besides Yahoo??

You have shown great patience here, keep it up. But I can understand if it is getting tiresome.
Situations where the solution keeps eluding, is always frustrating. Also for me, have never
encountered that error myself, so, its sort of a learning course for me also B)

Regards Abydos

Abydos

#55 justime8

justime8

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

I have done as suggested and it did not help.

FX and IE have AVG plugins, have you tried without those?

and shut down then rebooted to be sure. Still no good. it was happening in all browser search text bars / windows but now it seems to only happen in yahoo.

Edited by justime8, 01 February 2009 - 09:33 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#56 justime8

justime8

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

Well here is the deal... I have reinstalled windows again worked fine for like one half hour the the same problem :scratch: so I have a drive for backup and on it I installed windows 7 beta thinking that maybe my copy of windows was corrupted somehow but that's not it. now I know that it was not my copy of windows at all but instead something to do with the yahoo pool sight. now I really want to stress that when I first logged on it was all good with no problems at all but then a guy just like any other came to my table( no big deal right? ya that's what I thought anyway.) when bam my activity bar at the bottom of the screen lights up and stuff is happening it's saying stuff like loading from bannertattomedia.com and lots of others that go by to fast for me to read from that point on my cursor problem is with me and that is in my copy of windows and this new beta windows 7 that I loaded. I have not tried linux yet but that's next,. A friends got a new linux iso downloaded. Anyway in my old copy it had been affecting most all text boxes or bars but after some cleaning it only affected me when in the yahoo games sight. I just thought I'd let you know about that

so what I want to know is how can I get a list of the things people places that have loaded things into my browser when that activity bar is going...... this activity bar

Posted Image.

#57 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

Hi justime8 The bar you are showing, is called a "Status bar". I believe that everything loaded to your browser, should be displayed in; Tools -- Page info -- Media. All pages, or part there of, should be displayed there. But it sounds peciluar, that a joining player, should cause this behaviour. At least it beats me, as to why that would happen. Have you tried contact Yahoo support, and hear their view on it? It may be a bug of some sort. Maybe a known problem to them. If you try contact them, be sure to tell them that you have lastest java (Otherwise I'll bet, that it would be their return answer) I am sorry that I can't help you further. Others may drop by tho. I will drop a line in one of our private Tech forums, and maybe one of the senior techs will have a answer. Regards Abydos

Abydos

#58 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi justime8 I have been recieving some suggestions in one of our private forums. If you still need / want help with this, I look forward to your reply. Regards Abydos

Abydos

#59 justime8

justime8

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Yes I'm still hear and I would love to hear any suggestions that you may have! Here is something, I have this bata windos 7 and in one of my posts I said

now I really want to stress that when I first logged on it was all good with no problems at all but then a guy just like any other came to my table( no big deal right? ya that's what I thought anyway.) when bam my activity bar at the bottom of the screen lights up and stuff is happening it's saying stuff like loading from bannertattomedia.com and lots of others that go by to fast for me to read from that point on my cursor problem is with me and that is in my copy of windows and this new beta windows 7 that I loaded.

I would like to add that when I rebooted my windows 7 at that time, it put up a screen that said A new plugin was added to your system or something like that but there was no icon or listing in my lists that are new. SO it told me there was something added but I don't know what or where it is, as it was not displayed. before when it says that something was installed it has a highlighted section that shows the addon pulgins extensions or theme that was installed. this was not the case the display was there but nothing was highlighted . :wall: I tried to talk to yahoo about this last year in the spring they where not helpful at all.

#60 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:38 AM

that is in my copy of windows and this new beta windows 7 that I loaded.

Hi justime8

Just to be clear here. Do you have Windows XP, or Windows7 ??

Reason being, that I can't troubleshot a beta OS. Thats for beta
forums, and not here. If it is Win XP we are troubleshooting, we
should be fine. Just want to be clear on the matter, before
proceeding.

Regards Abydos

Abydos