Granpuff
Topic Starter
THE PROBLEM:
I noticed that my system was running noticeably slower. It started taking several minutes both to shut down and boot up. My frame rates in video games went in the crapper and other programs are running slower than ever!
When I opened Windows Task Manager the performance view shows my CPU usage running between 20 and 30% ALL THE TIME even when no programs are running! The processes view shows the system idle process hovering between 97 and 99%. Before the system slow down occurred the performance view would show only 1 or 2% CPU usage when the system was idling. (I've attached screen shots of both views when the CPU usage is at 30%) What in the blazes is using 30% of my CPU power when nothing is running!?!? That 30% CPU power I'm being robbed of is really sending my machine back to the Stone Age!
Click to load external image (Posted Image)
Click to load external image (Posted Image)
SOLUTIONS I'VE TRIED: (the screen shots were taken after the following things were tried)
Used MSCONFIG to end ALL startup programs.
Deleted the contents of Windows TEMP and USERS TEMP folders
Complete virus scan with Norton Anti Virus 2009
Defragged all hard drives
Uninstalled Suspected Programs
Disabled then Uninstalled Windows Search 4.0
Checked Device Manager for any error icons
Double checked and updated all drivers where needed
Ran MIGO Software Registry Repair
Scoured the Tech Support Sites For Possible Solutions
Prayer and fasting…
I'm at my wits end and hope someone in the community can catch the thief who's stealing a 3rd of my CPU cycles! To help in the investigation I've also attached a Hijack this and a Nero InfoTool report. That’s a lot of information to help find a solution so my adult son can play Grand Theft Auto IV and Counter-Strike: Source with full graphics and frame rate capability and I can do some serious work on videos etc.
MY SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Motherboard
nForce3 Ultra Chipset
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor @ 2.61 GHz
4GB PC 3200 Dual Channel RAM
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500 Watt Power Supply
WinXP Professional Service Pack 3
Dell 2507WFP (Digital) Monitor
HIS ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512 MB Video Card
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound Card
On Board ICS 1883 chip (10/100) Mbit Ethernet
Comcast High Speed Digital Internet
4.55 TB Hard Drive Space
Logitech 5.1 Surround Speakers
Epson 4490 Scanner
Epson R220 Printer
Cannon S750 Printer
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard
Microsoft Explorer 4.0 Mouse
Trendnet Bluetooth USB Adapter.
I noticed that my system was running noticeably slower. It started taking several minutes both to shut down and boot up. My frame rates in video games went in the crapper and other programs are running slower than ever!
When I opened Windows Task Manager the performance view shows my CPU usage running between 20 and 30% ALL THE TIME even when no programs are running! The processes view shows the system idle process hovering between 97 and 99%. Before the system slow down occurred the performance view would show only 1 or 2% CPU usage when the system was idling. (I've attached screen shots of both views when the CPU usage is at 30%) What in the blazes is using 30% of my CPU power when nothing is running!?!? That 30% CPU power I'm being robbed of is really sending my machine back to the Stone Age!
Click to load external image (Posted Image)
Click to load external image (Posted Image)
SOLUTIONS I'VE TRIED: (the screen shots were taken after the following things were tried)
Used MSCONFIG to end ALL startup programs.
Deleted the contents of Windows TEMP and USERS TEMP folders
Complete virus scan with Norton Anti Virus 2009
Defragged all hard drives
Uninstalled Suspected Programs
Disabled then Uninstalled Windows Search 4.0
Checked Device Manager for any error icons
Double checked and updated all drivers where needed
Ran MIGO Software Registry Repair
Scoured the Tech Support Sites For Possible Solutions
Prayer and fasting…
MY SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Motherboard
nForce3 Ultra Chipset
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor @ 2.61 GHz
4GB PC 3200 Dual Channel RAM
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500 Watt Power Supply
WinXP Professional Service Pack 3
Dell 2507WFP (Digital) Monitor
HIS ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512 MB Video Card
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound Card
On Board ICS 1883 chip (10/100) Mbit Ethernet
Comcast High Speed Digital Internet
4.55 TB Hard Drive Space
Logitech 5.1 Surround Speakers
Epson 4490 Scanner
Epson R220 Printer
Cannon S750 Printer
Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard
Microsoft Explorer 4.0 Mouse
Trendnet Bluetooth USB Adapter.