This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Encrypted Outlook 2007 pst file

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I wondered if anyone here can help resolve a problem I have. I have just done a format and reinstall of my PC and have moved from using windows mail to Outlook 2007. I am using Vista 32. I have imported all of my old messages from windows mail and these now appear in outlook. I have bought PSTSync as I wish to sync email between desktop and laptop. The problem is when i try to do this using the PSTSync programme it tells me that the outlook file is encypted and that i need the key. I havent ever used encyption so i assume that this has been done by default. This being the case can someone either tell me how to decrypt the file or tell me what the default key is. I will not be able to use the PSTSync programme without it and i was speaking with one of their tech assistants last night and they need to investigate further before they can advise. Any help appreciated
PSTSync FAQ's - OutlookSync.com

7. I forgot my encryption password and I cant open my PST file?
Sorry, there is no way to retrieve your PST file data if you have forgotten your encryption key. Encryption is used for scrambling data so it is unreadable by humans unless the exact encryption key is entered. The key is case sensitive. Please use caution when using Encryption. There is also a warning on the PSTSync Encryption dialog that basically says, proceed with caution.

Thanks for the reply Trev. I had already seen this on their website. I posted on here as I haven't ever set an encyption key or password for any of my mail folders. I am the only person with access to the pc so no one else could have done so either. This must have been done by default and if so I would have thought one of the tech experts on here would be able to advise?
Hi I bought the Pstsync programme specifically for the job. I bought it based on endorsement from other users. Why do Microsoft state that .pst files cannot be synced when there are a number programmes that do the job? Surely the company that created the programme ought to be in the know? :scratch:

Hi I bought the Pstsync programme specifically for the job. I bought it based on endorsement from other users. Why do Microsoft state that .pst files cannot be synced when there are a number programmes that do the job?

Surely the company that created the programme ought to be in the know?


:scratch:


Microsoft, most likely don't make their own version of the product in question and probably wont unless there was a strong demand for it. With companies trying to move away from pst files because of the huge amount of space they can take up on the servers it doesn't seem necessary for them to either.

Bottom line - Microsoft wont endorce a product that they do not make - unless they were paid for it.

I havent ever used encyption so i assume that this has been done by default. This being the case can someone either tell me how to decrypt the file or tell me what the default key is.


You might have used the native XP Pro encryption?
It is associated with your XP login username and cannot be read by any other user.
Note: if you change your own XP login username "you" will not be able to access any previously encrypted files either.

Have a read here, if this may apply.

Best Regards

Hi I bought the Pstsync programme specifically for the job. I bought it based on endorsement from other users. Why do Microsoft state that .pst files cannot be synced when there are a number programmes that do the job?

Surely the company that created the programme ought to be in the know?


:scratch:


Two or more users can not access the same .PST file at the same time. This is what Microsoft means by this. .PST files are not setup for multiple users to access them at once. It isn't a database. Programs like PSTSync can appear to make it as seemless as possible.

After reading the description of PSTSync, it appears the PSTSync has its own encryption that you can place on the file. Are you sure that the encryption it is complaining about wasn't created by PSTSync itself?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI