This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Trojan malicious website - 8866.org, internetgamebox.c

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I made a detailed new topic posting about an hour ago, with contents of HJT. It has not been posted but, instead, I got a reply to download and install Manage Engine Event Log Analyzer. I've run it, but it displays a window while running a quick bat file and then disappearing… On what appears to be a timed repetitive basis (2 min) (could also be based on clicks), beginning at start up, and originating from inside my system, Avast is reporting its blocking of attempts to contact malicious websites - same 5 and order in each set. 8866.org swz2006. to 8866.org internetgamebox.com www.internetgamebox.com www.swz2006. to 8866.org Kindly advise what you wish me to do next. I'd appreciate your assistance. Many thks. Bill
I don't know how Manage Engine Event… was downloaded from your link, but I now see that the link was for HJY v2.0, which I have now done, generated report below:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:36:41 PM, on 01/01/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\SEC\Natural Color Pro\NCProTray.exe
C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\HDDlifePro.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\hldasvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTuneEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTune.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\bin\wrapper.exe
C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\jre\bin\java.exe
C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\bin\SysEvtCol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Ghost 12.0] "C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Window Washer] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: HDDlife.lnk = C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\HDDlifePro.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NCProTray.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc…ash/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: hddlife - {BD758015-47D9-477A-8873-4B688A2BC0E2} - "C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\hlAPP.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer 5.0 (eventloganalyzer) - Unknown owner - C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\bin\wrapper.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HDDlife HDD Access service - BinarySense, Ltd. - C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\hldasvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: MagicTuneEngine - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTuneEngine.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
O23 - Service: Washer AutoComplete (wwSecSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe

–
End of file - 7960 bytes

I will next post the report from start up.

Bill
Here is the start up list log:

StartupList report, 01/01/2009, 6:43:22 PM
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\SEC\Natural Color Pro\NCProTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\hldasvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTuneEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTune.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SSU.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\bin\wrapper.exe
C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\jre\bin\java.exe
C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
C:\AdventNet\ME\EventLog\bin\SysEvtCol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

————————————————–

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Startup:
[C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
HDDlife.lnk = C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\HDDlifePro.exe

Shell folders Common Startup:
[C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
NCProTray.lnk = ?

————————————————–

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

————————————————–

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

IgfxTray = C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
HotKeysCmds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
Persistence = C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
SkyTel = SkyTel.EXE
RTHDCPL = RTHDCPL.EXE
Alcmtr = ALCMTR.EXE
Windows Defender = "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
avast! = C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
Norton Ghost 12.0 = "C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe"
SunJavaUpdateSched = "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
SpySweeper = "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperUI.exe" /startintray

————————————————–

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

CTFMON.EXE = C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Window Washer = "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe"

————————————————–

Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=Explorer.exe
SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\System32\logon.scr
drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*
HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

————————————————–


Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}
(no name) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}
(no name) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6}
(no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910}
(no name) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9}

————————————————–

Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:

MP Scheduled Scan.job
Uniblue SpyEraser.job

————————————————–

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\OGACheckControl.DLL
CODEBASE = http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/7…/OGAControl.cab

[Shockwave Flash Object]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.ocx
CODEBASE = http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc…ash/swflash.cab

————————————————–

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

PostBootReminder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
CDBurn: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
WebCheck: C:\WINDOWS\system32\webcheck.dll
SysTray: C:\WINDOWS\system32\stobject.dll
WPDShServiceObj: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

————————————————–
End of report, 6,662 bytes
Report generated in 0.063 seconds

Command line options:
/verbose - to add additional info on each section
/complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
/full - to include several rarely-important sections
/force9x - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
/forcent - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
/forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
/history - to list version history only

Bill
Hi, and Welcome to WhatTheTech :)

My name is jpshortstuff. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a while to research, so please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • I will be working on your Malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for the issues on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through the instructions before starting to follow them to make sure you understand everything you have to do.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
Apologies in the delay in a response. We are overwhelmed with logs at the moment and there aren't enough helpers to go around. If you still require help, please do the following:

Please download DDS and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.scr to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and then click UPLOAD.
Please describe how your computer is behaving at the moment, listing any symptoms and problems that you are experiencing.

Thanks.
Thanks, JP, I'm happy for the help. Per your question, the system is working fine. The only concern is I have something on that is connecting outside post-start up, but which is no longer being detected.

I have just uploaded Attach.txt. Below is the DDS requested (I just noticed that I did it without disabling any script blocking protection - you'll have to tell me how to do that):

DDS (Ver_09-01-07.01) - NTFSx86
Run by [removed] at 12:37:53.06 on 16/01/2009
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_11
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.1015.464 [GMT -5:00]

AV: avast! antivirus 4.8.1296 [VPS 090116-0] *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated)

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\SEC\Natural Color Pro\NCProTray.exe
C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\HDDlifePro.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
C:\Program Files\BinarySense\HDDlife 3\hldasvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTuneEngine.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicTune Premium\MagicTune.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\Desktop\dds.scr

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uStart Page = hxxp://www.google.ca/
BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class: {06849e9f-c8d7-4d59-b87d-784b7d6be0b3} - c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 6.0\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelper.dll
BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper: {761497bb-d6f0-462c-b6eb-d4daf1d92d43} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper: {9030d464-4c02-4abf-8ecc-5164760863c6} - c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class: {ae7cd045-e861-484f-8273-0445ee161910} - c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 6.0\acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
TB: Adobe PDF: {47833539-d0c5-4125-9fa8-0819e2eaac93} - c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 6.0\acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
EB: Adobe PDF: {182ec0be-5110-49c8-a062-beb1d02a220b} - c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 6.0\acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
uRun: [CTFMON.EXE] c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
uRun: [Window Washer] "c:\program files\webroot\washer\wwDisp.exe"
mRun: [IgfxTray] "c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe"
mRun: [HotKeysCmds] "c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe"
mRun: [Persistence] "c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe"
mRun: [SkyTel] "c:\windows\SkyTel.EXE"
mRun: [RTHDCPL] "c:\windows\RTHDCPL.EXE"
mRun: [Alcmtr] "c:\windows\ALCMTR.EXE"
mRun: [avast!] c:\progra~1\alwils~1\avast4\ashDisp.exe
mRun: [Norton Ghost 12.0] "c:\program files\norton ghost\agent\VProTray.exe"
mRun: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
dRun: [CTFMON.EXE] c:\windows\system32\CTFMON.EXE
dRun: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dw\dwtrig20.exe" -t
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\bill\startm~1\programs\startup\hddlife.lnk - c:\program files\binarysense\hddlife 3\HDDlifePro.exe
StartupFolder: c:\docume~1\alluse~1\startm~1\programs\startup\ncprot~1.lnk - c:\program files\sec\natural color pro\NCProTray.exe
uPolicies-explorer: NoThemesTab = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoDispAppearancePage = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoColorChoice = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoSizeChoice = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoVisualStyleChoice = 0 (0x0)
uPolicies-system: NoDispSettingsPage = 0 (0x0)
IE: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - c:\progra~1\micros~2\office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
IE: {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
IE: {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe
Handler: hddlife - {BD758015-47D9-477A-8873-4B688A2BC0E2} - c:\program files\binarysense\hddlife 3\hlAPP.dll
Notify: igfxcui - igfxdev.dll
SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

================= FIREFOX ===================

FF - ProfilePath - c:\docume~1\bill\applic~1\mozilla\firefox\profiles\oacebevy.default\
FF - prefs.js: browser.search.defaulturl - hxxp://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=
FF - prefs.js: browser.startup.homepage - http:www.google.ca
FF - plugin: c:\program files\google\google updater\2.4.1368.5602\npCIDetect13.dll
FF - plugin: c:\program files\microsoft\office live\npOLW.dll

—- FIREFOX POLICIES —-
FF - user.js: yahoo.homepage.dontask - true
============= SERVICES / DRIVERS ===============

R0 hotcore3;hotcore3;c:\windows\system32\drivers\hotcore3.sys [2007-7-11 38448]
R1 aswSP;avast! Self Protection;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys [2008-4-2 111184]
R3 avast! Mail Scanner;avast! Mail Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashMaiSv.exe [2007-7-10 254040]
R3 avast! Web Scanner;avast! Web Scanner;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashWebSv.exe [2007-7-10 352920]
R4 aawservice;Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service;c:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware\aawservice.exe [2008-9-10 611664]
R4 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [2008-4-2 20560]
R4 avast! Antivirus;avast! Antivirus;c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\ashServ.exe [2007-7-10 155160]
R4 HDDlife HDD Access service;HDDlife HDD Access service;c:\program files\binarysense\hddlife 3\hldasvc.exe [2007-5-25 78175]
S3 NPF;Netgroup Packet Filter;c:\windows\system32\drivers\npf.sys [2009-1-1 32512]

=============== Created Last 30 ================

2009-01-09 10:03 –d—– c:\program files\common files\Wise Installation Wizard
2009-01-03 00:27 –d—– c:\documents and settings\bill\.housecall6.6
2009-01-02 10:52 –d—– c:\program files\MSXML 4.0
2009-01-01 18:34 –d—– c:\program files\Trend Micro
2009-01-01 18:15 360,448 a——- c:\windows\system32\myodbc3.dll
2009-01-01 18:12 32,512 a——- c:\windows\system32\drivers\npf.sys
2009-01-01 18:11 –d—– C:\AdventNet
2009-01-01 16:54 16,572 a——- C:\replace.cmd
2009-01-01 16:54 16,474 a——- C:\smitfrau.reg
2009-01-01 16:54 3,451 a——- C:\delfiles.cmd
2009-01-01 14:29 –d—– c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\Uniblue
2009-01-01 14:29 –d—– c:\docume~1\bill\applic~1\Uniblue
2009-01-01 11:39 –d—– c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\ZoomBrowser
2008-12-26 23:31 244 a—h— C:\sqmnoopt00.sqm
2008-12-26 23:31 232 a—h— C:\sqmdata00.sqm
2008-12-25 11:14 –d—– c:\program files\SEC
2008-12-25 11:14 13,312 a——- c:\windows\system32\drivers\MTictwl.sys
2008-12-25 11:14 –d—– c:\program files\MagicTune Premium

==================== Find3M ====================

2008-12-11 05:57 333,952 a——- c:\windows\system32\drivers\srv.sys
2008-11-10 05:43 410,984 a——- c:\windows\system32\deploytk.dll
2008-10-23 07:36 286,720 a——- c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll
2008-09-30 22:09 51,544 a——- c:\docume~1\bill\applic~1\GDIPFONTCACHEV1.DAT
2007-08-05 23:32 56 —shr– c:\windows\system32\3E65B116B4.sys
2008-05-13 22:42 32,768 a–sh— c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\history\history.ie5\mshist012008051320080514\index.dat

============= FINISH: 12:38:21.70 ===============

Bill

Attachments:

Hi :)

LimeWire
You have LimeWire, a P2P/file sharing program installed on your computer. P2P applications like it are the largest source of malware we see. You'll be doing yourself a favour by removing it.

References for the risk of these programs can be found in these links:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/commun…protection.mspx
http://www.techweb.com/wire/160500554
http://www.internetworldstats.com/articles/art053.htm
See Clean/Infected P2P Programs here

I would recommend that you uninstall LimeWire, however that choice is up to you. If you choose to remove these programs, you can do so via Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs.

If you wish to keep it, please do not use it until your computer is cleaned.


You don't appear to be running any third party Firewall software.

Install a firewall! Without a firewall you are very susceptible to being hacked, and people could gain access to your computer. If you don't have a firewall I strongly recommend you download ONE of the following:
1) Comodo
2) Agnitum
3) Sunbelt/Kerio

The only concern is I have something on that is connecting outside post-start up, but which is no longer being detected.

Can you describe exactly what is happening? Also, Firewalls allow you to specify exactly which programs on your computer can access the Internet, as well as stopping incoming requests that you don't want. Perhaps this will allow you to see what is trying to connect.

Thanks.
Thks. Yes, I'm aware of LimeWire downside. I don't think I've ever used LimeWire on this system, although I have (not much) on the other. Prior to that, I used it quite a bit for mp3s. I won't be using it. I've installed Comodo. I tried to check for comparisons mong your suggestions, but nothing to really move me one way or the other. At 96 MB totally installed, though, it's a big pig. I did not install its AV component. On the install, it wasn't clear to me if I should select "Firewall only" or "Firewall with Optimum Proactive Defense" or "Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense++". I picked the former, assuming the others may be related to its AV, but also because the header focused on popup elimination, of which I effectively have none. If I should have selected either of the other 2 options, pls adv. I did not install its SafeSurf Toolbar. Despite my selections, it prompted me to do a malware scan, which I declined. On restart, I OK'd maybe a total of 7 connections that I either recognized, were indicated as safe or which I checked to confirm they were OK. I'm surprised it didn't recognize either Avast or Java files. I don't know how else to use it, but it looks pretty slick - I did double click the icon, and saw no intrusions indicated. Wrt your question, I described in detail what was happening in my 1st 2 posts, where the same block alerts kept recurring after start up. Since removing SS (because I suspected it might somehow be a source of conflict) and updating my HOSTS file, there hasn't been anything (but I was concerned about whether there could be something still active but now undetected because of no SS). Incidentally, the other question I have is whether you'd suggest anything beyond Avast, Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster i.e. Spybot, Spywareguard or something else, or is it basically a choice between one or the other? FYI, I don't know if you see it in the info I sent, but I'm behind a router. Thks. Bill
Hi :)

The Comodo Version you selected was fine.

Updating your hosts file may well have done the trick. But better to be safe than sorry, lets run a general scan for any nasties.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location.
  • The log can also be found here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
  • Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
  • Post that log back here.
Now that you have a Firewall, your security setup looks pretty decent, there's nothing else that you essentially need to get.

Thanks.
Results below, although there was no "Show Results" tab after OK that I could find but, instead, the log: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33 Database version: 1665 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 18/01/2009 12:45:12 PM mbam-log-2009-01-18 (12-45-12).txt Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|) Objects scanned: 126496 Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 7 minute(s), 36 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected)
You do indeed appear to be clean, looks like whatever it was is now gone. To add to what I said about your security, I would recommend you keep MalwareBytes' AntiMalware handy for a scan whenever you think there may be a problem, it is a great tool. Any other questions/problems?
Hi :)

Glad to hear all is well :thumbup:

Have a look at this handy article as well for tips on prevention and security:
So How Did I Get Infected In First Place (Tony Klein)

Cheers,

-jp
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI