This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

CPU usage high - get audio problems (crackles/slows down)

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Whenever the CPU usage is very high,, e.g. loading a page on the Internet, any audio I am playing goes into free fall, i.e. it eithere crackles, or simply sloooowwws down and then it recovers and starts playing again normally. I use Vista, 32 bit, Intel duo core CPU (6750 2.66 ghz) , 4 gb ram, Geforce 8800 GTS video card and on board sound. Makes no difference if i am using Firefox or IE. Looking through the forums, I did look at Deferred Procedure Calls, which seem to be very high (up to 30% when I try to load a page. What problem do i have: is it software or hardware? Help, the problems with audio are getting on my nerves now! Graeme
Hello, I am not sure of the answer to your problem Graeme, but I would like to say we are pleased you have chosen WTT to register with your issue. :welcome: Is this problem evident when playing through youtube, steaming private video or radio? or all and more. We have many good Hardware techies as volunteers here, so one of them will come by to attend further to your issue. kind regards,
Hi and welcome to WTT :) It is very strange that the CPU usage is so high with 4 GB of RAM, especially when only playing music and browsing. Have you done regular maintenance on your computer ie. defragging and removing temporary files? Also, when did this problem start? After installing any new software/drivers/hardware? Please let us know. Regards, John.
I can't remember exactly when it started, but it was some time ago and i can't recall any particular piece of software i had installed at the time I first noticed it?? Defrag regularly and clean up temporary files almost daily. I tried PCPitstop to look at the system, but that couldn't find anything wrong, …yet… it keeps happening!
Well since you think it may be something with your CPU Usage, you can press Ctrl + Alt + Del next time your audio messes up and then quickly go to the Processes tab, sort by CPU Usage (click the column title twice), and come back and tell us which items have the highest # (not counting System Idle Status). Also, what are you using to play the audio. It may be the Media Player that can't handle background processes. I suggest trying to use an alternate Media Player and then going about your daily routine just to see if that's it.
You posted your problem about a month back therefore you might have figured out the solution till now. But I was facing a similar type of problem and got 1 fix for it. These kind of problem could be due to "Buffer underrun". This can occur either due to programming errors or transitory issues in the connection. In my case it seems that it occurred due to a defect in the SATA connectors on the motherboard, but since motherboards are equipped with 2 or more master SATA connectors, this problem can be solved by connecting the HDD to other ports available. But this can be an indicator of the bad health of the motherboard which may deteriorate.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI