This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

"Desktop Maestro" has disappeared from Desktop

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place for this.

When I booted up a few days ago I noticed this had happened to my installation of PC Tool's Desktop Maestro:

SysTray: icon had disappeared;
Start Menu: the 'launch' icon had disappeared but the other options remained (Quick Start Guide, Uninstall…); and
Desktop: the icon had been replaced by a generic, non-descript file icon, which I, stupidly, then deleted and emptied the Recycle bin, not realising what I was doing.

It seems only the launch icons have disappeared; everything else remains.
I haven't uninstalled the program, so how can I get it back?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Crimea Have you tried looked in the folder where it is installed? Perhaps the are exe.icons you could use on the desktop. As for the systray icon, the most likely whereabouts for that, would be some setting within the program. But by the sound of it, it sounds like the installation have gotten corrupted somehow. Do you have the original installer? If so, probably the best thing would be to uninstall and re-install. Regards and happy christmas :wavey: Abydos
Hi Abydos,

I haven't tried re-installing it as I don't know whether I could re-install it.

The version I have (2.0.0.322) was given away, for free, by Computer Active mag and I don't know whether I was only allowed one installation.

I have the licence name and Licence Key and will re-install it if it is possible, but, otherwise, it does seem like the installation has been corrupted somehow. There are several "exe" files in the Program folder but I don't want to mess with anything and cause further problems.

What should I try?

Happy Christmas, by the way, also.
Hi Crimea

I have the licence name and Licence Key and will re-install it if it is possible, but, otherwise, it does seem like the installation has been corrupted somehow. There are several "exe" files in the Program folder but I don't want to mess with anything and cause further problems.

What should I try?


If you could find a version 2.0.0.322 installer, I reckon it wouldn't be much of a hassle
when you got the license for it. Its the license that usually have the timelimit and not
the program itself.

From PC Tool's homepage I can see that version 3 is out, so wether you can find a
version 2 installer or not, I can't say. But you could try contact their support and get
their opinion on the matter. The support link is at the bottom on this page:
http://www.pctools.com/desktop-maestro/


Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI