You are correct, I am in Australia, and yes, isn't the technology wonderful that we can help each other from so far away.
Here is the tutorial for XP, just google what you want if you are in doubt. I found it here
Referring to this Laptop, I will be home in two days, 1600 km north of here. I will be ecstatic to return to my PC I can tell you. Some how the Laptop is not the work horse a PC is for me. However where would I be without it?
You open the folder under Autobackup for the date you want to restore to then click on ERDNT.EXE. That will start the registry restore process. Reboot and poof, your registry has been restored to the selected date.
The really nice part about ERUNT is you can restore from the C:\Windows\ERDNT directory tree from the Recovery Console, so if you ever get a problem where the registry is messed up, recovery is only a few minutes away.
Also, all this is in the ERUNT documentation, under the header Restoring the registry with ERDNT.
Helo
As I read your responses and the documentation I just need to clarify one thing; do you click on one of the several folders that has backed up the registry or the last folder called autobackup? I only want to be sure before I make a problem for myself.
I understand that then you do click on ERDNT.EXE to begin the registry backup.
Happy new Year to you both and happy landing tallin.
P.S. I just read an article that said not to use intergopt as it is a reg cleaner and another that said to use it. What do you advise?
Back up the registry with ERUNT then you can run NTREGOPT with impunity:
As for the folder structure under \Windows\ERDNT, there can be other folders besides the ones under AutoBackup if you manually run ERUNT to create a backup, it will appear under ERDNT, not under AutoBackup.
As for what you click on, normally you would open AutoBackup then the dated folder you want to restore from and click on ERDNT.EXE in that folder.
I have aproblem.
When I open the Autobackup folder I see two folders with dates. When I open either I see;
1-users folder, 2-ERDNT(setup information), 3-ERDNTWIN.LOC, 4-software, 5-default, 6-ERDNT.CON, 7-SAM, 8-system, 9-security, 10- ERDNTDOS.LOC, 11- one entry that says = ERD(in green) with black NT under it and ERDNT beside it.
I do not have ERDNT.EXE in the dated folders I open inside AutoBackup.
I followed the instructions so can you think why I don't have the .EXE you refer to?
That # 11 above looks tempting but I think I need to find verbatim the .EXE.
I wish more than you that this was a closed issue.
Thank you for your help.
To restore a previous registry backup, open Windows Explorer, navigate
to the folder where you saved the backup to, and double-click the
ERDNT.EXE file to start the restoration program. (Each restore folder
has its own copy of ERDNT.EXE in it.) Select which registry components
to restore, then click "OK" to start restoration. When the process is
complete, click "OK" to restart the computer and activate the restored
registry.
Note: If you experience any problems restoring the registry, please
read "ERDNT technical information" later in this document to learn
what ERDNT is actually doing during the process, or simply read on
through the following emergency scenarios for other ways of restoring
the registry.
The above quote is taken from here for your complete information.
Please let us know if the above clarifies your queries regarding this matter.
Hello
In my last post I explained, to the best of my ability, my problem. I have read responses and the documentation but confess I don't get it.
I do NOT have a file in any folder that says ERDNT.EXE to click on in order to restore the registry. If I did I would not know what to select to backup as much of the registry as possible.
I have itemized each folder and file in my last post but there is no ERDNT.EXE
Should I remove Erunt from the machine and reinstall it?
Thank you
Short answer is yes, it woud save so much stress for you. When and if you do take this advice, please follow the tutorial given earlier to download and install ERUNT….
Good luck. You know to post back if you have the slightest problem with it.
I am sure reinstalling will correct your problem. Especially if you follow that Tutorial strictly. I do remember installing it here on this laptop and my PC with not a moments trouble during download, install and auto set up if you read the options offered thoroughly before enabling your choice.
Best regards,
Hi again
I removed and rebooted then checked add/remove and the erunt folder was gone. I thought b/c the program was removed it should not be in Windows. B/c I was curious I then opened Windows and the erunt folder was still there. I did not see an .EXE per se. A few posts ago I mentioned a tempting green file so I clicked on it and after following the prompts the registry was restored. I rebooted and when I checked in add/remove, the erunt I had removed was back again.
I'm a bit puzzled why the removed program remained and why I have the green symbol and you have ,EXE.
I installed it in my desktop and it works there also.
Incidentally, I assume if I run intergopt that if there is a problem I can restore the registry which was backed up at startup.
Well, whether this sounds fuctional or not please let me know.
I can't thank you enough for all the help.
Grampy Pete wrote:I thought b/c the program was removed it should not be in Windows. B/c I was curious I then opened Windows and the erunt folder was still there. I did not see an .EXE per se.
Please do not abbreviate, I do not understand what you mean.
When you uninstall any program, if you go to:
My Computer
C:\Drive
Program Files
Very often the folder will be there with something in it or empty
You can delete what is in it if there are leftover files
If it is empty leave it be
Then Install (in this case ERUNT)
Be sure to follow the Tutorial given and you should not have a problem
I cannot give you any clearer information than I have done to date. The Tutorial explains how to restore if needed.
Very sorry about the abbreviations. B/c = because, but still not appropriate for proper correspondence.
All is well and I hope you settle in after your very long round trip.
Sounds like you do not have hidden files and file extensions showing:
Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)
The extension .EXE was next to the green file I was using all along to which I was referring ; lucky guess on my part.
By telling me how to cause that extension to appear has helped me understand this simple machine called a computer a bit more. :-)
Thank you
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI