This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Black Screen

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm pretty sure it might me because my computer is pretty old (2001), however it was the first time that happened to me. I turned on my computer, the Xp screen came out and after that a black screen displayed but nothing else. I know the monitor is not the problem because I'm currently using it. But I'm thinking my HD needs to be replace, but I'm not sure, therefore I'm writing this post. Black screen, tried restoring but couldn't disk was full. Many failed attempts at manually restaring,button seem was stuck. Whenever I disconnected the PC from the electric outlet, it made the noise it always makes when it starts up ( fan noise), but after 5 seconds it shut down. This happened multiple times. Only after 2 days it restarted again with the black screen, but this time I was able to run the restore cd. All is well now. But I'm afraid my current HD is not reliable. How can I figure out if its the HD?
Hi chromosome What manufacturer / Brand is your HD? Most HD manufacturer's have a diagnostic tool to test their specific HD's. So if you know the manufacturer it would be a great step in the right direction. If you don't know, heres how to find out: Right-click "My Computer" Select Properties in the menu (Bottom) Select Device Manager, Hardware tab. Find the entry for your HD (Normally the third entry from top), expand by clicking the + sign. Take note of the name of the HD. Next, go to the manufacturer's homepage, and search for the Diagnostic tool for HD's. If you are having trouble finding it, just say so, and we can try locate it for you. Or google the name of your HD, that should give you the right direction. Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI