Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Add Holiday Spirit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

Hi WTT Community,

You may already have Lights adorning your home, as most of the people in my neighborhood do.
You may even have selected a Tree and started decorating inside of your home.

Here's a way to add Warmth and Beauty with your Computer's Monitor.

It is still possible to download the FREE "Yule Log" Visualization for Windows Media Player.
Download it here.
It's the very last one at the bottom of the page.

It is safe to install and doesn't even consume much in the way of resources, though some older XP and Windows 2000 machines may see a CPU usage of 25%-30%. It is also compatible with Vista.

Download and install the Yule Log installation .msi file. Double-click on it to install. Follow the on-screen prompts.
Yule log comes with a few other Holiday season options for screen saver and background pictures.

To View the Yule Log Visualization, pop your favorite Holiday CD or DVD into your optical reader and Select Windows Media Player to play it.

When the music starts, Click on the pull-down arrow below - Now Playing.
Scroll down to Yule Log. (you can even adjust the "responsiveness" of the visualization)

Yule Log is a pleasant image of a stone fireplace with coals glowing and logs burning.
The color intensity and flame image are responsive to the music you are playing.

View it FULL SCREEN and leave it running "Turn Repeat On" for a pleasant background in your room.

Or of course, you could go outside, split some wood, and build a real fire in your actual fireplace.
But that's another story.

Enjoy.

Happy Holidays to All.

Doug

Edit: Here's a clip from YouTube of an actual fireplace and fire (but it is only a 10 minute clip)
http://www.youtube.c...id=event_668167
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

Very nice Doug. I just tried it and the installer it uses is not to bright. It would not install from a path that included any spaces. I keep everything I download in my F:\Sources directory and put things in folders so it's easy for me to find. I put this one in

F:\Sources\Microsoft\Winter Fun Pack

The install started then errored out. Copied it to the Desktop and it installed fine from there. It's pretty neat to have the fireplace in WMP while playing some of my Celtic Christmas music :woot:

Update: It also installed a Desktop Wallpaper program that started at boot which I don't need or want, so I killed it in msconfig.

Edited by Ztruker, 14 December 2008 - 09:03 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown