Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93090 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How to slipstream service packs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:36 AM

How to slipstream service pack files in to a bootable XP CD.

Tools you will need to download:
1: Service pack 2 (NIP for deployment) Download here
2: Service pack 3 (NIP for deployment) [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en""%20target="_blank">http://www.microsoft...ils...ayLang=en"</a>%5dDownload%20here%5b/url%5d3:%20Barts%20BCD%20file%20%5burl="http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=bcd111.zip"]Download page here[/url], or alternatively, this is the Direct File Download link
4: Barts wxp10 file Download page here or the direct download link to file is here
5:wnaspi32.dll (ASPI for Win32) Download page hereownload page</a> Or the direct download link here

Ok first, open "My Computer" and then open (left click) a drive of your choice. I am going to use D drive as its my storage drive and I have plenty of room on it. Now right click anywhere in the window and choose "New".. then "folder". Now name the folder whatever you like. I am going to name mine WXP_SP3. Ok now put your Windows XP cd in the cd drive. If the Installation splash pops up, just click on "exit". Now open "My Computer" and RIGHT click on the cd drive where your XP installation disk is and choose "explore". When the window opens showing you the files on the cd, click on "Edit" then "Select all". Then once again on "Edit" and then "copy". Now minimize that window and navigate your way to the new folder you just created and "Paste" the files from your cd in to it.

Ok download the service pack and save it in to a new folder on the drive of your choice. I am going to put mine on D drive in to a folder named WXPSP3 (D:\WXPSP3). Once the download is complete, navigate your way to the file and right click on it and choose "Properties". Now in the window that opens, you should see a button towards the bottom that says "Unblock" (if you havent installed SP3 you may not have to do this step, although I am not certain. I do not recall having to do this with SP2 but anyway...). Click on "Unblock" then on "ok" and close that window.

Now, click on "start" then "run" and type cmd in to the box and press enter. This will open a command prompt. At the prompt, type cd \ <press enter>. This will take you to the top of the directory (normally the command prompt will start at C:\Documents and settings\<user name>, after you type cd \ it will go to C:\) Now you want to go to the directory/folder where you downloaded and saved the service pack file. In my case its on D drive in the folder WXPSP3. So at the prompt I will type cd D:\WXPSP3 and press enter. Now the command prompt looks like this:

Posted Image

ok now, at the prompt (And substituing the location of your folder/file where mine is in the command), type WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU /integrate:D:\WXP_SP3 and press enter.This will integrate the service pack files with your installation files from your cd.

Posted Image

Your almost done...!

Now, make another new folder in the drive of your choice. Ill make mine in D drive and call it bootcd (D:\bootcd). Navigate to the Barts BCD file you downloaded (bcd111.zip) and extract it in to the new folder you just made (I will extract mine to D:\bootcd).

Once thats done, navigate to the wnaspi32.dll file you downloaded and extract/copy it in to the previously extracted files "bin" folder (Mine will be extracted to D:\bootcd\bin)

Now navigate to the wxp10.zip and extract it in to the folder you extracted Barts BCD (bcd111.zip) in (mine will go in toD:\bootcd).

Ok, now navigate to the folder you created and copied the files from your cd in to (mine is D:\WXP_SP3). Now you want to right click on the "i386" folder and choose "copy". Minimize that window and navigate to the folder you just created for Barts BCD and in the "cds" folder you will see two folders.. "wxphome"(Which is for Windows XP Home) and "wxppro" (Which is for Windows XP Pro). Open the folder that coinsides with your version (mine is wxppro) and you will see a folder named "files". Right click on the "files" folder and choose "paste" to paste the i386 folder in to it.(i.e. mine is D:\bootcd\cds\wxppro\files\)

Once completed, minimize the window that you just copied the "i386" files to.

Now navigate to the folder in which we just integrated SP3 to (mine is D:\WXP_SP3) and copy the "win51ic.SPx" or "win51ip.SPx" in to the "files" folder (the window you just minimized). You can also copy the "autorun.inf", "readme.htm", "setup.exe" files in to the "files" folder but those are optional. They are NOT needed for bootable cd).

Once that is done, click on "start", "run" type cmd and press enter. At the prompt type cd \ and press enter. Then, go to the directory/folder you extracted Barts BCD to (replacing where my directory/folder is with yours in this command) by typing cd D:\bootcd and press enter. Now, last step, depending on your version of XP (Home or Pro) type the following command bcd wxphome or bcd wxppro and press enter. This will create the bootable ISO and burn it to a cd for you...(if it does not find the device or burn the cd for you, then simply copy and paste the ISO file it creates to your desktop and use nero to burn the image. It will list the directory where the newly created ISO is placed)

and thats it..!

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hi Crow,

Great post, so informative, long needed here on this forum. Thank you very much for sharing with us all your knowledge.

I have learned so much from you but wish you would come by more with such information as this last post of yours.

Best regards, :thumbup:

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

For comparison, here is my simpler method of doing this. Should either or both be in Windows 101?

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP2 or SP3 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP2/SP3 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this also.

Here is the link to Autostreamer: http://www.softpedia...ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP2 .exe here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
You can download the SP3 .exe here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

An excellent alternative is nLite. It allows you to merge SP2/SP3/Windows Updates into a new XP CD image that you can install from. Takes a bit of fiddling with but worth the effort since it also allows you to pre-answer all the questions asked during install so all you have to do is boot the new CD, select where you want to install, format or not and go to lunch. When you come back the install is finished and your are at the latest Service Pack and Update level. See here:
http://www.nliteos.com/

If you have Vista, then give Vlite a try:
http://www.vlite.net/

Use this site to get the MS updates: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

You can also get updates from an MS site but it takes more work: http://windowsxp.mvp...saveupdates.htm

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

Frankly, I like both suggestions.

Crow,
You have written clear and understandable instructions with excellent examples of what you are doing as you build your own. (naming files and such)

I have a natural "preference" for doing things "the long-hand/manual way" as you have instructed.

However, I think there is a place for the Ztruker instructions that would allow for many of the steps to be automated.

If I had to choose at this moment, which to include..... I would enthusiastically say BOTH!

I have to agree with LDTate, that we may need to Mark this and a couple other Windows 101 entries as "Windows 101 - Advanced"

Note: There "may" be a third contribution from Troy, and of course we aren't closing the discussion and contributions just yet, so there could be even more.

Well done, gentlemen! :thumbup:
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:44 PM

Possible addition..... Are there any known issues with online activation after installing with a slip-streamed CD?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:54 AM

Well, I have heard of issues, and I have seen a couple. The problematic ones I have faced are simply because the user(s) are installing off a "borrowed" cd or the like. Now, if your trying to slipstream service packs to say...a dell cd that came with your computer... that may be questionable, I am not certain rather or not that will throw up a flag. However, being that slipstreaming is geared towards the professionals in the IT field (for multi-computer installations and the like) it would not suprise me to see such issues. One thing I would try to keep in mind is that in this tip, if you'll notice, I tried to shy away from the use of as many 3rd party apps as possible. There have been some very useful tools mentioned. However, when it comes to having anything to do licensing, I would try to stick with Microsoft app's and tools. That way is there no confusion and IF there is a problem, you can bet Microsoft will address it with a "pop up" or the like saying there is an issue. (on the note about using a "Dell" cd... I have slipstreamed a service pack to an MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network) cd and there are a few extra steps.. Ill have to look back at some notes to remember exactly what they are.. you have to edit the txtsetup file I cant remember exactly what command is...seems like you have to edit the path of the file but...anyway... ill do some checking on that to be sure.)

#7 Troy

Troy

Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Stuff...

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:53 AM

Well funnily enough, I just finished doing some slipstreaming today.

I used nLite for XP, vLite for Vista. It was the most simplest task I've completed yet, thanks to those programs. Crow, no offence, but your way does not look appealing when considering how easy it was with nLite and vLite.

Don't forget that with the new SP3, you don't need to enter a product key straight away. You now have 30 days to enter a legit product key, and activate it (similar to what Vista does).

First up I tried it with a HP OEM XP Home Edition SP1a disc. After slipstreaming SP3, I could not get past the product key page, whether I put in a legit key or left it blank. (That disc is now in the bin).

Next I tried both XP Home SP2 and XP Professional SP2. Both discs work great, and allow you to install without entering the product key during install. Also no problems were encountered when entering and activating the product key.

I've never heard of Autostreamer, although it probably just works the same way.

Here is the tutorial I followed to slipstream (and there's way too many words for the actions, just skim through the pictures and you'll have it done).

Troy

#8 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:34 AM

None taken...at all As I said, i am familiar with nLite.. its a good app. And slipstreaming isnt supposed to be THAT difficult to begin with. If you'll notice, I explained this down to creating a new folder on a drive. So it appears to be a little daunting but all in all it is quite simple. If I were explaining it to a more advanced user, it would go something like this: Download the service pack in to its own folder. Copy the installation cd's files in to its own folder. Open a command prompt. From the SP files root type WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU /integrate:D:\WXP_SP3. Then I would use Barts bcd to make the bootable image (you can download wnaspi32.dll and put it in the bin folder and barts should burn the cd as it writes the iso). You will need this file from barts also (and place it in the same directory) winxp10. Then simply add i386 and win51ic.SPx or win51ip.SPx to barts, open command and type bcd wxppro (or bcd wxphome) and your done. I was just trying to give as detailed an explanation as possible. I like to know why I am doing what I am doing when I am doing it, just figured for someone wanting to learn how to do that..a step-by-step would be a little easier.