This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows update problem

35 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey Sk2200

Thanks for your answers, right to the point.
Had to ask, just to avoid any confusion and knowing
we were talking about the same things :blush:

Boot.cfg/rebuild went through…check
You deleted the files in Prefetch cache…check

To "try" ensure that your OS knows where to look for the i386 folder without
the CD_ROM in, I would like you to download and run a VbScript. It only takes
a minute to run, and is just a automated way of doing things (Lazy here :blush: )

Link

Scroll down to where it says:

"Change the path for windows setup files"

Download that script.
Unpack it and open the folder.
Double-click the VbScript
A box will appear, type your full drive letter containing your OS, which would be C:\
click OK

Then we will proceed where we left in post 32, with:

Navigate to your C:\ drive
Right-click it, choose Properties at the bottom of the right-click menu.
Select the Functions tab
Choose "examine now"
Place a checkmark in each options shown
Click start

You will now get a message that says Windows can't perform that action now, and if you
want it to start at next reboot, say yes to this.

reboot

Windows will now scan in 5 steps, do not interrupt it at this point, just let it work through.

Let me know if it halts on any of the steps during the scan or comes up with any error messages.
Depending on the severity of the damage on the system, this scan can take anywhere from 10 minutes
to ½ an hour.

By the way, when you search for Ntldr, do you search in hidden folders as well?
Its truly a mystery I tell you. Ntldr stands for New Technology Loader….It is responsible
for directing the BIOS past post to the right drivers to load under Boot, hehe :P

Regards Abydos
ok, i did the first step with the script.

just for your curious knowledge, here is a screen shot….I dont know if i simply looked over it like 5 times or what….but its there now. :)
http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ntldrfindki5.jpg


I am proceeding with the scan. Last time i did it, it took like 40 mins. It went real slow on step 4 from what i remember.

I'll run it now and post back in a bit.



Oh, and just to be clear. I dont have a functions tab, i have a tool tab. under it is "error-checking" and then disk defrag. I assume you mean this, as it bring up a blue screen then scans 5 different ways. maybe it is sp1 terms. Don't know, but im pretty sure its the same thing as there is no other real options that sound like it. :)

ok, i did the first step with the script.

just for your curious knowledge, here is a screen shot….I dont know if i simply looked over it like 5 times or what….but its there now. :)
http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ntldrfindki5.jpg


I am proceeding with the scan. Last time i did it, it took like 40 mins. It went real slow on step 4 from what i remember.

I'll run it now and post back in a bit.


Finally it appears out of the mist :thumbup: :rofl:

Did you look before or after the script btw.?? Just out of curiosity.

Oh, and just to be clear. I dont have a functions tab, i have a tool tab. under it is "error-checking" and then disk defrag. I assume you mean this, as it bring up a blue screen then scans 5 different ways. maybe it is sp1 terms. Don't know, but im pretty sure its the same thing as there is no other real options that sound like it. smile.gif


Thats because I am running a Danish version of XP, I sometimes get the wrong terms also. So don't worry, its exactly as you say :thumbup:

Regards Abydos
ok, it went through the whole process. again, it kinda went slow on scan 4 of 5. Don't know if that means anything. Computer has been booting up just fine and hasnt had an error or anything in awhile. (i havent tried new updates yet). What should i do next.
Hey Sk2200 Sounds good, and thanks for the update on how its running at the moment. Well done :thumbup: Its perfectly normal that step 4-5 and sometimes step 3 runs a bit slow, no worries. Next I would like you to load the default settings for you BIOS, if you haven't done already. Re-enable any legacy drivers if needed, keyboard and mouse-drivers if running with USB. Temporarily disable any security applications and other applications not needed for updating. Leaving only windows Firewall on. Close anything down in the tray at the bottom right side. Now try update to SP2, not SP3. We take it slow and step by step this time. Other than that, cross your fingers and hope for the best B) You have been very patient through this ordeal I must admit, so Kodus to you :thumbup: Regards Abydos
k just to be clear, i press f2 to pull up bios, go to like the last page and hit load default. It will restart. I am confused about reenabling the drivers. I thought i had reset my bios once before and my mouse and keyboard worked fine. I dont have any security application besides spybot, and i dont think that is on. I dont even think windows firewall is on (just read it was introduced with sp2) let me know about this stuff before i try it, just want to be clear. :) we have come this far.

k just to be clear,

i press f2 to pull up bios, go to like the last page and hit load default. It will restart.

I am confused about reenabling the drivers. I thought i had reset my bios once before and my mouse and keyboard worked fine.


Then leave it be, as I said: "if you haven't done already"

Some motherboards (like mine) supports USB drivers in the BIOS, so one is able to use it while in safe-mode,
where the drivers would normally be disabled :)

I dont have any security application besides spybot, and i dont think that is on. I dont even think windows firewall is on.


???? :scratch:

You have no anti-virus or firewall normally enabled?

let me know about this stuff before i try it, just want to be clear. :) we have come this far.


Just close down any running programs showing down in the tray (The little area down by the clock)
Disable Spybot S&D if you are using the Tea-Timer function, otherwise leave it be.

If your Windows Firewall is disabled, and you have no other running, please enable it if you can.

Regards Abydos
windows firewall it says was introduced with sp2. so i dont even have that option i think. Normally i have it running, until i went back to sp1. I used to use spybot and windows firewall or occasionally norton. so should i still do the bios anyway? or just close everything and try to run updates?

windows firewall it says was introduced with sp2. so i dont even have that option i think.

Normally i have it running, until i went back to sp1. I used to use spybot and windows firewall or occasionally norton.


so should i still do the bios anyway? or just close everything and try to run updates?


You're right, my bad :blush:
Been so long time since I had anything to do with SP1,
that I forgot that it is first introduced in SP2.

Lets just skip the BIOS, and go try update. And yes, close everything not needed.

Good luck ;)

Regards Abydos
So, here is the thing. Last night when i tried to install sp2, my computer shut down and i couldnt reboot it without having to do a repair install, wouldn't even come up in safe mode. So, very late last night, i just completely fresh installed. Deleted my old, and created another, then put windows back on. By 5 in the morning I was back up to sp3 and had most of my programs back on. Everything runs fine and smooth. Not a single error. I hope i didn't disappoint you guys. All this effort you have helped me with. My computer was just so twisted, the only way to repair it correctly would be a fresh install. I saved all my pictures (which is the real thing i care about) and deleted everything else. The only thing im really missing is my music, but i can get that back by copying them off my iPod. My computer runs quicker than ever, and I realized i have like 160 gigs instead of 80. Dont know why, but i do. So THANK YOU to everyone who helped me, tallin, abydos, tomk, doug. You all were really awesome with the patients you had with me. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: again, i can't thank you enough for being so kind. Hope you all have a wonderful day. -SK
Hello sk2200,

I myself was really concerned until you turned up just now. I had wondered what the silence meant?

I am delighted that you are back, cleanly installed, running faster than ever, saved what you could and most of all the stress of it has now subsided for you. I am indeed happy for that. :thumbup:

Of course you did not disappoint us, not me at any rate, you must do what you feel right for you, and if it makes you feel any better, I have a professional techie that I would have called on long before you completed your step by step you report about today.

Well done I say, kudos to Abydos :notworthy: for his knowledge and the way he imparts it. Well done to you for staying with it as long as you did.

Come and see us again whenever you feel the need, but next time perhaps it will not be so serious……..we can only hope in any event.

I would like to wish you and your family [external image: Posted Image]

Best regards,
Hi Sk2200 Good to hear that you are up and running with the PC. :thumbup: Altho it bothers me on a more, say, "professional" level that we couldn't solve it. Anyways, thats just my vanity speaking, and nothing to worry about :rofl: Its always easier sitting directly in front of the computer and trouble-shoot, than doing it per mail / Forum. You showed great patience and tenacity in there, thats good values to have. Especially when dealing with some- one like me :pullhair: :rofl: One last thing tho…. The Anti-virus and other security, or the lack of it. Hows that coming around? What have you installed so far? More so we don't trouble Tom more than good is, they have plenty of work as it is ^_^ (Otherwise I am sure tallin will pull a list up from the pockets to you :P ) Hope this ordeal won't discourage you from using the forums again in times of troubles. Best Regards Abydos
:) Thanks you guys. Everything is still working fine, and i have most of my programs and I'm doing lots of driver updates. because I have sp3, I am running windows firewall as well as spybot. I may get norton or something else. Not sure at this point. :)
sk2200,

I'm glad you are running again. :woot:

However,

Anti-virus software are programs that detect, cleanse, and erase harmful virus files on a computer, Web server, or network.
Unchecked, virus files can unintentionally be forwarded to others, including trading partners and thereby spreading infection. Because new viruses regularly emerge, anti-virus software should be updated frequently. Anti-virus software can scan the computer memory and disk drives for malicious code. They can alert the user if a virus is present, and will clean, delete (or quarantine) infected files or directories. Please download a free anti-virus software (for personal use), from one these excellent vendors NOW (seriously. I mean right now before doing anything else):

1) Antivir PersonalEditionClassic
-Free anti-virus software for Windows.
-Detects and removes more than 50,000 viruses. Free support.
2) avast! 4 Home Edition
-Anti-virus program for Windows.
-The home edition is freeware for noncommercial user
3) AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
- Free edition of the AVG anti-virus program for Windows.
- Available for single computer use for home and non commercial use.

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI