Software
OpenDNS - what is known about it ?
2 min read
chromosome
Topic Starter
Sorry guys, chose the wrong forum. Noticed it after posting, silly me.
But wait I've heard something about OpenDNS, I geuss I will have to wait until my computer is healthy again to test it out but can anyone tell if they have it, and if they do does it only speed up your browsing speed or also your download speed?
Sorry again for the confusing title, guess it reminded me of someting.
Doug
Hi chromosome and
I've edited the Title to your Thread.
I hope you will now get some useful replies.
Best Regards,
Doug
tallin
Hi chromosome,Sorry guys, chose the wrong forum. Noticed it after posting, silly me.
But wait I've heard something about OpenDNS, I geuss I will have to wait until my computer is healthy again to test it out but can anyone tell if they have it, and if they do does it only speed up your browsing speed or also your download speed?
Sorry again for the confusing title, guess it reminded me of someting.
Welcome to the forum.
You can read all about DNS here.
I do not have it, know nothing about it, so googled it for you with this information.
You did not say what is wrong with your system, but if you would like to begin to make it healthy, go here. You may not elect to post a HJT LOG, but at the very least backup your registry and run the software offered by LDTate in his post.
kind regards,
starjax
Well, I was composing a nice reply, when I came upon this article put together by cnet. It does a very nice job of laying out what it does and how it works.. I tend to find that openDNS is more reliable and provides faster response. It also offers a range of services that you can choose to use such as parental controls and phishing protection. I have never had any issues with it. I also think they provide extensive documentation on how to setup your router and pc to work with it.
If you have any specific questions about this service, please let us know.
Regards,
Starjax
If you have any specific questions about this service, please let us know.
Regards,
Starjax
tallin
[external image: Posted Image] starjax,
Glad to see you here and thank you for your input to the forum.
We hope you can visit us often and enjoy the family atmosphere shown to all members posting with their problems.
Best regards,
Glad to see you here and thank you for your input to the forum.
We hope you can visit us often and enjoy the family atmosphere shown to all members posting with their problems.
Best regards,
chromosome
Thank You guys for all your replies.
I decided to use my restore cd that came with my computer. I guess I made a silly mistake an erased some of those registry keys, it was just too stressful to have my computer freeze and not let me update my Anti-Virus.
Now that I'm protected. I'll go ahead and try OpenDNS. 
Mike8
Open DNS is a perfectly safe DNS service. All ISPs have their own DNS servers which you can put in your router or pc (if you dont want to use the automatic assigned method). Particularly if you are on a fast adsl2+ bb service there may be hesitation while the pc/router is looking up the web address. It seems that some ISPs DNS servers are rather lethargic. If you have a problem with lethagy then try manually putting in OpenDNS.
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220
I use a 16Mb service and it takes about 1/2sec off loading the first page.
M
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI