Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Itermitent wireless internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tony

Tony

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:00 AM

:pullhair: Hi, Please can you help me out. I have a wireless internet setup, with my main PC (PC1) connected direct to the router and my partners PC (PC2) using a USB wireless reciever. Whenever (PC2) boots up, it automatically finds the wireless network and aparently connects without issue.... About 50% of the time there is no problem, Internet Explorerer, MSN, etc, all function as expected. The other 50% of the time, they cannot connect as thought the network was not connected, Even though PC2 shows to be connected with very strong signal. I have contacted the manufacturers of the wireless gear (belkin), and have done the ususal test (ping, etc) and even when Internet Explorer, Firefox, MSN, etc won't connect the ping test all come back with a good connection !?!?!?!. I have tried using different frequencies to remedy the problem but, no change. PC1 is using windows XP and PC2 is using windows vista. The only way to get PC2 to connect is to reset and hope and pray that it connects this time. Usually after a few resets, or a short wait then reset the connection returns to a usuall internet access. I have tried all the usual tests, reset modem, reset router, download latest drivers, diagnose connection, move router and reciever closer(even though the signal is strong in it's current possition). I'm at my wits end, and my partner (PC2) is losing interest in computers, which has taken me years to cultivate, as I'm a self confessed geek. I have never come accross anything like this in my time working with computers, so any advice would be greatfully accepted. P.S. PC1 connects every time without fail. Please, Please, Please help

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Advanced Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hi Tony and welcome to WTT :)

Hopefully I will be able to assist you with this problem as I have some experience with the type of router mentioned(both wired/wireless).

Before we proceed any further and myself attempting to answer some possible causes, I would like to have some pertinent basic information as follows please:

• Exact modal number of the Belkin router currently in use
  • Make/Model of PC:
  • Operating System:
  • CPU size:
  • Installed RAM:
  • Browser being used:
  • Type of ISP:
  • List any installed security software:
From your post I am assuming you should not have any problems posting back with my inquiries, though if you do, please do not hesitate to ask ok. I am not being factious saying this, just trying to be helpful ok and if you use the below template that would be more than helpful :).

[list]
[*][B]Exact modal number of the Belkin router currently in use[/B]
[*][B]Make/Model of PC:[/B]
[*][B]Operating System:[/B]
[*][B]CPU size:[/B]
[*][B]Installed RAM:[/B]
[*][B]Browser being used:[/B]
[*][B]Type of ISP:[/B]
[*][B]List any installed security software:[/B]
[/list]

Could you also run the following test(s) on your partners PC please:

PCPitstop:

• Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
  • Register and create a password.
  • Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests.
  • Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
  • Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.
The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns. If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Edited by Dakeyras, 08 June 2008 - 05:52 PM.

Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of the former ASAP and UNITE

#3 Tony

Tony

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:09 AM

Hi Dakeyras,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick, here is the info you asked for :

• Exact modal number of the Belkin router currently in use Belkin Wireless G Router, model F5D7230-4
    Model of reciever : Belkin Wireless G Plu Mimo USB Network Adapter, model F5D9050, ver 3001uk
  • Make/Model of PC: Packard Bell BV, IMEDIA J2422
  • Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium Version 6.0.6001 Service pack 1 build 6001
  • CPU size: Intel® Core™2 duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20Ghz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s)
  • Installed RAM: 2GB
  • Browser being used: Internet Explorer ver 7
  • Type of ISP: Virgin Cable
  • List any installed security software: AVG free version, PC Tools Spyware Doctor

Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page

Sorry didn't understand this bit? ^^ But have run the test.

PC Pitstop results URL : http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=20451922

Thanks again for your help and time

Kind Regards

Tony

#4 Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Advanced Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:39 AM

Hi Tony :).

I apologize for not replying sooner, somehow I overlooked the email notification of your reply in my in-box.

Sorry didn't understand this bit? ^^ But have run the test.

You did fine and the url you posted back is the TechExpress Link actually. Its just a slightly different setup since I last used it or asked someone too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll update my canned speech for it :thumbup:.

Ok from perusing the tests and other information you posted I cannot actually see anything that could be causing the problem. Some system maintenance is required but not a major issue plus some issues regarding the NVIDIA and Realtek drivers.
No harm rectifying them, by either updating/rollback re-installation, which I think you can do, if not sure do not hesitate to ask.

I notice you are actually using the Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Network Adapter with your router. With your make of router it should be the Wireless G USB Network Adapter. Now I am not sure if this is the actual issue, I will have to research further.

Now it is feasible the USB Network Adapter is faulty and causing the intermittent connection or the network adapter/desktop stand (if using). The driver for it appears to be ok
So lets try these options first:
  • The actual location of the USB adapter is important in my opinion, if within the routers optimal working range(around 300 ft and taking in to account walls, electrical appliances.
  • My recommendation is do not use the adapter/desktop stand but just plug the actual USB Adapter into a port.(I use this method myself with the two laptops in my own LAN)
  • Could you inform myself please in your next reply, if still problems, the actual location of your partners PC in relevance to the router etc.
  • Test the USB Network Adapter/network adapter/desktop stand (if using) on your own system, so we can rule out if this is indeed the culprit.
  • If working fine and no problems, then try it in a different USB port on your partners system.
If still no joy, on your partners system carry out the following:
  • Double click on the taskbar Wireless Connection icon to bring up the Belkin Wireless Networking Utility
  • Next click on the Help tab then on the Open Advanced Diagnostics Tool tab
  • Click on the Connectivity Test tab and inform myself if anything is marked FAIL, IE Loopback, IP, Gateway, DNS, WAN etc etc.
  • Now click on the Router tab, this will launch your internet browser or attentively enter this URL into your browser address bar: http://192.168.2.1/
  • On the main page check the status of the Connection Type , if it is anything other than Dynamic, we will change it. because even though Virgin Media Cable(broadband) is supposed to be static IP assigned it can indeed fluctuate at times.
To change status as follows:
  • Click on the Login option (top right hand corner) if you have a password setup. Note: if you do not I highly recommend you password protect your routers settings.
  • Next click on Lan Settings located left-hand side under Lan Setup:
  • Scroll down to the option Lease Time > and change this to Forever (if anything different) and click on the Apply Changes tab.
  • Now click on Connection Type located left-hand side under Internet WAN:
  • Change the setting to Dynamic (if anything different) and click on the Next tab, you can leave the Host Name> as whatever the default is or name it say PC2 etc. Now click on the Apply Changes tab.
Post back the outcome please and the anwsers to my questions if still any problems and I will have a re-think. If still problems it is possible we will have to consider a re-install of the USB Network Adapter driver software because as you mentioned your partners operating system is Vista and we may need to try a alternative installation method if none of the above worked. Also in the meantime I will attempt to find out if the USB adapter in use is the cause due to it not being the recommended modal.
Mammuthus Hibernian Scouserus, member of the former ASAP and UNITE