This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

http is being bloked on Port 80 but HTTPS etc are fine.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an issue (surprise surprise) i was hoping that someone could help me with… I have a Netgear router that has connected to it a PC via Ethernet. It also has a laptop connected wirelessly. Both computers are running XP SP3. The laptop is fine and works well, however the PC is unable to browse the internet over Port 80. I can connect via https fine. Emails work fine, just not standard port 80. I have windows firewall enabled and run AVG 8. With both disabled, the problem is still there. I believe the router is fine, though i have reset it, as i can connect fine via the laptop. I cant update AVG as this will not connect (I believe it updates on port 80 also though this is a guess) but have done a full scan on the PC with the latest definitions that I have. No problems found apart from the usual cookies. The plot thickens when I can ping the default gateway ok from the PC, and can ping the laptop, but I cant use IE to load the Netgear page to configure the router from the PC, I can from the laptop. I thought it might be a winsock problem and used the repair tool for that, didn’t resolve the issue. I have also checked out the hostnames file and that seems fine. Running chkdsk /r from the windows recovery console found a problem but did not resolve the issue. From here I am lost. The only thing I can think of is a virus/malware but without being able to update AVG I cant really confirm this. Unless someone can suggest a solution, I will be forced to reload Windows XP.
need to think more, sorry…..HTTS: is working fine. open a command prompt window type NETSTAT -a -n is it "LISTENING" on port 80 (near the top) ? Tallon41 [edit: if you boot into "safe mode with networking" can you reach the Netgear Router using IP address then ? ]
I have just run the netstat and port 80 seems to be missing from the list. Not to sure what to from here, i am at the limit of my abilities. The Netstat shows about 30 enteries, some TCP some UDP, some listening, some established. I dnt see :80 anywhere on the list. Safe Mode with Networking…… works a treat. Port 80 (http) access i have. Yahoooo ok, so what is difference between safe mode and normal, where do i look? Thanks for your help in advance
Hi Harvey_nz, Glad you got it fixed….. :thumbup: but come on…no need for embarrassment we've probqaably all done the same or similar things as well! and we are all very understanding here! so let us know how you fixed it. Regards paws
I am having the same problem as described by Harvey_nz. I however will not be to embarrassed for someone to tell me the resolution as it has been a pain in the rear. I also have AVG and have cycled firewall on/off, disabled AVG, uninstalled IE and reinstalled (using system cached install so definately not a clean install). XP SP3 was installed and I removed it thinking something would revert back to a working condition but to no avail. Any suggestions would be grateful and Harvey_nz, you may share your wisdom with the knowledge that I am unable to figure it out 8)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI