Well. There is no listing for both your 'wired' and your 'wireless' adapters. It would appear that only the wired adapter is listed, so I think one of them is 'disabled' perhaps?
Based on the results, I see the Jupiter VPN is not working. You will need to speak with the VPN network Admins to see why you are not getting a DHCP lease from them.
The IPConnectionMetric for the Jupiter is lowest and would be used first, it however has no default gateway, so request for the internet would fail if that were the only connection available. Since you do have another, it tries that one. It initially does appear, (because of the 'failure' label,) that there is a problem with the DNS server on that connection, but that is incorrect as the Network Aministrators have simply set those servers to "do not respond to WAN pings." Actual DNS traffic travels to a specific TCP port (53,) while the Ping command uses a totally different protocol (ICMP;) therefore the lack of Echo response is NOT a measure of DNS server performance. Those IPs appear to process DNS requests just fine, and so you have internet. If your LAN uses the same network 192.168.1.0 ; subnet 255.255.255.0 that you are trying, then changing then disable the Jupiter VPN and see if your connection to the LAN returns. If yes, then changing the IPConnectionMetrics so that the Broadcom is higher than the Jupiter would also work…..there is a catch however, whenever you do fix the issue with the Jupiter VPN, you will need to put back. Exporting the Registry keys before you change them would make it easy to 'restore' them.
Tallon41
[edit: that order is present because of the connection speed of the interface. 10 to one that is greater than 200Mbs and 20 to one that is between 80 and 200Mbs and 25 to one that is 20 to 80Mbs(as of SP2).]
Where do I make these changes?? In the Registry? You seem to have a pretty good handle on things, almost too good. My weakness has been networking (although I'm learning a lot with this problem).
Give a networking rookie some step by step instructions like they do in the Virus and spyware removal forum. ;-)
The only thing to try in my previous post on your own, would have been "disable the Jupiter VPN." A common task you may even know how to already:
Start—control panel—-network connections
Right-click on the adapter for Jupiter and choose -disable-.
This may also be accomplished by right-clicking[then -disable-] the network adapter in the system tray** for that connection, if there is more than one icon in the system tray, then beware of disabling the wrong one !
To re-enable the connection, you need to follow the first instruction, the choice would be -enable- then. The icon will dissapear from the system tray when disabled.
"Based on the results, I see the Jupiter VPN is not working. You will need to speak with the VPN network Admins to see why you are not getting a DHCP lease from them." If you truly need these resources, this problem will only go away if the fault is on the other end of the tunnel….just a thought keep in mind. Also if you're going to primarily use it via wireless, you should 'disable' the Computer Browser servcie.
Regarding instructions, or lack thereof. Much of trouble-shooting is choices. I try not to load-up posts with instructions that will not be followed because they were un-necessary or one of the 'paths not chosen', or perhaps even cause further confusion. Suggestions about what 'could' be done will require you specifically ask, (or research,) and will not deleved into right then; else we run the risk of needing a flow-chart to follow a-skip b&c, do d,e,f and so on.
[**The system tray is next to the Time displayed at the bottom-right of monitor, at the end of the Task Bar. A "wired" network connection looks like two monitors one higher than the other, while a "wireless" connection appears as a single monitor with several 'waves' coming-off of it to the right. Since the 'default' setting for windows is to NOT display that icon while the connection is 'good' you may not see it, though it may be turned-on via the Internet Protocol TCP/IP properties page for that Interface.]
Tallon41
Tallon41 -
Sorry about that suggestion, I understand your answer, it was that I thought there was some kind of instruction in your previous answer that didn't make sense to me. Now I see there really wasn't much instruction.
That being said, the problem is still manifest, and now, it has gone to the ridiculous. I can connect to the router…says I have an excellent connection but now all it wants to do is bring up the default dial-up connector. I remember in Windows 98 I could tell the modem to never dial up. I don't see that option, and now the laptop can't even find the Internet. (Sigh) I'm about ready to reinstall Windows XP as a repair.
Any ideas?
Ok guys…the basic connected not connected is still going on. I have regained the Inernet, but still can't see the rest of the workgroup that is attached to the same router. Well, let me rephrase that…I can see there is a "WORKGROUP" attached, but I can't see the individual computers, let alone the printers that are attached.
So, 21 messages later, I am right back to the original problem.
right-click the -start- button, then choose -explore-
when the window opens, maximize it and pull the scroll-bar in the left pane, (if present,) all the way to the bottom.
In the left pane near the bottom, locate "my network places", right-click it choose -explore-
when that window opens, you should see "entire network" in either the Left or Right panes (or both,) right-click and choose -explore-
when that window opens, you should see "microsoft windows network" Left or Right, right-click and choose -explore-
when that window opens, you should see at least one workgroup, right-click it and choose -explore-
what happens if you do the above ?
Tallon41
if you have disabled the Jupiter connection as instructed, then you appear to have something blocking NetBIOS.
What Anti-virus protection do you have ?
The Jupiter network has been disabled, with no change in the 'situation', and then re-enabled.
The Anti-virus is Symantec AntiVirus. There have been a few updates, but it's the same antivirus that is in all the 'company' laptops.
So…got any cyber nasal spray to unblock my NetBios?
well if you have the Internet Security version, then there is a "personal Firewall"
and unfortunately, it does not by default "trust" the rest of the local network.
Users would have to create that trust, or disable it's automatic blocking of the "local" network NetBIOS.
What version of AV do you have exactly ?
Tallon41
It just says Symantic AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.1.5.5000 .
Could this be something in the registry?
I even ran a "HiJackThis" scan, but don't think I see anything out of the ordinary.
Any ideas of what I could look for in the firewall that could be causing this? I've reset everything to 'default'. Short of doing a XP Pro SP2 repair update, I get the feeling we are running out of ideas.