Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

settings

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:12 PM

Grampy Pete, :thumbup: Excellent, glad all is well, and yes, one problem at a time would 'be the ticket'. kind regards,

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hate to do this but for your information only there is no choice at the bottom of my Windows live mail to do as you suggest - I searched high and low.

#18 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:47 PM

Grampy Pete,

Here is a picture of what I mean. You need to scroll right down the bottom in the left pane when you have WLM open, there you will see:
  • Add and e-mail account
  • Four Icons namely
  • Mail >Contacts>Feeds>Newsgroups>Messenger
  • Put your cursor over them to see what they are
Hopefully this picture may show you what I am referring to.

kind regards,

Attached Thumbnails

• Newsgroups_Icon_2nd_from_the_right_at_the_bottom.gif

#19 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

If you are a bit tired of this please just indicate so.
I have some new information for you so there is something to learning by probing.
Re: my AIO's inability to 'add' WLM = It was not in my pc as was O.E..
I googled WLM and downloaded it to be part of my machine and there it was as an addition to the AOI. Good!

You once distinguished between the various names Windows has, i.e., WLM, Windows Live Hotmail etc. Well I never had WLM all the time, I had Windows LIve Hotmail.

When I installed WLM I never did see the 4 icons even your pik refers to but that does not mean they were not there. I just did not locate them as I was rushing to become operable again.

Speaking of confusion, I must stop here to make a point; I tried to set up WLM ac't using the info from O/E. as a reference such as outgoing / incoming etc but I goofed + caused WLM to malfunction.

To become operable, I simplified by: 1-removing WLM as I could not set it up , 2-recreating O.E., 3-using WLHotmail and my Comcast ac't. 4- newsgroup searches as necessary. Altho awkward, this where I now stand so all can function.

Please do what you want at this point as I can function with these choices.
I would like to know about settings like pop3 smpt etc for WLM now that I can install it but only if you want to do so. Apparently I cannot justcopy my O.E. settings. Google and Microsoft were too confusing.
Otherwise, take the day off with my thanx for all you have done.

#20 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:41 AM

Hello tallin I just wanted to commend you on the precise location of your depiction of the icon; it can't be any clearer and I finally 'got' it.. Thank you

#21 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

tallin A light just went on in the midst of this confusion. Remember I told you a fouled up settings and thaought it was WLM; I believe I saw 'newsgroups at the bottom of WLM and treid to set that up. It apparently failed. I don't know if this relates to it but when I tried to open WLM from my AIO it said errors occured with the settings such as incoming and outgoing. This is for your info only if you wish to resolve this. :pullhair:

#22 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

Grampy Pete,

Firstly it would help considerably if you did not abbreviate as half the time I am struggling to understand you....for example

I don't know if this relates to it but when I tried to open WLM from my AIO it said errors occurred with the settings such as incoming and outgoing.

What is AIO?

To clarify, it would assist greatly if you do not abbreviate. If you do have Windows Live Mail installed and followed my Post #11, I cannot understand why you cannot set up your Newsgroup utility by following along with the prompts offered.

Keep me posted and do not hesitate to post back. We, that is you and I are going to solve this in the end

kind regards,

#23 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

AOI is the Canon all in one or multifunction device. WLM is Windows Live Mail. I can operate the various issues we worked on so perhaps a respite is in order. I am a 'hunt + peck' typist so abbreviations are appealing but inconsiderate.. I did not solve everything but you certainly helped me greatly. Here is where I stand; 1-I can use my Canon in toto. 2-I have my isp email and Hotmail as an alternative. 3-I use Outlook Express as my default mail program to open hyperlinks. 4- I now know how to install Windows Live Mail in my pc and where the icons are that your pictorial illustrated in order to set up newsgroups. After a while I may want to upgrade but for now I will give us both a rest. It was a pleasure working with you and again I applaude your patience; teaching in person can be difficult never mind by email. I look forward to speaking with you at another time. With much appreciation,

#24 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

:thumbup: Okayyyyyyy, I will go on holidays, but don't hesitate to reappear if you should want a chat about just anything that comes to mind! :popcorn: :wavey: all the best to you,