This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Computer Trojans, Pesky IE Popups

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

while I am checking this log , try and make your home page simple like google www.google.com When you go to google and your on the site, go to top of page, click on tools, then internet options, there you see home page either type in www.google.com, or click on use current. The difference may be the info that has to load. Are you on cable or dsl? also I notice that you like most others have too many tool bars open. Every time you down load something if you don't uncheck the add tool bar it loads one up. This too will slow you down,go to add/ remove programs in the control panel and remove these as I would. Now if you deem it nessesary for the tool bars leave alone. These are the ones I recxomend you remove: AVG Security Toolbar Google Toolbar Google Toolbar Notifier mschroe919
NEXT:
Lets try something here to speed up your PC.

First:

Please download 3ss

HERE:

Extract it from the zip file into a folder.
.
Run 3S under “Items To Clear” tab place a checkmark in all of them but the last.

then under autorun tasks just lock the ones you don't want to start. Your not deleteing them
just stopping them. You can start them manualy. You can use google to see what every auto run is.

Here is my suggested list
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
You may see only the >exe not the whole line as I put it here.

Good luck msschroe919
Hi mschroe, I am on DSL, he is on dial up but will be going to Charter when he gets his computer back. I removed the toolbars but I don't know how to get the Notifier Toolbar off. I can't find it. When I click your link above to download 3ss, it says "Error, Not Found" on the page. I think I was at the Igorshpak site but it gave me an error message and I didn't see a download. Pleae advise and THANKS! James
Hi Mschroe, I went under Manage Add Ons on the IE page and was able to locate the Google Notifier. I found some other stuff on there that I was able to disable and now IE is opening in about 6 seconds. Still can't download 3SS though so I'll wait on you. MUCH thanks! :D James
Hi Keej3

Looks like your doing a good job cleaning it up for your friend

try this ip for sss

HERE:

Good luck
mschroe919

When you finish make sure your friend sees it work at your place cause with dial up it will as you know be slow.

this should rap it up just let me know how you do with this now
Hi Mschroe, :wavey: That link worked and it looks like all is good here! :woot: Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you! You ARE the BEST! I truly appreciate you helping me like you have. This site is so awesome and you guys do such a great service for people who don't know what they are doing but get trojans and viruses from idiots who have nothing better to do. I am sure I will see you again as I really like just reading the threads here. VERY educational! Take care and MUCH thanks! :thumbup: James
Hi James
[external image: Posted Image]
I am happy if your happy

I see that your log is clean. You did great cleaning it up,
pat yourself on the back.

this is my canned all clean speech. ( Think I gave this to you before)

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Note you may have some of theses programs allready, if so just a reminder to keep updated.

FIRST:
You need to create a new Clean restore point.

Note: This will remove all previous Restore Points

Turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn it back on.

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Remove the Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Check "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, Uncheck "Show hidden files and folders."
Check "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.
===================================================================
NEXT:
Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:

1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
2. Click once on the Security tab
3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
4. Click once on the Custom Level button.

1. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
2. Change theDownload unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
3. Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
4. Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
5. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
6. Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
7. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
8. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.

Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
====================================================================

Use an Anti Virus Software
It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. See these links for a listing of some on line & their stand-alone anti virus programs:
If you don't have one here are some of the better AV products.

Symantec/Norton Antivirus: http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
Kapersky AV: http://www.kaspersky.com/buyonline.html?info=25
Nod32 : http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm
Panda AV: http://www.pandasoftware.com/
McAfee Virusscan: http://us.mcafee.com/root/package.asp?pkgid=100
AVG Anti-Virus (Free version available) http://www.grisoft.com/

Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
============================================================
NEXT:

Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
If you don't have one see link below for a free firewall:

ZoneAlarm:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/cata….jsp?lid=nav_za

Sunbelt Kerio:
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

OutPost:
http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/download.php
================================================================================

Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.

This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software

Get the download and tutorial for Spybot S&D here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial43.html
=========================================================================


Install SpywareBlaster
SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. A article on anti-malware products with links for this program and others can be found here:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
========================================================================

Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.
Happy surfing the net

I only ask one thing….please
Please post back and let us know what you think about our forum, we are all volunteers and would like a little smile.


Good luck and happy net surfing
Mschroe919
Hi Mschroe, :wavey: Great advice as usual! I think I have my friend set up good now, thanks to you! :thumbup: THANK YOU THANK YOU! I am sure I will be seeing you on here later since I can't stop telling everyone I know what a GREAT site this is. Have a GREAT week! :D James
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI