This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Internet Connection Problems

21 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi aak,

Well I am stumped at this point except to wait for you to post back with the results of the SFC Scan after inserting the OS CD first.

I now think you may have a virus to tell you the truth, but cannot see how you can post a HJT log here from said computer without internet connectivity to it.

How long is it since you cleaned out the temporary internet files and other maintenance on the computer that is giving trouble? All the suggestions below can be done without internet connection.

Now I would suggest you open "control panel" and then "Internet options." With the 'internet options' open, you will see the general tab. Next click on the "content" tab. You will see "clear SSL state." This normally is performed automatically but I have come across old data left in here. While you are here, you should clean the "auto complete" as well. There is a lot of data stored here that can breach your security and privacy. It is best to uncheck all three boxes and never use this feature, however if you like this feature, keep it.

To just clean the stored data, enable "auto complete" button and then the "clean passwords" then OK. Then enable the "clear forms" and then OK. It will wipe all of the stored information.

Now let's move on to the Java files. Open "control panel >settings and find "java plug-in" and click
on temporary internet files >settings >delete files >enable Applications and Applets, and Trace and Log file > okay.

Now while we have it opened, let's adjust the size from 'unlimited' down to "maximum 4 MB" and you
will be ready to go.

Another item that seems to get overlooked on today's maintenance routine is the "C:\windows\temp" folder. You should delete everything that is in this folder, BUT not the folder itself. If you have never done this, it will have a ton of stuff in it.
So run your disk cleanup, defrag, delete cookies etc often. There are other variations of these utilities
available although I have yet to find a problem with the ones that Windows provides.

To flush DNS cache click start, run, type cmd, and type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. (Note the space between the g /)

DNS = Domain Name Server, the cache referred to is where Windows stores all IP addresses it collects as you surf typing the IP to the domain name to surf to, this cache can grow large over a period of time causing a slowdown on your computer surfing and interaction.

Please reboot and see if the above helps

kind regards,

PS. Just received your last post re SFC Scan…thought that may have helped, but alas no! :thumbdown:
I clean out the temp internet files and such quite regularly (usually 1-3 times a week) using CCleaner. I also have Firefox clear the private data every time I exit. For the HJT log, could I just download it, put it on a flash drive, transfer to laptop, and then copy and paste the report in a file and save it to the flash drive again and post it on here??

Try a System Restore to before you started cleaning up your system, see if that resolves the problem.

can I do that if I've never set any restore points?? (oops…)

aak,

  • Right click on My Computer on your Desktop
  • Properties
  • System Restore
  • Is there a tick in Turn off System Restore?
  • If not highlight C:\Drive
  • Settings, and tell us what usage space is saved in MB
  • I suggest 1% (1095MB)
Let us know the answers to the above please.

kind regards,

Edit

aak wrote: For the HJT log, could I just download it, put it on a flash drive, transfer to laptop, and then copy and paste the report in a file and save it to the flash drive again and post it on here??

Yes, but the Malware fighters do not like attached logs, so explain your situation clearly giving them this thread link so they know what you have been trying to achieve with us. They are also very busy in the Malware forum, so your patience is required. When you post, do not answer your own thread over there in the Malware forum as the fighters look for posts with no answer to them.

All the best
Under the System Restore tab, the Turn off System Restore is not checked; the Disk space usage is currently set at 12% (6287 MB), which is the Max setting. In the Status area it says "IBM_PRELOAD (C:) Monitoring" I ran the HJT thing, so I'll read that rules page you linked me to. Thanks.
aak,

I read your posting on HJT forum, well done.

However, now you have posted your log, we are unable to help you in this thread. The reason being your log would no longer be the same as when you first posted it if settings are changed here today. If when you are cleared of any Malware please feel free to post back for any further assistance.

If you have not had an answer to your log within 5 days, please post a gentle reminder here

Below is what you would need to do to restore your computer to an earlier date. However I do not advise this due to your posting in the HJT forum.

  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • System tools
  • System Restore
  • Follow the prompts to restore you system to a chosen earlier date
You need to reduce the usage space as earlier posted as there is far too much Hard Drive taken up with your current System Restore folder.

kind regards,

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: System_Restore_C._Settings_gif.gif]
  • [attachment removed: System_Restore_C.gif]
Okay aak, :thumbup: thanks for the feedback, I will be watching your log over in the HJT forum. Those guys are awesome and never give up. kind regards,
From an MS article on System Restore: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h…temrestore.mspx

Windows XP periodically records a snapshot of your computer. These snapshots are called restore points. Windows XP also creates restore points at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed) or you can create and name your own restore points at any time.

As long as you have not disabled it, there should be sufficient restore points to chose from. You could try going back to just before you lost your Internet Connection, see if that works. If not, go back further. This WILL NOT cause loss of personal data but it always a good idea to have your data backed up before trying to fix the problem.
Well, I've exhausted the options in the other forum and stumped LDTate who was helping me. Any other possible ideas? I'm thinking of just reinstalling Windows because I really have nothing important that I need to have saved (just my music) and kind of would like to just clean everything out (over time I've added a couple programs never used anymore, and though most are uninstalled, there's still created folders everywhere that just clog my computer). Any thoughts? Thanks.
Hi aak,

Really sorry you are still having your problem with connecting to the internet.

I see you have been cleared of Malware by LDTate, just moments ago and he has suggested you come back here to this thread. I have been watching your progress with LDTate helping you with your nagging no connectivity internet problem.

This is just a log shot, and I know you have other computers there that are connected to the internet

BUT

I had a client on Saturday who called me in as he was having the very same problem as you are. I did the usual troubleshooting which did not improve things, so I asked him if he was paid up with his Internet Service Provider (ISP) yes, he was paid, so I rang his ISP Technical Support while at his home and sure enough the problem was with the telephnone exchange and not with his computer settings at all.

My clients exchange had a major hardware problem their end. Have you checked with your ISP that all is well their end?

Worth a try.

Keep us posted as others will hopefully come by to assist.

My only other suggestion would be for you to take your computer for a 'hands on' at your trusted IT shop nearby if there is one.

kind regards,
Well the internet I've been trying to connect to with my laptop is through the same router that is supplying internet to the desktop, so I don't think it would be the ISP problem. That is, unless my thinking is incorrect. Thanks for the idea though; I really need a new laptop anyways, this bad boy is 5 years old. All I use it for is to carry back and forth to school because I don't really mind if it gets ruined (my main use for it is to study for CPA Exam), but I've been saving for a new one so I can actually have a computer with sufficient memory.

Well the internet I've been trying to connect to with my laptop is through the same router that is supplying internet to the desktop, so I don't think it would be the ISP problem. That is, unless my thinking is incorrect. Thanks for the idea though; I really need a new laptop anyways, this bad boy is 5 years old. All I use it for is to carry back and forth to school because I don't really mind if it gets ruined (my main use for it is to study for CPA Exam), but I've been saving for a new one so I can actually have a computer with sufficient memory.

LDTate wrote:Yes unless your music files were infected.
Before a re-install, I would try uninstall the network cards first, reboot and let windows re-install them. It could be a driver issue with the cards.

aak,

Did you try what LDTate suggested in his quote above?

If you are happy, I would go ahead and reinstall Windows as you suggested.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI