That's too hard of a question to answer for probably anyone here, unless we just happen to have those two CPUs on identical motherboards configured the same way sitting in front of us, and a whole battery of benchmarks to test them with.
So what I do when I want to compare CPUs is go to the site that has the facilities, resources ($$$$) and engineers on staff to do proper testing, analysis, reviews, and comparisons. I recommend you check out
Tom's Hardware Interactive CPU Charts.
You are wise to research first, take your time doing so. My best word of advice for new builders is buy a good power supply from a reputable maker (see my canned text below). Then buy a good, sturdy case that supports multiple large (120mm or bigger) fans, preferably front and back. Flashy lights do nothing for performance, consume power add some heat, and do nothing for performance (worth repeating!). It is hard to go wrong with Antec cases, I use the Sonata's a lot because they have a removable, washable air filter that really works well at keeping the insides clean. Most are pretty plain (but the new
Skeleton is pretty cool), and actually, being open, should run cool, and more importantly, quiet - essential when used in a home theater setup. But generally, I like my cases to sit discreetly, and quietly out of the way as I tend to pay attention to what's happening on the monitors.
A good power supply will carry you through several upgrade evolutions, and a good case can last many more.
If you are comparing two CPUs that are close in specifications, get the cheaper one and put the money saved into better graphics. Plenty of RAM and a powerful graphics card will serve you much better than a CPU with a few more horsepower.
[cannedtext]
Use the
eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom. I recommend you set Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of
PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of your video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the
80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).
[/cannedtext]