Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Mypoisk.com / Allaboutsearching Nightmare!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 seatangl

seatangl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:19 PM

We recently purchased a new computer (less than 2-weeks ago). Unfortunately, teenage children downloaded Kaaza (sp?) and we've had major problems ever since. Our webpage continuously is changed to either mypoisk or allabout searching, unwanted sites are added to favorites. We upgraded from our standard McAfee that came w/the computer and downloaded Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and finally hijack this. Problems persist. We are not terribly computer savvy and desperately need some help in easy to understand language...can someone help? Many thanks!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Micah_6:8

Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 31 May 2004 - 12:29 PM

Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.com!

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM. - Coyote

In order to know how we can help, we need a "snapshot" of what's going on inside your PC.

The best tool for this is Hijack This!

Please make a permanent folder (not on the desktop) for Hijack This! (suggest "C:\HJT\"), and download it (from the link in my signature) into that folder.

Run it from that folder.

Click "Scan".

DO NOT "FIX" ANYTHING WITH IT YET!!!
FIXING THE WRONG THING COULD RENDER YOUR SYSTEM INOPERABLE!!!

Click "Save log".

Reply to this thread, and post the ENTIRE CONTENTS of the log file into this thread.

Someone will examine it for you. :)
Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Download Hijack This! My Website: UnSpyMe!

#3 seatangl

seatangl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:00 PM

Thanks so much for responding so quickly. Hoping that I've correctly saved/posted log file as requested. It is as follows:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 2:56:57 PM, on 5/31/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Privacy Service\GUARDDOG.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\bolt draw fork\pure tick grey.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\icack32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\winlogin.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 8 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://allaboutsearc.../searchbar.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://allaboutsearc.../searchbar.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {707E6F76-9FFB-4920-A976-EA101271BC25} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Peak Extra Memo - {9FBA782A-6D63-3D3B-6803-CADEDCE1C37D} - C:\PROGRA~1\FASTDU~1\byte ooze.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Heck Log] C:\PROGRA~1\bolt draw fork\pure tick grey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [xuhujeb] C:\WINDOWS\xuhujeb.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFTray] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Guardian] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe /SU
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [fash] C:\WINDOWS\fash.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoLoader5s4y1OKfWbXW] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\icack32.exe" /PC="AM.ICMD2" /HideUninstall /HideDir
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [5FnO34X] icack32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AutoLoader5s4k1OKfWbXW] "C:\WINDOWS\System32\icack32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TV Media] C:\Program Files\TV Media\Tvm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McRegWiz] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McRegWiz.exe /autorun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IM] C:\Program Files\RRIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TV Media] C:\Program Files\TV Media\Tvm.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: winlogin.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Research (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Privacy Bar (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {01111C00-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com ActionRunner Class) - http://help.rr.com/F...oad/tgctlar.cab
O16 - DPF: {10000000-1000-0000-1000-000000000000} - file://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\rjca.exe

#4 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:52 PM

Please make a permanent folder (not on the desktop) for Hijack This! (suggest "C:\HJT\"), and MOVE it (from the "temp" folder you have it in currently) into the new folder. It makes log files and BACKUPS (that you may need) and sometimes doesn't work correctly when running in a "temp" folder.

Next, please use the "Online Virus Scan" from the link in my signature. It appears you contracted WORM_RPCSDBOT.A as explained here:

http://www.trendmicr...SDBOT.A&VSect=T

Because virii, trojans, and worm can cause problems trying to get your browser unhijacked and your system back to normal, we need to be sure (as we can) that your system is "clean" before we begin.

Please note anything the scan finds and fixes (or can't fix) and include that information in your next post.

Please reboot after the virus scan is complete.

Next, we need to take care of what appears to me a LOP infection.

LOP infections are usually removed with Spybot Search and Destroy, and Adaware.

Please go here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

And download and run Spybot Search and Destroy.

Please reboot after running Spybot.

Then, please go here:

http://www.lavasoftu...ftware/adaware/

And download Adaware.

After downloading it, run it, and the first thing you need to do is "Check for Updates".

After updating it, there are som "tweaks" to make before your first scan to be sure it works as efficient as possible in getting the malware off your system.

Run Adaware.

Tweak as suggested below:

Look at the icons on the top right of the page and click on the ‘world’ and let AdAware update the spyware reference list
Once the update is finished click on the ‘Gear’ icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window
In the ‘General’ window make sure the following are selected:
# Automatically save log-file
# Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
# Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
Click on the ‘Scanning’ button on the left and select :
# Scan Within Archives
# Scan Active Processes
# Scan Registry
# Deep Scan Registry
# Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
# Scan my Hosts file
# Under ‘Click here to select drives + folders’, choose:
# All of your hard drives
Click on the ‘Advanced’ button on the left and select:
# Include additional process information
# Include additional file information
# Include environment information
# Include additional object details
Click the ‘Tweak’ button and select:
# Under the ‘Scanning Engine’:
# Unload recognized processes during scanning
# Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
# Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
# Under the ‘Cleaning Engine’:
# Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot
Click on ‘Proceed’ to save the settings.
Click ‘Start’ and on the next screen choose ‘Activate in-depth Scan’ at the bottom of the page and then choose:
# Use Custom Scanning Options
Click ‘Next’ and AdAware will scan your hard drive(s) with the options you have selected.
Save the log file when it asks and then click ‘finish’
Exit AdAware and reboot. Make sure nothing (new) seems broken.
NOTE: It's important to be able to tell which program removed what, in case of trouble. So as to know which program to use to restore with.

Then, please download CWShredder from the link in my signature to deal with the CoolWebSearch infection you have.

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS AND PROGRAMS EXCEPT CWSHREDDER!!!

Click "fix", and let it fix what it can.

Reboot, and post a new log file in this thread, and we'll cleanup anything that's left that needs taken care of. :)
Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

#5 seatangl

seatangl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:04 PM

Please forgive my ignorance but there's several roadblocks/questions I ran into trying to follow your directions. I thought that I had created a permanent folder (not on the desktop) for HijackThis the first go round. I could see on my log where it shows as: C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 8 for highjackthis.zip/hijackThis.exe. I created another folder (not on the desktop) in my C drive...I have a separate C drive temporary folder and HighjackThis is not in it. However, when I ran the log again its still showing in a temporary folder??? I'm confused. I could not download the "online virus scan" - this was through the trendmicro.com site, right? I rec'd a message that the controls on my computer would not allow Active X. I followed the directions to allow, but still would not work. Tried downloading the free 30-day trial suggested if you have trouble downloading the other, but became worried when it said I should remove any current firewall, virus protection currently on my machine. Won't that make me more vulnerable? I ran my McAfee virus scan, Spybot S&D and Adaware as directed. The McAfee virus scan found 2 items that cannot be cleaned: Adaware-BuddyLinks and Adaware TVMedia. I've been running scans very frequently since all my problems began and these 2 always popup and I always quarantine them. I could not download CWShredder from the link on your site, but found another download site and ran it. Not sure I've done anything that will help you, help me from the first go round but will post the log. Again, I apologize for my ignorance...this has been such an overwhelming and frustrating event for us...
Thanks!

This is the result of the log after conducting the McAfee virus scan and running Spybot S&D, Adaware and CWShredder
Scan saved at 8:29:05 PM, on 6/1/2004

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 8 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {707E6F76-9FFB-4920-A976-EA101271BC25} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Peak Extra Memo - {9FBA782A-6D63-3D3B-6803-CADEDCE1C37D} - C:\PROGRA~1\FASTDU~1\byte ooze.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Guardian] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe /SU
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TV Media] C:\Program Files\TV Media\Tvm.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O16 - DPF: {01111C00-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com ActionRunner Class) - http://help.rr.com/F...oad/tgctlar.cab

#6 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:09 PM

I understand that this looks quite overwhelming.

I apologize for trying to accomplish too much at one time. :oops:

Let's tackle the "worm" you've contracted.

According to this page at McAfee:

http://us.mcafee.com...al_instructions

Their software is supposed to remove this worm.

The presence of the worm is denoted by this entry:

I'm not sure how to use the McAfee software (I have Norton), but you should be able to "update" your virus definitions.

Some software is configured to to it "automatically" when you get online. Or it can be set-up for "manual" updates.

Find out how to "update" your virus definitions, and be sure they are updated.

One important topic to look at on the removal instructions is that you must turn OFF your system restore before attempting to clean the worm, then turn system restore ON afterwards.

On this page:

http://us.mcafee.com...al_instructions

Use the link "Additional Windows ME/XP removal considerations" to show you how to turn System restore on and off.

Here's your list of things to do:

1. Make sure your virus defintions are up to date.

2. Turn off your System restore (use the directions for "WindowsXP").

3. Run your virus scanner/cleaner. It should find and delete this worm: "W32/Spybot.worm.lz"

4. Reboot (if asked to do so by your antivirus software.)

5. Turn System restore back on.

If your software was successful in removing this worm, run Hijack This! again, and post a new log file.

If nothing was found or removed, post again telling us this, and maybe we can figure out how to get your system to let you run the online scan from Trend-Micro :)

#7 seatangl

seatangl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:20 AM

I updated my McAfee virus definitions (I think...checked for updates, none found) and ran - no infections found. Was also able to run the "online virus search" from the trendmicro com. site and it was clean. I also ran Spybot S&D and it found 2 entries (1) DSO Exploit and (2) Wild Tangent (it finds these almost every time I run the program). I rec'd an error message when attempting to "fix" reading, "application failed to start because msjava.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." ...it then said it fixed the problems (?). Ran Ad-aware and 1 object was found -- tracking cookie (data miner) - quarantined. I ran another log in Hijack even though the programs didn't pick-up the 04-Global Startup: winlogin.exe you mentioned... I noticed a program on the Merign.org site called Kazzabegone...wondering what you know about this program. Curious, as I'm guessing Kazza to be source of most of our problems. Again, thanks so much for your patience and guidance.

Scan saved at 8:18:57 AM, on 6/4/2004

Running processes:
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\RRIM\aim.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 13 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://mypoisk.com/index.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://mypoisk.com/sp.htm
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\RRIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E28B3A9-FE83-45D1-B657-D5426B81A121} (CustomerCtrl Class) - http://cs8b.instants...erxsigned41.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload.ma...ash/swflash.cab

#8 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:56 AM

OK.. I guess we'll try this. :)

Fix this with Hijack This!:

Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to show/tell you how.

Using Windows explorer, find and delete this file:

winlogin.exe

It's most likely in your Windows folder.
BE SURE AND DO NOT DISTURB ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WINDOWS FOLDER (if that is where it is)!!!

BE SURE AND DO NOT DELETE THIS FILE:

winlogon.exe <-- GOOD FILE KEEP!!!!

winlogin.exe <-- BAD FILE DELETE!!!!

Please note the difference.

Then, Click Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs and uninstall 'Window Search', 'Window Searching', 'Lop.com', 'LOP SEARCH', 'Browser Enhancer', or 'Ultimate Browser Enhancer' if listed.

If unable to find anything listed there, click the link below and download/run the LOP uninstaller:

http://lop.com/new_uninstall.exe

Reboot when done, and post a new Hijack This! log file in this thread. :)

#9 seatangl

seatangl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:18 AM

Ok...found the WINLOGIN.EXE file and deleted it. Went to the uninstall and found "Window Search" said it was already removed but wanted to know if I wanted it removed from the install/uninstall -- said "yes". Ran new log and attaching.

Thanks!

Scan saved at 11:11:16 AM, on 6/4/2004

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 13 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E28B3A9-FE83-45D1-B657-D5426B81A121} (CustomerCtrl Class) - http://cs8b.instants...erxsigned41.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload.ma...ash/swflash.cab

#10 seatangl

seatangl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:32 AM

Sorry...update to the updated log...

Scan saved at 11:31:11 AM, on 6/4/2004

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 15 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McRegWiz] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McRegWiz.exe /autorun

#11 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:40 PM

Good job seatangl!!! :)

With a little more great work on your part, we may have you "cured" this time.

I need you to run Hijack This! and fix these things:

Next, reboot in "safe" mode (use the link in my signature if you don't know how), then find an delete:

C: Posted ImageWINDOWS + Posted Imagefash.exe <--- delete this file

C: Posted ImageWINDOWS + Posted Imagexuhujeb.exe <--- delete this file

C: Posted ImageProgram Files + Posted ImageTV Media <--- delete this folder

C: Posted ImageProgram Files + Posted ImageFASTDU... <--- delete this folder
(can't tell the exact name. The name starts with "FASTDU")

Using Windows explorer, find and delete this file:

Posted Imageicack32.exe <--- delete this file

(probably in the C: Posted ImageWindows folder)

Some of these files/folders may be "hidden" (use the link in my signature to show/tell you how to show "hidden" files).

Then, boot in normal mode and post a new log file. :)

#12 seatangl

seatangl

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Micah...I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel!! I deleted the entries you noted in Hijack This. Wasn't able to find all the files for deleting in safe mode. The only one I found and deleted was the C: Program Files+ Fastdupe.

Here's my latest log:

Scan saved at 11:09:12 PM, on 6/4/2004

Running processes:
C:\Documents and Settings\Sue\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 16 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

#13 Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:24 PM

Posted Image

You did it!!!!

Posted Image

The log file looks GREAT!!!!!

Posted Image

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read: "How did I get infected in the first place?"

http://boards.cexx.o...topic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

http://www.staff.uiu...ehowes/main.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent infection.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck....s.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

Surf safe!!!!

GOD bless!!!!

M68 :)

#14 Daemon

Daemon

Retired Staff-Malware Expert

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 03:00 AM

Glad we could help :D

As this problem has been resolved the topic will be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)

The subject of the email must be "Reopen". Include your post username and details about why you need it reopened, with a valid link to your post.