This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Software to repair corrupted files?

28 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I put all my files on the external drive. Which would be best at this point - a clean install or using the recovery disks I have? If it's the clean install could you tell me how (step-by-step) to do this since I don't have the Windows CD? Also, I don't know how to use the recovery disks. Thanks Again! binkie
Binkie, since you don't have a Windows CD, your only option is to use the recovery disc you have. I would recommend to do the full restore that will bring the system back to the state it was in when you bought it. Then you can get rid of the stuff you don't want (PC Decrapifier is good for this as I mentioned).

You also want to have the Anti-virus program you are going to use in place of McAfee or Symantec on a CD or flash drive so you can install it as soon as you remove all the junk. I posted recommendations for this previously as well.

Once the AV program is installed, then you should apply SP3 so it would be a good idea to have that available on a CD as well. You can put the Av program and SP3 on a single CD. You can get the .exe version here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

Installing SP3 means you won't have to install SP2 and the 100+ updates that came out since SP2 was released. SP3 contains everything in SP2 plus the updates.
Hi Rich, I have everything ready to go now. I am just afraid that if I follow through with it I'll lose something else I won't know how to or be able to get back. Once again, I do want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sticking with me. binkie
Hi Binkie,

Yes, I agree Rich is good, but I must encourage you to proceed as you have put so much into finding our how to do things. Rich, or even me will be here to help if anything at all goes wrong and many other techies too will chime in if the worst was to happen. (we all work together, if it is beyond one we call in another for you)

Remember you have your backup to fall back on<<<>>>

Take a deep breath and off you go! :thumbup:

kind regards,
Okay Tallin, I sure hope you don't get fed up with me. I was reading HP's Support Guide for using the Recovery Discs and there are two options: - Standard Recovery which recovers factory shipped programs, drivers and the operating system without affecting any data files created since purchasing computer. - Full System Recovery which completely erases and reformats the hard disk drive, and reinstalls the operating system, programs and drivers from the recovery discs. But I will have to reinstall any software that didn't come with the PC. It noted that if the PC has a blank or corrupted hard disk drive I'll only see the full system recovery option. Am I correct to assume that this may be the case and go with the full recovery. I know this was discussed before but I want to be sure before I push the button. Thanks binkie
Hi Binkie,

Binkie, since you don't have a Windows CD, your only option is to use the recovery disc you have. I would recommend to do the full restore that will bring the system back to the state it was in when you bought it. Then you can get rid of the stuff you don't want (PC Decrapifier is good for this as I mentioned).

I suggest you follow post #34 just as Rich has advised you to do. :thumbup:

Let us known how you get on, but Rich's advice is the way to go.

kind regards,
Hi Guys, I did the clean install this morning. Guess what? My little old photo program works again!!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to reinstall all the software programs and move the files back to the C drive. I'm on my Windows 98 laptop right now but sure am looking forward to getting back to my regular computer. T H A N K Y O U S O M U C H , G U Y S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said it before but will say it again. YOU GUYS ARE THE GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shall sing the praises of this site to everyone I know. binkie
Binkie, :woot: You have done well, but in all your excitement, please be sure to follow through with Rich's post #34. An added bonus getting back your photo album software, there you go……it all worked out in the end. :popcorn: We are so glad we could assist you. kind regards,
Hi! I still have one problem associated with the clean install. I tried to find info on the microsoft site to no avail. When I restart the computer it exits windows as it should but then it just hangs in limbo. The screen is black and the monitor power button flashes as if it has no signal. Also the computer does not shut off when this happens. It does not begin starting back up and I have to manually hold in the power button to get it to power off and then power it back on. The shutdown function works fine. Thanks binkie
Hi Tallin! I don't think I explained the problem clearly. The computer starts just fine and works fine. It shuts down without a problem. What happens is after I have loaded a program and need to restart the computer. The program I have loaded comes up with a message, "do you want to restart the computer now." I click yes, then it hangs up. That's when I get a blank screen and the monitor power button turns orange. Also the computer does not shut off when this happens. The light under the power button stays on. I have to manually hold in the power button to get it to power off and then power it back on. I hope this is a better explanation of what happens. I forgot to add that the computer starts to shut down (for the restart) just fine. The Windows screen comes up and states that it shutting down just like normal. Then it goes blank and the monitor power button turns orange and it's hung up.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI