This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Software to repair corrupted files?

28 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi! I had Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition 1 on my computer and loved it. Last week when I turned on my computer the program would initialize then disappeared off the screen. I removed the program and used the disk to reload it but the same thing still happens. I wonder if a file had been corrupted since my printer quit functioning after making weird noises when I tried to print a photo from the Adobe program. If a file is corrupted (I haven't the slightest idea which one it would be), is there a software program I can download that would locate and repair it????? Thanks so much for any suggestions you can offer! binkie
:welcome: Binkie,

Have you tried System Restore?

System Restore Point facility

Go to:

  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • System Tools
  • System Restore follow the onscreen directions.Try to put your system back to a date before your troubles started.see how you go.
Note 1
Using this facility will normally preserve documents and data created by you in your My Documents folder, but some data files left on the desktop for example are at severe risk of being lost. For this reason it is recommended that before doing anything at all, you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, its worth updating it now.)

Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Note 2
It is always important to have System Restore, protecting your boot drive (usually Drive C:) unless your trusted adviser specifically recommends turning it off for a short while.
_______________

If restoring your computer above does not work for you, please consider doing the followoing:

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

  • Start
  • Run
  • type:sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
  • Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Windows XP Installation disc not available or wrong Service Pack - SP1 when SP2/SP3 is needed

There are work- arounds to this problem but the easiest, by far is to borrow one and use that. It is perfectly OK to do this, for the purposes of running SFC,and if you ask around all your friends, you are likely to find someone who will be able to help you out.
________________

SFC no disc, no friends able to help.

Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary. At the same time it would be wise to create a System Restore point, post back here if you need instructions on how to do this.

For the alterations needed to run SFC If you go here (http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html) you will find detailed instructions on the copying of files and the system changes you need to make. When you have followed all the instructions, reboot you machine and try to run SFC again, and please let us know how you go.
______________

Keep us posted and do not hesitate to ask for more help.

kind regards,
Thanks so much for replying, Tallin. I did try system restore and got the message that Windows was unable to restore to an earlier date. I'm afraid I really am a computer dummy. I don't have the installation disk since my computer came with it already loaded. Tomorrow I'll ask around to see if anyone I know has one. Sorry to ask a really stupid question, but how do I back up the registry? binkie
Hi Binkie,

No question is dumb, We are here to help you.

Here is a section out of my first post to you, please follow it closely.

Well you will need to do it the harder way and as a registry edit will be required it is essential that you back up your registry before you do anything else. Then in the event of trouble it will be easier to repair your registry. Download ERUNT from here: (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html) and take a moment to familiarise yourself with the programme and how to repair your registry with it if it should become necessary.

Best you try to borrow a Windows CD of your operating system as it is much easier than editing the registry.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

kind regards,
Thanks again for your patience and answering my questions, Tallin! I'm sure going to try someone who has the disk. Another question related to my photo program problem. I noted when clicking on the icon in program files that a message came up stating that the file is missing or the path is incorrect. I hadn't seen that message before. Is there a way to correct the path? And if so and it's corrected would the file then download and possibly I could then use it? I also tried loading the program on a laptop and the same thing happened. Could the disk itself be corrupted? binkie
Hello Binkie,

Where did you get the CD of Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition 1?

I googled it and Adobe no longer support it. Take a look here and see if any of the links apply to the problem you are having.

I would still advise you to borrow your exact OS CD and run SFC Scannow.

Your last question I cannot answer as I am not sure how you installed the program on your computer. Did you buy it on a CD, download it from Adobe or borrow it from a friend? Is it free or did you pay for it? Is your installation registered on your computer.

There are so many questions that need to be answered for us to help you.

Please post back with answers and we will attempt to assist you.

kind regards,
The Adobe photo program disk came with the very first digital camera I bought years ago. It is registered. When the problem started I went to Adobe's site and learned that they no longer support it. I also did a Google search and read through the archives in the Adobe site forums. Will check out your Google results tomorrow. Thanks again!
Hi Binkie,

Thanks for your reply and update about the program.

I suggest you uninstall Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition 1 through your Add and Remove utility. Then clean your temporary folder by using ATFCleaner.exe by Atribune. Then go to your
  • C:\Drive
  • Program Files
  • Adobe Photo Deluxe folder and delete everything in it.
  • Reboot and install from your CD again.
Your CD cannot be corrupted, but perhaps the program is that is installed at present.

If you have problems uninstalling Adobe Photo Deluxe, post back and let me know as there is a program that may help that I can suggest to you, however it is better to uninstall through Add and Remove in the first instant.

I would still like you to run SFCScannow when possible so keep us posted.

kind regards,
Thanks again for trying to help me. I had previously uninstalled it and then reinstalled it but it still didn't work. I did note that after the removal a message came up saying, "some elements could not be removed suggest you remove them manually." I have no idea where or how to look for those files. Could it be if I'm somehow able to locate those elements and remove them, then reinstall Adobe it would work? Can you tell me how to locate these elements? I did find someone who has the disk but he insists that it won't work on my computer because my computer came with Windows XP in it from the factory and his disk won't work because it is encoded to his computer and him. He said he had tried to use his disk with another friend and it wouldn't work. I sincerely apologize for being such a pain. If I were financially in a position to take it in to be fixed I would do so. I can't tell you how very much I appreciate it that you haven't given up on me yet. binkie
Hi Binkie, Please go through the steps in my last post to uninstall and reinstall, that could make a big difference to your first effort. Did you try the OS CD that you have borrowed, all computers are different…..your friend maybe correct, but it is worth a try. kind regards,
I uninstalled and reinstalled the Adobe program but still have the problem. Also did the scannow which checks the Windows files and nothing came up to indicate that there is a problem there. Thanks so much again! binkie
Hi Binkie,

I have asked one of the Senior Staff Members to step in and assist you with your problem. I am sorry I could not help you to a satisfactory conclusion.

kind regards,
Tallin, You have nothing to be sorry for. You have been so patient and worked so hard to help me, and I am deeply appreciate all your efforts! binkie
Hi binkie. Tallin asked me to look at this post to see if I have any ideas. I'm not exactly a Senior Staff Member but I am older than Tallin so I guess it sort of qualifies me :D

Unfortunately, he's covered it pretty well. The only thing I noticed is you said

I also tried loading the program on a laptop and the same thing happened. Could the disk itself be corrupted?

That sure sounds to me like there is a problem with the CD itself since the same thing occurs on more than one computer. Have you looked at it for scratches or smudges (finger prints can cause real problems).

Since Adobe doesn't support Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition 1 anymore, I don't know where you can go to get any assistance with this. One thing you can try that has worked for me sometimes is to make a copy of the CD using your CD burning software, then try using that CD to do the install with.

First though, you need to follow Tallin's removal instructions to the letter:

Uninstall Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition 1 through your Add and Remove utility. Then clean your temporary folder by using ATFCleaner.exe by Atribune. Then go to your
  • C:\Drive
  • Program Files
  • Adobe Photo Deluxe folder and delete everything in it.
  • Reboot and install from your CD again.

I would add scanning the registry for photo deluxe and removing all entries as one additional step. This should be a safe thing to do now that you have a backup of the registry using ERUNT. I use RegSeeker to do my registry searches. A lot easier to use than regedit and it also makes a backup of every registry entry you change or delete unless you tell it not to. Do this before you reboot and reinstall.

You also said

I noted when clicking on the icon in program files that a message came up stating that the file is missing or the path is incorrect.

That typically means the program is no longer installed or you installed it to a different location that the icon is pointing to. If you right click on the icon and select Properties, it will tell you in the Target field where it expects to find the executable.

The key here seems to be completely removing all vestiges of Adobe Photo Deluxe Business Edition 1 from your computer. Be very meticulous in following Tallin's directions. Take your time and make sure everything is completely removed, then give it another try.

Post back with results.
Thanks Rich. I will burn another disk. Could you please tell me how to scan the registry for any of the Adobe photo elements that may still be there? binkie

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI