This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

crashes while watching videos and flash based pages

39 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

If (1) instance of streaming video is functioning well and as expected without crashing, then you may decide to declare victory and resume using the machine as you have in the past.
Isn't it highly unlikely that you would want to or need to view 4 instances of streaming video at the same time.
Sure it's a possible "stress test" but not representative of ordinary functioning.

Yes, Try the external Fan.
________________________________________________________________

is it possible that maybe my windows is corrupted from spyware and all that nasty stuff even after it was all cleaned out?


Sure, it's "possible", but you report that you ran command sfc /scannow without returning any results.
So that would indicate that the operating system has all of its correct files.
You also report having run command chkdsk /r without returning any results, indicating that the hard drive file structure is free from error of bad-sector.

You haven't clearly responded to inquiry about any Warnings in Device Manager, but you have indicated that you updated your AGP driver, and the machine is "generally" running now.
_________________________________________________________________

Your initial problem report stated that your machine experienced a "surge" and that correct functioning declined from that point forward. You further reported that you identify discoloration of the contacts of your AGP Card.

That report of "physical damage" suggests possibility of Motherboard, Chipset, CPU, PCI and PSU problems.
You've also discovered that your machine did, in fact, respond favorably to a little cleaning with compressed air.
________________________________________________________________

What would I do?

I'd give the interior of the case another very thorough cleaning with compressed air and I'd make absolutely sure that air intakes and exhausts were not clogged.
Note: it was not a mistake to attempt cleaning the PSU by directing compressed air into its intake slots.
In fact, if you got a big cloud of dust, you should persist with more compressed air until the cloud disappears.

If cleaning alone restores the machine to prior level of good functioning, I'd be happy. and would continue using the machine for prior routine computing.

If not, I would consider replacing the PSU and wire harnessing.
________________________________________________________________

After the above, even if the machine was running adequately…
I would keep all important documents and media backed up regularly to external CD, DVD, or external HD.
I would keep the OS updated.
I would keep the security software updated and run regularly.
I would use a competent temporary file cleaner such as ATF-Cleaner on a regular basis.
I would use compressed air on a more frequent regular basis for physical cleaning.
I would reduce the number of lights and/or appliances plugged into the same house circuit as the computer.
I would regularly inspect the inside of the case for dirt/debris/air-circulation/fan function.
I would regularly inspect the MotherBoard capacitors for bulging and/or leaks.
I would "only" connect the computer and peripheral devices to power via a fresh surge-protector.
_________________________________________________________________

No one really knows how long a machine actually lasts.
Most folks estimate that a Hard Drive should last 3-5 years
But I have functional HDs that are way over 10 years old and I regularly run a PIII machine with Win2000 that I pieced together from throw-away parts in 1996.
_________________________________________________________________

But after a damaging "surge", I would remain suspicious that the machine's or various components' lifetime had possibly been shortened.

Doug
Hey doug I just spent a good time checking things inside my mother board I took lots of pictures and i'll have them up in a second with some sort of captioning one thing with this "Repair Installation" will I lose any of Mp3 and other application data I have
"If all goes well"…… no. Repair installation is not "intended" to interfere or affect saved documents and media files. But…………… You should have all of your important files and documents backed up to separate media such as CD/DVD/separate Hard Drive. "Before" performing a Repair Installation. What do you need to save? Documents images videos Installation files for application software "All" Drivers Email files (for instance .pst file from Outlook, if you use Outlook) Browser Favorites Documentation of various Passwords and usernames for use on your computer and for online logins Repair installation is "supposed to be" safe and non-destructive, but…. problems have been known to occur. Therefore you should have anything you want to "save" backed up……….. or else anticipate possible loss. Doug
📎DSC00480.JPG * This is what I was trying to explain in the previous posts -Dont know if this explains anything but I find it to be a bit odd 📎DSC00484.JPG *The damage from the surge to my video card 📎DSC00493.JPG *Just another shot of my video card damage 📎DSC00492.JPG *I get this all the time when powering up my computer from a cold start, I have to figit with the power cables to get it to work eventually 📎DSC00512.JPG *Possible damage to these components that I never saw / overlooked but they looked odd, notice the stuff on top, it doesnt come off as I thought it was just dust another thing those are quite oversized compaired to the other ones

"If all goes well"…… no.
Repair installation is not "intended" to interfere or affect saved documents and media files.
But…………… You should have all of your important files and documents backed up to separate media such as CD/DVD/separate Hard Drive. "Before" performing a Repair Installation.

What do you need to save?
Documents
images
videos
Installation files for application software
"All" Drivers
Email files (for instance .pst file from Outlook, if you use Outlook)
Browser Favorites
Documentation of various Passwords and usernames for use on your computer and for online logins

Repair installation is "supposed to be" safe and non-destructive, but…. problems have been known to occur.
Therefore you should have anything you want to "save" backed up……….. or else anticipate possible loss.

Doug


Yeah I want to try that however I dont have and external hard-drive
With or Without an External HD, you should save important documents and media to CD/DVD and store them separately/away from your computer area for protection. No External HD - not really a problem. You should be using CD/DVD for longer-term backup anyway. External HD's are not final solutions. They tend to wear out faster than internal HD's.

*Possible damage to these components that I never saw / overlooked but they looked odd, notice the stuff on top, it doesnt come off as I thought it was just dust


Well, I cannot make any "conclusions" from that picture of suspect capacitors.
However, they do appear "suspect".

The shiny metal "cap" portion of capacitors is generally a mirrored or brushed-satin "flat" surface with "no" texture.
There appears to be "texture" on some of those capacitors……… That's part of what makes them look "suspect" to me.
The one on the far-right also appears more "distorted" than the others, but that could easily be an artifact of the camera.

What would I do?
Keep an eye on them for sure!
Have a local repair shop have a look, probably.
Ask for a repair estimate and compare that to the cost of complete replacement of the MotherBoard (always my preference).
Alex, Sorry, I do not get any useful information from the AGP card pictures you posted. Please edit with an arrow or something to draw attention to what you are observing.

*I get this all the time when powering up my computer from a cold start, I have to figit with the power cables to get it to work eventually


The use of the word "figit" in the same sentence with the statement - "I get this all the time"… just cannot be good! :(
________________________________________________________________________________
___________

Though your screen-shot shows your CPU functioning at expected settings, your DRAM appears to be "throttled back".
Not good. The MotherBoard may be reducing RAM function as a result of those capacitors, or maybe as a result of compromised PSU. Or there might be just a setting that we haven't found yet. But it is not good news.
________________________________________________________________________________
___________

Taken as a whole, I think it is fair to say that physical damage is involved in your problem.
Taken as a whole, I think it is fair to be concerned about TTD (time-to-die) expected future service and life expectancy of the machine.

Though your screen-shot shows your CPU functioning at expected settings, your DRAM appears to be "throttled back".
Not good. The MotherBoard may be reducing RAM function as a result of those capacitors, or maybe as a result of compromised PSU. Or there might be just a setting that we haven't found yet. But it is not good news.


What can we do to fix this "throttling back" as I think this is a result of poor system performance
Start saving to CD/DVD! I have all the music that I generally wish to listen to on my machine's HD, but I also have it backed-up on External Hard Drive AND I have it burnt to CD's which are stored away from dust, moisture, heat and sunlight and away from the computer. I burn two types of CD's Audio - capable of being inserted into car or other players, including the computer Data…. The original raw file with file extention .mpg, .wma, .wav, or whatever. These are the true backup-backups. ______________________ I don't know if there really is anything we can do about the RAM settings. Best I can do is ask another Tech to have a look and hope for a better answer. I'll ask a couple of folks to look in. As it is, though, I think you've "pulled the rabbit out of the hat"…. Meaning that you've worked magic in your repair and can be proud of your progress up to this point. As to TTD, Backup, Backup, Backup………….. sooner better than later!
Alright I am going to do some thinking thanks for looking further into the DRAM settings for me Doug I still remain positive that the problem can be fixed

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI