ok, i stayed with it and the internet connection came through. I copied the file and put it in ComboFix.exe and it is running now.
it ran and i was able to copy the CF log file, now it seems to be hung and i can't run anything.
I waited and powered off and restarted and i'm back to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com window.
This thing is really nasty. Let me go back through everything again and I'll give you a post later. I'm tired of this for now but I'm not going to let it beat me.
Thanks a million. I'll be back on in about an hour.
LDTate, sorry i didn't get back with you until now. I went home Friday and due to the storms here we didn't have internet. On Saturday, i redid everything you told me and still had problems. So i removed many of the programs specifically the music download stuff and re-ran everything again and wouldn't you know it, problem solved! For now. The unit boots up normally. I've asked Dell for the operating system CD's and I'm thinking that I will eventually save the info and reformat the unit and reinstall the op system and software and omit the carp** that caused the problem. The programs you recommended worked great, they identified problems on other units I have. Much appreciated your help.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI