This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Browser Highjacked By Porn

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello - I have downloaded HighJackThis and created a logfile. My children can no longer use my computer because porn pops up from no where. I have tired the sybot program, etc…and I am at the point of totally wiping out my computer and reloading the operating system. If anyone can review this log and let me know if there is any obvious malware that should be deleted I would be very grateful. Thanks!


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:10:25 AM, on 12/29/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\ssonsvr.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MI6841~1\MSSQL\binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MsgSys.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Highjack This\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hometab.bellsouth.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.gatewaybiz.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hometab.bellsouth.net
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FCADDC14-BD46-408A-9842-CDB57890086B} - C:\WINNT\syskey.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F5735C15-1FB2-41FE-BA12-242757E69DDE} - C:\Program Files\NetZero\Toolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\BellSouth\hcenter.exe" /starthidden /tgcmdwrapper
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {17163BB4-107E-11D4-9B76-006097DF2317} (EABootStrap Class) - http://aol.ea.com/downloads/games/common/b…trap/iegils.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…s/yinst0401.cab
O16 - DPF: {34805D32-AD89-469E-8503-A5666AEE4333} (RdxIE Class) - http://207.188.7.105/0894fd4883b7d8598601/netzip/RdxIE.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200112…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {739E8D90-2F4C-43AD-A1B8-66C356FCEA35} (RunExeActiveX.RunExe) - hcp://system/RunExeActiveX.CAB
O16 - DPF: {77E32299-629F-43C6-AB77-6A1E6D7663F6} (Groove Control) - http://www.nick.com/common/groove/gx/GrooveAX27.cab
O16 - DPF: {7D1E9C49-BD6A-11D3-87A8-009027A35D73} (Yahoo! Audio UI1) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yacsui.cab
O16 - DPF: {99CDFD87-F97A-42E1-9C13-D18220D90AD1} (StartFirstControl.CheckFirst) - hcp://system/StartFirstControl.CAB
O16 - DPF: {DED22F57-FEE2-11D0-953B-00C04FD9152D} (CarPoint Auto-Pricer Control) - http://carpoint.msn.com/components/ocx/aut…/autopricer.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/popc…aploader_v6.cab
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
O23 - Service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service - Roxio Inc. - C:\WINNT\System32\ImapiRox.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PictureTaker - Unknown - c:\fixit\pt\PCTKRNT.SYS (file missing)
Hi Mary, Welcome to TomCoyote forum. Let's see what we can do to clean this up.
I suggest you check your version of Weatherbug, old versions were loaded with malware.
http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

Information for you in red

Enable Hidden files, locate your Operation System , for instructions go here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…showtutorial=62

Scan with HijackThis and check each of these line items:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {00000010-6F7D-442C-93E3-4A4827C2E4C8} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FCADDC14-BD46-408A-9842-CDB57890086B} - C:\WINNT\syskey.dll
Xpehbam.biz dialer related malware= http://computercops.biz/clsid-1172.html
O16 - DPF: {34805D32-AD89-469E-8503-A5666AEE4333} (RdxIE Class) - http://207.188.7.105/0894fd4883b7d8598601/netzip/RdxIE.cab
Netster
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/200112…meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {739E8D90-2F4C-43AD-A1B8-66C356FCEA35} (RunExeActiveX.RunExe) - hcp://system/RunExeActiveX.CAB
O16 - DPF: {99CDFD87-F97A-42E1-9C13-D18220D90AD1} (StartFirstControl.CheckFirst) - hcp://system/StartFirstControl.CAB
O16 - DPF: {DED22F57-FEE2-11D0-953B-00C04FD9152D} (CarPoint Auto-Pricer Control) - http://carpoint.msn.com/components/ocx/aut…/autopricer.cab
O23 - Service: PictureTaker - Unknown - c:\fixit\pt\PCTKRNT.SYS (file missing)


Close all programs but HJT and all browser windows, then click on "Fix Checked"

RIGHT click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete this item if it is there.

C:\WINNT\syskey.dll >>> in red only

Run Cleanmgr: Start, Run type "cleanmgr" without the quotes then ok. Check and remove anything windows locates. Empty the recycle bin and restart the computer. Use the information in the next two links to stay in this tread, then post a new log along with your feedback, anything you think we should know.
When replying to your topic, please use the
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/style_images/1/t_reply.gif
button NOT the
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/style_images/1/t_new.gif
button.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Classroom Advanced
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
psKelley: Thank you so much for your reply. I followed all of your instructions. Here is my new logfile. Your input is greatly valued!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 1:24:50 PM, on 12/31/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\ssonsvr.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\winhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MI6841~1\MSSQL\binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MsgSys.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe
C:\Highjack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hometab.bellsouth.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.gatewaybiz.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hometab.bellsouth.net
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F5735C15-1FB2-41FE-BA12-242757E69DDE} - C:\Program Files\NetZero\Toolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\BellSouth\hcenter.exe" /starthidden /tgcmdwrapper
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {17163BB4-107E-11D4-9B76-006097DF2317} (EABootStrap Class) - http://aol.ea.com/downloads/games/common/b…trap/iegils.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…s/yinst0401.cab
O16 - DPF: {77E32299-629F-43C6-AB77-6A1E6D7663F6} (Groove Control) - http://www.nick.com/common/groove/gx/GrooveAX27.cab
O16 - DPF: {7D1E9C49-BD6A-11D3-87A8-009027A35D73} (Yahoo! Audio UI1) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yacsui.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/popc…aploader_v6.cab
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
O23 - Service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service - Roxio Inc. - C:\WINNT\System32\ImapiRox.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
I forgot to mention that even after following all the instructions when I go to my Temporary Internet Files folder I see links to porn and I do not know why it auto-generates like that when I never visit those sites. Is there any way I can keep that from happening? Is there any agency where I can report this abuse? Thanks in advance! Mary
Hi Mary, You have picked up another Hijacker that was not in your first log. Look at the first log and then the second one for this item:
C:\WINNT\winhost.exe = please read:
http://computercops.biz/startuplist-3582.html
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas…ibrary/winhost/

You appear to be running some kind of corporate version of Norton: C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
Is the product up to date. Do you have your SP2 fire enabled. Review the information and see if you can figure out how this item got in. This had to have happened since you sent the first log as a review of the two logs will show. I would like you to look at the balance of the ActiveX controls that I do not recognize but but do not test as hostile. The spyware writers create stuff faster than I can keep up with it. If you do not know it, or no long use it, fix it at that point.

Enable Hidden files, locate your Operation System , for instructions go here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind…showtutorial=62

Open your Task Manger then the Processes tab, if this item is there, end process on it. We may need safe mode to kill this one but will try in standard mode first.
C:\WINNT\winhost.exe

Scan with HijackThis, look over these ActiveX plugins, if you do not recognize them, or know you do not use them, Check them:

O16 - DPF: {17163BB4-107E-11D4-9B76-006097DF2317} (EABootStrap Class) - http://aol.ea.com/downloads/games/common/b…trap/iegils.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/cha…v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/…s/yinst0401.cab
O16 - DPF: {77E32299-629F-43C6-AB77-6A1E6D7663F6} (Groove Control) - http://www.nick.com/common/groove/gx/GrooveAX27.cab
O16 - DPF: {7D1E9C49-BD6A-11D3-87A8-009027A35D73} (Yahoo! Audio UI1) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yacsui.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/popc…aploader_v6.cab

If you have checked any, then close all browser windows and programs except HJT and click on "Fix Checked"

RIGHT click on Start then click on Explore. Locate and delete this item if it is there.

C:\WINNT\winhost.exe >>> file vip that we delete this one!!

Run clean manager again using the earlier instructions, BE SURE you check to remove everything located, this should clear all temporary internet files.
Empty the recycle bin and restart the computer. Post a new log with your comments, make sure to stay in this same thread.

Here is a small utility for you to look at, it is said that it does a better job of cleaning these type of files than cleanmgr: http://www.igorshpak.net/

I would like to see you run at least one free online virus/trojan scan. Have anything located cleaned or fixed. Let me know the results:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co…n_principal.htm
If you have any problem with that one, try this one next:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

I am also going to give you links to information now to help you stay clean, as we need to get programs into place to block how this stuff is getting in. I usually give this information with a clean log, but I am giving it to you know so you can start
using the information to put some layered protection in place. I personally run:
McAfee VSO
Ad-aware and Spybot
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
& IE-Spyad
And I still look at my own log at least once a week.
Thanks to Tony Klein, Texruss, ChrisRLG and Grinler for this information:
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051
http://russelltexas.com/malware/allclear.htm
http://www.cjwd.demon.co.uk/compsafetyonline.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topict2520.html

Is there any agency where I can report this abuse?


There must be, try a http://www.google.com search for that information.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Classroom Advanced
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
Happy New Year!

Okay - I went back and killed winhost.exe and then deleted it. After deleting this I noticed that porn links no longer auto-generate in my temporary internet files folder. My firewall is on at all times. Norton is up-to-date. I scanned my computer and it found no viruses. I deleted all the controls I do not use.

I run spybot and ad-aware all the time. However, they always seem to miss the problem. I have gone back to my WINNT folder and noticed that several of the hostile files, winhost.exe included, have a date of 10-27-04 (may not mean anything). However, I did a google search on syskey.ini and came to some link with a summary that had sexshows.exe in it. I was terrified to click on the link so I didn't. Anyway, is this a file I should eliminate? Also, I found iun6002.exe (read that it may be spyware?) What about wininit.ini, conscorr.ini, JBFKLGG.ini and sys1st.exe?

I downloaded system security suite as recommended. Will now download virus protection software.

Here is my new logfile:


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 9:57:10 PM, on 1/2/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Citrix\ICA Client\ssonsvr.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MI6841~1\MSSQL\binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Support.com\BellSouth\hcenter.exe
C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MsgSys.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Highjack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hometab.bellsouth.net/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.gatewaybiz.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://hometab.bellsouth.net
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZeroBar - {F5735C15-1FB2-41FE-BA12-242757E69DDE} - C:\Program Files\NetZero\Toolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\BellSouth\hcenter.exe" /starthidden /tgcmdwrapper
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINNT\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
O23 - Service: IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service - Roxio Inc. - C:\WINNT\System32\ImapiRox.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Mary
Hi Mary, Let me see if I can give you a little information. (hopefully it will all be correct)

I run spybot and ad-aware all the time. However, they always seem to miss the problem.


Keep in mind that while these are great programs, there basic function is to locate and remove adware. (they will get some other stuff also, but don't count on it)
They are passive programs and your defence needs to be layered with active programs to prevent them from getting on your computer in the first place. That is why I gave you the earlier information and the links. Once again let me say all products are worthless unless they are kept updated and maintained, and in the case of Ad-aware and Spybot, run often. Keep in mind the item was a virus and your AV program is supposed to stop viruses, and if it is not current, it will miss them also.

I have gone back to my WINNT folder and noticed that several of the hostile files, winhost.exe included, have a date of 10-27-04


Are you takling about the Windows Temp folder? If you are you can delete everything in that folder. Make sure to delete JUST the contents, not the folder. If there is a lot, go to Edit at the top and Select All, it will highlite everything, then delete.
If something in there is being used, you will not be able to delete it, you can try to get it later when the program that was using it is not running

Your log is clean of all malware right now, print a copy for the wall and if something new shows up, make sure you are the one who puts it there…lol
Clean out all the cookies, TIF files and Temp files and see how it goes. You now have a clean log and the tools to keep it that way. Good job.

Thanks…pskelley
TomCoyote forum
Classroom Advanced
If you get help here consider a donation:
http://tomcoyote.com/donate.php
If you are reading this information…thank a teacher, If you are reading it in English…thank a soldier.
If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link
(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.


To help keep you clean follow the recommendations in Tony's article here:
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI