Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unable to open any microsoft related websites

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:26 AM

Ok here's what happens... I made the Phishing changes before I tried the below...

http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx
Opened but took forever to load

http://www.microsoft...11/default.aspx
Loaded an error page from Microsoft with this message "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."

www.CNN.com
Never loads, it just keeps spinning like its trying to load but I don't even get a page cannont be found message.

http://drudgereport.com/
Loads slowly but no matter what I do the same images are missing and the same images display. All tect and links display fine.

http://www.foxnews.com/
Takes forever to load but when it does all images appear. Trying to navigate to another page take the same amount of time to do but the images all load.

I tried to go to the Symantec site to order a virus protection application and the pages all load until I try to go to any page with a download link for the software. I was able to order it and complete the sale but not load the link that allows me to download the software.

windowsupdate.microsoft.com
still getting this message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Yahoo Messager
Application loads up but I cannot sign in

EverQuest
Patcher loads up but takes forever then it cannot make a connection with the game servers.

Wanted to give you a little variety to see whats happening.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

That's very odd, those are basically the symptoms of having a slow internet, such as dialup. But if you use a modem it should be fast enough to load the images. I'll still try to look for some more fixes but at this point your best bet is to get a different browser, FireFox to be specific. FF is more secure and runs a bit faster than IE, it should load the images a lot better too. See if you can get to there site and get the download started, try going to the same sites as in IE and see if you get any of the same problems. Also when you download things, what is your kilobytes per second usually at? are they about 1-10 or 50-80? If you can supply any info on your kbs that will help. EDIT: Well I'm using my IE7 now and I'm going to test out your links. I normally use FF and right away IE is already taking forever to load these simple WhatTheTech topics. I also put my cache down to 50, which is what yours is at, I'm not sure but it may be linked to that, I'll make more suggestions once I test out those sites. Ok, they all worked fine for me when the cache was on 50, they loaded pretty slow because it's IE but if you get FF it may fix the slowness for you. Also I'm assuming that because you use a modem your not using dialup, but I'm starting to think you are. When you connect to the internet, do you have to start a sepearte program and wait for a minute for it to connect? Or do you just double click the IE shortcut and off you go?

Edited by Vectris, 13 August 2008 - 01:55 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#18 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

I just double click IE and off I go. I have three PCs on my home network, One for work which i am using now, one for my son and my own workstation. The PC that is having all the issues if my own work station. I have no issues at all any of the other PC's and my workstation was fine up until yesterday morning.My internet connection is through Time Warner Cable. Typically my dowloads are in the 50-80 kb range. I even shut down my sons PC while I was working through all the fixes. All the websites I listed above work fine on the other PCs. Just confusing but something did change over night the night before last.

#19 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

Barneswd,

Can you get to this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

If you can, you might try working through some of microsofts suggested solutions.
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#20 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

Well barnes, your connection speed looks fine then. Do all 3 of your computers connect the same way, through a modem? And how many modems do you have, one for each or do 2 of them share one? Also you can try the link Tomk gave you (if you can see it) but keep in mind most of those are temporary fixes. Such as using IE without add-ons and disabling your firewall. There are some in there though that may work, assuming you can get to the page, try Method 2,3, and 4 under General Trouble Shooting. Under Advanced Trouble Shooting try Method 2,4,5 and 6. Also if you can't get to the page I'll save it to my computer and host it somewhere for a download so you can try various methods in it.

#21 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

Wow!!! WooHoooo!!!! I was able to get to the page and step three cleared the problem. After shutting down the router and cable modem and then rebooting everything I was able to load all the pages I was no able to load before. My guess is that I rarely shut down and restart my personal work station but I shut down my work PC and my sons PC all the time. My sons PC was acting slower than normal but my work PC was fine. I am never sure what my son has on his PC so I don't give it much weight when it acts up. I can't belive I didn't try that myself. :P Thank you all for all your help! I'll be donating to your website today!! You guys ROCK!!

#22 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

Tomk, I must say I'm jeaous XD, you solved it in one post, nice. Glad it was solved Barnes, happy surfing!

#23 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

Barneswd,

:woot: Success. Glad we could help.

Vectris,

I must say I'm jeaous

No reason to be. Even a blind pig gets an acorn once in awhile. :D