This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

SLOOOOW Data transfer

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Uhmmmm. Spybot problem? You got a link for where you have that posted? Or if you are successfully getting help elsewhere we can happily leave this thread as a success. Best Regards
:wavey: Doug: I do NOT know how to set up a link !! ( but AM willing to learn..) NO , I'm NOT getting any help there…The thread is on the SpyBot home website under forums..My logon name there is the same as here ( Ron.M )…There are 2 issues with the new SpyBot file..One has to do with downloading..The other has to do with immunizing (won't work properly or at all ) ….It IS one of these —-> :pullhair: ….I'm online now as are you..So I'll hope to hear from you soon…. :unsure: Guess what , I just copied a link to SpyBot…Sorry but I dont know if it's the right one , but I AM trying…http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=221627#post221627…I'm in it , but it's somebodyelse's thread
Hello Doug. I think we got this covered :).
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32083 (one of the threads in SaferNetworking Forums).

Ron M, I'm afraid there is nothing to be done about the slow downloading speeds (note that uploading speeds will be even slower), unless there is a upgrade plan for it (your current Internet Service).

As for my ISP, I've upgraded to Verizon DSL service some months ago.

I was using Netzero Premium (9.95USD/month) service and the speed didn't go any higher.
drragostea; I'm now satisfied with my speed..I'm used to it… It IS BETTER..If you or Doug or anyone else viewing this , can give any help on the SpyBot problem , I'd consider giving them my first born…ha ha ha :woot: ..For the 3rd time I failed to complete a download of SpyBot…It TIMED out…Could that be due to my speed ??? I've downloaded bigger files with NO problem…If ANYONE can solve this ( mine ) & the immunization problems, PLEASE speak up….I know there are a LOT of people that would be gratefull…MANY thanks….RON :pullhair: ……………PS: That link goes to the Adobe prob , that IS solved…FYI
Hi again Ron.M.

Yes, I am logged in here at WhatTheTech, but have been "away" taking care of other responsibilities.
We all try to reply in threads where help is needed, and especially where we have already been active.
But replies may be delayed by doing the necessary research to trouble-shoot the stated problem, and or sometimes "real-life" takes priority.
Still, you can anticipate a "same-day" response most of the time, and often a response even quicker.
We cannot "guarantee" "same-day" or even "next-day" but we will do our best.

While trying to respond to your case, I was called away to other responsibilities, and then followed the linked information that you provided.

So here we go…,

You will often get the best "specific" assistance about a product such as Spybot Search & Destroy, by submitting your question at the products website forum.

In your case, you have learned (in the thread) that others have had similar problems.
And, you have learned which version of certain Spybot files will be installed depending upon which version of Firefox browser you may be using.

In truth, I don't know if you even use FireFox.
If you don't use Firefox, I urge you to consider it due to security and good performance.
However, Internet Explorer is used by many happy subscribers without problem.
I use Internet Explorer about 25% or the time, mostly to just keep up with issues that may crop up for other users.

Now Back to Spybot…

It is not clear to me whether or not you have a successful download of the Spybot installation file.
Do you?

Do you have a version of Spybot installed?
Are you attempting to update to the current version?

What associated problems are you having?

You can download Spybot S & D from the safernetworks linked sites
or
You can go directly to:
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest…4-10122137.html

We'll hang in there with you.

Doug
Hi Ron, just wanted to add something along with Doug's post.

I've attempted to download Spybot-SD (from SaferNetworking servers) with the dial-up conneciton in the past (before I've upgraded to DSL) and it worked fine with no problems.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
–
Doug, I took a note of this several times about the download speed from Download.com…
Apparently, this issue affects DSL (broadband/High-speed) users three-quarters of the time (or make that 50/50 at most) but does not affect dial-up users.

A 768kbps DSL connection would receive around 90KB/Sec as peak (constant) or around 84-86KB/Sec on average. Downloading from Download.com's servers will result in only 35-40KB/sec on average. As I said before this does not affect dial-up users. This may not be true all the time, as I received a good speed as I just attempted to download a copy of Spybot-SD. I'm not sure about this issue still hangs, but I'm sure it doesn't now. This was a simple anecdote I noted when I first started usually DSL.

My suggestion was that it would be best to download straight from SaferNetworking's servers. I'm betting Ron M. is attempting to upgrade to a newer version. Ron's problem from the SaferNetworking thread was that he was unable to complete the download as it kept timing out.

Just one question for Ron: Where were you downloading Spybot from?
Doug & drragostea; 1st , Let me reply to Doug: Reply time is NOT a problem …If I get a reply same day OR 3 days later , it doesn't bother me at all..What matters is IF I get a reply…Next: Myself & drragostea & others ARE at the SpyBot product site..My problem has yet to be solved…I am NOT useing Firefox, & WILL consider it….NO,NO , I can NOT complete a download of SpyBot, TIMED out 3 times…Before I did a full,raw install of WinXP ,I had SpyBot installed & it worked FINE…At the moment , I have NO SpyBOT !! You said ; " What associated problems are you having?" In regards to what ?? NEXT: drrageostea; I am trying to download useing the Greyfox link in post # 14 at the SpyBot thread…This is the link..—–> http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html …..It goes to a "Mirror page & I selected the Editors Pick…Something called "BN File Forum"…I WILL try both of your links shortly & reply with results…It'll be a day or two….MANY THANKS TO ALL< BYE for now…RON
Doug & drragostea: 1st , drragostea; Thanks for 2 things, the BTW etc explanations & adding me to your friends list…The link you provided in post # 21 is the one that is not working for me ( link works , program won't fully dwnld )….2nd , Doug: Your link took me to C/Net Downloads.com (good site )….That program is smaller (13.38MB ) which is fine…However it TIMED out at 1.63MB…It's begining to look like I have a serious downloading problem…I can dwnld Java, but it WON"T install ( something to do with transformers not there ,etc..???) & had a prob with Adobe ( Solved )…ALL attempts to dwnld SpyBot have FAILED !!! I am in process of trying to dwnld Avast antivirus, 25.6MB…I'm waiting to see if that also times out…. :smack: :pullhair: <—–It's getting to be a nightmare!!!…Best regards…RON….BTW, I checked my computer properties & have 512MB working RAM , so whats going on ??? Be back later today….
I'm really unclear (it's cloudy) on what may be causing the time out. What is more intriguing is, why does the download time out on Spybot-SD?

Ron, when you describe "time-out" don't you mean that the browser's download manager tells you it's complete, when in reality it's only half way done? In addition, running a incomplete (corrupted) downloaded file (.exe for example) will result in a error message.

You can report back to us on how the avast! download went. Roughly… It would be 45-60 minutes on your connection.

Also, what error message did you face when you attempted to install Java?
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
–

You can uninstall all previous versions of Java after upgrading to the latest version (Version 6 Update 7), as Java doesn't tend to uninstall all previous versions after reboot.
Are you using a router or wireless access point?
I know that you have used ATF cleaner, so your temp files are not full.
Have you tried using firefox (or I.E. if you are using firefox.)
If you are using I.E. open Internet options, select the advanced tab, and select reset.
HFCG & drragostea: Thank you both…1ts , drragostea: The Avast dwnld went smoothly (no hitches) & installed PERFECTLY….It's a 25.6mb file..I ran it & NO probs found !! The SpyBot file stops at 9.98mb & a box turns red in the bottom tray on my desktop (What do we call that tray/bar ??) & says words to the effect "the download has timed out & could not be completed"…I do not think NetZero is telling me that…It appears it's from SpyBot…..I've tried 3 links with the EXACT same result !!! You said : "Ron, when you describe "time-out" don't you mean that the browser's download manager tells you it's complete, when in reality it's only half way done? In addition, running a incomplete (corrupted) downloaded file (.exe for example) will result in a error message." drragostea , I'm not getting a "download complete" or any thing like it…The words "time out" appear ….In reality the file is about 1/3 done as it's a 33.5mb file ( I think ) & it times out at 9.98mb….Now for Java: I installed Glary Registry Repair & ran it …It found 93 errors ! ! …. I opted to repair them…I now have 2 messages popping up with Java.The 1st one is: "Windows Installer………….Error applying transformers…….Verify that the specified transform paths are valid"…..The 2nd & new one is verbatum: Java error message…..Installer: Wrapper.CreatFile failed with error 32:The process can not access the file because it is being used by another process" ……Since this is a new install of WinXP Pro & no Java has/was installed there should be no remnants anywhere…I just looked in "Search" , nothing , nada,etc…..The Java link you provided is where I downloaded the file from….Now for HFCG: I'm on dial-up with NetZero……No router..ATF seems to be working OK…What it lacks is a display of files before & after you clean….I am NOT using Firefox & but I am considering getting it…Am undecided…I WILL reset IE after I go offline as I don't want to screw anything up (FEAR FACTER !!)…PHEW ! ! I think I just wrote a "BOOK"…That's it for now…Later guys….RON ………………… :unsure:
:wavey: Hello, drragostea, Doug & HFCG: :notworthy: STOP THE PRESSES.. !!!… GOOD NEWS… !!!!… I SUCCESSFULLY dwnlded SpyBot , installed & ran it…Works PERFECTLY (includes FULL immunization)…Also Java now installed & working….I used the tip from Doug & reset Internet Options offline.. Went to the site drragostea suggested in his Aug,10 post…Instead of dwnlding from the BN File Forum link , used Safer Networking #1..(smaller file , 14.3mb ) …Completed the dwnld & rest is history…ALL is working well….NO error messages etc….I DON"T know how to thank you guys enough….drragostea :thumbup: Doug :thumbup: HFCG :thumbup: …… Consider this /?^ %$*# problem SOLVED…Thank you ALL VERY VERY much……RON
^_^ Credits to HFCG for the "Reset" advice. Ron, to give you me thoughts, I don't tend to use Registry cleaners, unless I encounter a install/uninstall problem. Even if I did (for example) I wouldn't tend to use brands based on how "many" "errors" it found. Doug is this what you call… Gain vs. Security? I know it was Gain Vs. ______ (something), : ). Thing is glad that it was resolved.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI