This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

SLOOOOW Data transfer

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:pullhair: Dear Person: I'm new to this site…I have a Del Optiplex GC1 computer…It originally had Win 2000…After it crashed & replaced the hard drive ,I recently upgraded to Win XP Pro & installed SP 2…( SP 2 took 12 hrs (NOT a typo ) to download while I babysat the computer ) I also have IE 7…I AM a computer newbie…The problem I'm having is ; very slow web page loading , & a ridiculously sloooow download time for programs & files…ALL programs have failed to download !! . Some files have successfully , but I can't open them because I can NOT download Adobe Reader,etc…Using a modem feature ( status ) I'm transfering data at a rate of >100bps to 3/5 Kbps…I know that sucks…. I I do NOT have squat on my desktop so that should not be a problem yet…This was a FULL & COMPLETE WinXP install , NOT a repair….Everything was wiped clean…Any help or advice WILL be appreciated…Thank you in advance….Ron.M :)
Hello, Can you tell me a little about the internet service you have? Do you have dial up, DSL, or cable? Lets start here and work our way around.
Dear HFCG: 1st; Thanks for replying..I am using NetZero dial-up basic , alledgedly has high speed,(free) NO 3G…. NetZero wants $5.00 extra a month for 3G & I am a retired old fart who has to watch EVERY penny…Before I re-installed WinXP Pro it worked fine …Let me clarify something here from the begining….1st, Computer hard drive went bad (Had WIN 2000 originally) 2nd, Got new hard drive & CD for Windows XP Pro & installed it , Worked fine..Had an icon problem develop…After several online Tech's tips/solutions failed , I was told to do a repair with WinXP CD ..After repair , computer was a MESS..Could not get online , problems all over the place & icon problem STILL there..3rd,Decided & did a FULL & COMPLETE re-install….The icon problem IS gone , but now I have these problems..I have IE 7 installed , but when I go online I do not know if IE 7 kicks in automatically or not…I need help because I can NOT get my original programs/files back….Even some of the ones I saved on a CD-RW are problematic…(need Adobe, etc )….I did adjust my modem speed , but now I can't remember how I got there to try another setting…(can't find graphic)…It made little or no difference….I hope this added info helps…Thank you VERY much…RON
The net zero software may be corrupted, but if you can not download the software from netzero it will be hard to reinstall it.
First, your internet download speed will be slow with dial up.
If you can download please go here and download ATF cleaner.(and use it as directed on the site)
Please go to your control panel and:
  • Open add/remove programs.
  • In add and remove programs please look for Internet explorer 6.
  • Remove Internet explorer 6.
Then go here and follow the directions.
HFCG: I 1st installed Netzero from a free CD (Radio Shack) , Then got online to download the updated version from NetZero..Uninstalled the CD version (also removed any remnants using the search box ) & Installed the updated version… I know dial-up is slow , but since the re-install of WinXP Pro , it was moving slower than an Artic Glacier..This morning I discovered an icon for NetZero HS on my desktop..I did NOT previously install it…After installing it my speed improved quite a bit…I downloaded ATF cleaner successfully & will run it later today ( have errands to do )…I do not have IE 6 & I can't (or don't know how to) find any remnants…I downloaded IE 7 & installed successfully…You said ; "Then go here and follow the directions." I went there & that page refers to : " IE 7 , Internet Explorer can not display web page"…I do not have that problem…Just slow , but now improved loading…Also , I delete Browsing History, Cookies , & Temp. Internet Files EVERY time I BEFORE I immediately go offline… Once offline I do a Disc Clean-up..I am not familiar enough with Manage Add-Ons yet to use it…( Need a little training )…We MAY have this solved as my downloads seem to be taking less time…I will run ATF & reply later today…MANY, MANY thanks for your help… Best Regards ..RON :notworthy:
Hi Ron M. and Hello to you my friend HFCG. Ron, I'm wondering about the reinstall work that you completed. Did you install the various chipset drivers required by your machine after installing XP Pro? They should be available from your machine manufacturer's website if you do not have them on CD. Did you install DirectX 9.0c? Available from MS downloads. Have you allowed MS to scan for the "many" updates and critical patches that MS has accumulated for SP2. The above are important when setting up a fresh install of the operating system. Now I'll go back to my corner and make way for the continued excellent help that you are already receiving from HFCG. Best Regards, Doug
:wavey: Dear Doug; 1st,,, Thanks for jumping in & giving me your helpful tips..2nd,,,I AM a NEWBIE…3rd etc,,,I do not know what chipset drivers are…I will go to Dell after I finish this reply & check for them & report back…The same for DirectX 9.0c…My computer as far as I know is updated automatically (enabled the feature)…I do not know about any critical "patches" unless they come automatically with the updates….I've gone to MS for the update scan…NO updates needed…I will NOT get SP 3 due to ( what I'm hearing are ) MANY bugs etc with it….. I'll be back with results later…Thanks again…Ron.M …….PS: What IS DirectX 9.0c & what does it do ??
:wavey: HFCG: My transfer data speed seems better… Averaging now about 5Kbps…Web pages also seem to load faster… I also got ATF as you suggested…It may be doing it's job but , truthfully , I can't prove it…When I open it , I get a simple one page graphic..I check "Select All" , it runs a sec or 2 & that's it….NO before & after as others do…Have no fear , I'll keep it & use it as you do..MANY THANKS , I'm now going to do Doug's suggestions & reply later….Best regards…Ron.M :notworthy: PS: Is 5Kbps about normal for dial-up ?? What is normal anyway ??
Doug: I went to the MS website….. It seems that DirectX 9.0c IS part of the SP 2 update which I already have…The chipset drivers , according to Dell , are obsolete for my computer…Thank you VERY much for your input & tips…I REALLY appreciate it….. :thumbup:
Direct X (in my perspective) is only required for computer games if I'm correct, however it is possible that it can be exploited on a computer with a dated version.

As a ex-NetZero user (Premium Account), the peak speed that I have achieved was 6.0KB/Sec. NetZero claims to provide you with a 56kbps connection, which in reality when you connect it is less than that, due to several variables. One variable would be "noise" on the telephone line, because you are connecting on the same line that the telephone is using.
http://www.netzero.net/support/dsl/dsl-faqs.html#SPEED
–
Although there are some protocols you can use (speed up connection?) like V.92. Correct me if I'm wrong.
http://www.netzero.net/support/start/slow-connection.html
http://www.netzero.net/support/modem/mo-speed.html
:wavey: Dear drragostea: Good to talk to you again… 1st, What ISP are you using ?? I went to all 3 links you provided. Link #1, NetZero has a link to sign up for HiSpeed 3G…It's $5.00 a mo. extra that I can not afford at this time ( retired & unemployed )…Link #2, I already have the Connection Wizard…I reset my modem settings per their instructions..They were off value & not sync'd… Link # 3, Read & understood…..My modem has V.92 ( it DOES speed up connections ) so I'm OK there..I will check phone noise when I go offline..I'm getting a rate transfer ( speed ? ) averageing 5kbps…If your peak speed was 6kbps , I'm soooo glad I did not go for Premium service….Does their Premium service include HiSpeed 3G ?? …Have to re-start to set values…Thanks VERY much for your help…RON :thumbup:……..OK , I'm back..Did a restart & checked phone line…Totally silent…All is good so far…
Ron.M.

You may be at a point of logical and time honored wisdom:
"If it ain't broke, don't be fixin' on it."

In order to discover whether or not there are actually any steps that require attention, we would need additional specific information about how your machine is presently performing, particularly with reference to how it has previously performed when you were satisfied with it.

If you decide to raise other considerations, please provide specific information as best you are able.

Thank you drragostea for your comparison information. Unhappily, it sounds about right. :(

Ron.M. - You are doing quite well as a self-described "newbie". :thumbup:

Best Regards
Doug
:wavey: Doug: In reply, It was broke & with your & others help we DID fix it..My comp appears to be performing the same or VERY close to what it was prior to the re-install…At this time there are NO other considerations I need to raise..And THANK you for the newbie compliment..I AM very satisfied with ALL the help I got here…Now if we could just solve the SpyBot problem… ( another website )( you reading this drragostea ?? )….Doug, drragostea , HFCG , Thank you VERY much for your help….Consider this problem SOLVED !! :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI