This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Unable to use internet after connecting

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Brian,

One of the windows mods looked over your log and this is what he had to say.

This OP has a clutter of music sharing and P2P sharing utilities that may be complicating DNS resolution.

OP still has remnants of Symantec

OP has some helper and toolbar components of Windows Live. By itself Windows live can be useful, but it sometimes does not play well with third party antivirus utilities. In this case, the "windows live" may only be the components relative to MSN chat, and could be OK. But In general, I avoid anything "windows live" unless the machine has only windows live security components and no other third-party security, such as AVG, Superantispyware, Symantec, and even SpyBot S&D. This is more of a "personal preference", but I pretty much avoid Windows Live components

mDNSResponder.exe <– Itunes music sharing complicates some network settings
ccRegVfy.exe <– registry guard by symantec may be blocking some changes that other utilities are attempting
chatServer.exe <– P2P chat server may complicate some network settings.

You gave OP some good instructions for refreshing his DSL Modem and Router.

I would also routinely use the "ipconfig" scripts to clear out any corrupted DNS addressing.



Go to Start> Run and type in CMD and hit enter.
At the command prompt , type these in and hit enter. Do these one at a time.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushDNS



If all else fails, you may want to think about uninstalling some of the music and file sharing programs until you get up and running.

You can post in our networking forum here.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Networking_f128.html

Be sure to tell them that you posted here and that we cleaned some nasty infections from your system, give them this link so they can see what we have done.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html


Hope this helps, this is as far as I can go because this forum is for removing malware only.


  • How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.
  • Tutorial for System Restore <– Do this first to prevent yourself from being reinfected.
  • WhattheTech
  • TonyKlein CastleCops
  • Grinler BleepingComputer
  • GeeksTo Go
  • Dslreports

Ken :)
Ken, Thanks for all you did to get my PC clean of infections, and I know you've gone beyond your remit in trying to sort out my connection problems. I did the power off/on and reboot, but to no avail. I'll look at the other suggestions and post on the other forum if I need to. Probably a lot of music sharing/P2P stuff was my daughter's doing… Anyway, thank you for everything! Brian
Morning Brian,

WORK <— Have you noticed how this gets in the way of things you enjoy doing :rofl:

When you post in the other forum, post back here and let me know so that I can give them a heads up
Ken, WORK isn't a four letter word for nothing…but on the other hand, if it wasn't for work I'd be cut off from the internet right now!! I posted on the other forum about 10 minutes ago…thanks for keeping me in mind Brian
bridav has been passed to Paws who is helping with either a software or hardware issue so this thread will be closed

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI