This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Installer Problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I've been in the Hijackthis forum and Ken545 very kindly helped me get rid of some infections. I have one issue remaining and he referred me here. Everytime I open an email or web page, Windows Installer open and the box says "Preparing to Install…). Ken thought maybe it's a trojan that was removed and is trying to reinstall. Any ideas? Thank you
Hello jmkuhr, Exactly which programs are you opening when you get this installer? Can you give me a link to your malware topic? Regards, Olrik
Hi, This driver cleaner is one of the infections I had. I found this info on Wikipedia, however a little uneasy about deleting things I'm not sure will be damaging to delete. I'm wondering if when this infection was deleted it caused the windows installer problem. DriveCleaner is a system cleaning application that uses fake security popups to trick you into purchasing the DriveCleaner 2006 software. Once DriveCleaner infects your computer, the DriveCleaner Trojan will display excessive popups resembling regular system errors. Such deceptive tactics can confuse you and lead you into purchasing DriveCleaner 2006 in hopes of removing the alleged security problem. DriveCleaner may come bundled with other spyware and may install without your permission. Since DriveCleaner installs different variants on your hard drive, DriveCleaner Spyware can prove difficult to remove manually.
Hello, Thank you Olrik for the response. I did try the clean up utility and it resolved the issue of windows installer popping up. I did have to reinstall some other software as a result. I have a feeling my system has some deep rooted problems and I may backup my files and reformat the disk. Thank you for your advice.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI