This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] My computer is acting weird...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. I think my computer is infected, but I'm not sure. I just scanned my computer and cleaned up everything it found. I have some annoying things going on with my computer. When the computer starts up, the desktop background will change into something that says I have spyware, and I should get anti-virus or spyware software, which I already have. Also, I cannot set the screen saver or the desktop background anymore. The tabs basically disappeared on the properties window. And lastly, internet. Whenever I setup the privacy, the meter ends up going to "Accept all cookies", even when I don't do it. And theres lots of sites that can't even load. I'd list some examples of the sites if I'm allowed.

Heres my HijackThis log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:32:09 PM, on 6/29/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WgaTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\U3\U3Launcher\LaunchU3.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\Loader\aolload.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\Asiangotchi\cftmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [[system]] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\services.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [[system]] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\services.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [winlogon] C:\Documents and Settings\Asiangotchi\svchost.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\Asiangotchi\cftmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [autoload] C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\cftmon.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [ntuser] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\spools.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: LaunchU3.exe.lnk = ?
O7 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System, DisableRegedit=1
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.youtube.com
O16 - DPF: {8A94C905-FF9D-43B6-8708-F0F22D22B1CB} (Wwlaunch Control) - http://www.worldwinner.com/games/shared/wwlaunch.cab
O16 - DPF: {C49134CC-B5EF-458C-A442-E8DFE7B4645F} (YYGInstantPlay Control) - http://www.yoyogames.com/downloads/activex/YoYo.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: WIKI.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: jhsf8d984jief8dsfus98jkefn - {C5AF49A2-94F3-42BD-F434-2604812C897D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\jfiehayd.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswupdsv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus (avast! antivirus) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner (avast! mail scanner) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner (avast! web scanner) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: MIMO XR TM PCI Adapter WLService (MIMO XR TM PCI WLService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Airlink101\AWLH5026\WLService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

–
End of file - 5248 bytes
Hi Asiangotchi

I'm Gary R

You have signs of a RAT (Remote Access Trojan) on your computer.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [[system]] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\services.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [[system]] C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\services.exe

http://www.castlecops.com/s17213-system.html

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [winlogon] C:\Documents and Settings\Asiangotchi\svchost.exe

http://www.castlecops.com/s17214-winlogon.html

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/…-042816-0445-99

Note: Virus definitions dated April 28, 2008 or earlier detect this threat as Trojan.Dropper or Backdoor.Trojan.

* Payload:

May open a back door on the compromised computer.
May download more malware on to the compromised computer.


This means your attacker may have full remote access to your computer and can use it as if he were sat in front of it.

You are strongly advised to do the following immediately:

1. Disconnect infected computer from the internet and from any networked computers until the computer can be cleaned.

2. Call all of your banks, credit card companies, and financial institutions. Inform them that you may be a victim of identity theft and to put a watch on your accounts or change all your account numbers.

3. From a clean computer, change *all* your online passwords – for email, for banks, financial accounts, PayPal, eBay, online companies, any online forums or groups you belong to.

Do NOT change passwords or do any transactions while using the infected computer, because the attacker will get the new passwords and transaction information.

IF YOU USE THIS COMPUTER FOR ONLINE BANKING OR OTHER FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS, OR HAVE DATA OF A CONFIDENTIAL NATURE ON IT, MY RECOMMENDATION IS THAT YOU RE-FORMAT AND RE-INSTALL YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM AND PROGRAMMES. WE CAN NEVER BE TOTALLY SURE WE HAVE GOT RID OF ALL MODIFICATIONS WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN MADE BY THE ATTACKER, AND THEREFORE CANNOT GUARANTEE THE SAFETY OF YOUR DATA.

Guide to re-formatting and re-installing courtesy of wng_z3r0

If you don't have the resources to reinstall your OS and/or would like me to attempt to clean your machine, I'll be happy to do so.

To help you decide, please take some time to read the following articles, then let me know how you want to proceed.

What are Remote Access Trojans and why are they dangerous
How do I respond to a possible identity theft and how do I prevent it
When should I do a reformat and reinstallation of my OS
Where to backup your files
How to backup your files in Windows XP
Restoring your backups

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI