Display Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 Series
I'm having a problem with my monitor, seemingly as a result of recent "Software Distribution Service 3.0" updates. I bought my computer brand new about two and a half years ago. I've never had any display problems until Last Tuesday night. I put my computer on Stand By, then woke it up an hour later to find that the screen had black and grey bars going across. I then shut down my computer and booted it back up again with no problem. This continued to happen off and on after either putting my computer on Stand By, Hibertating, or Shutting Down, but would always go back to normal after another reboot. That is, until Friday. Friday night, the black and grey bars appeared again and ever since then I haven't been able to see anything but that unless I plug in an external monitor. I noticed that Windows was installing some automatic updates last Monday and Tuesday, before this started happening. When I tried to do a System Restore, I noticed a few "Software Distribution 3.0" installations as restore points. I tried every single restore point that was available, but to no avail. Each time I tried, the system restore failed. I don't know what else to do. The only time I can use my laptop now is if I plug another monitor into it, thus eliminating the portability of my laptop. Everything works like normal except the display. Can any of you help me out? If you need any other information about my PC, I'd be happy to provide it to you. Thanks for checking out my post. :happy:
The only time I can use my laptop now is if I plug another monitor into it
That tells me it is not a problem with Windows so I would refrain from messing with it. This certainly appears to be a problem with your laptop's monitor, or possibly the on-board graphics, but it sounds like the monitor.
How wide are these bars? Do they cover the screen? If you look real closely - even shining a flashlight into the dark areas, can you see the display? If so, your inverter is going (or gone) and they usually cost $65 - $120, plus about 1 hour labor. Or there are sites that specialize in laptop LCD repairs.
But I would check the HP website for upgraded drivers before the shop - they may have some new ones for SP3. If that does not help, I am afraid you will need to send the laptop into a shop - or get mouse and external keyboard and turn your laptop into a desktop.
The only time I can use my laptop now is if I plug another monitor into it
That tells me it is not a problem with Windows so I would refrain from messing with it. This certainly appears to be a problem with your laptop's monitor, or possibly the on-board graphics, but it sounds like the monitor.
How wide are these bars? Do they cover the screen? If you look real closely - even shining a flashlight into the dark areas, can you see the display? If so, your inverter is going (or gone) and they usually cost $65 - $120, plus about 1 hour labor. Or there are sites that specialize in laptop LCD repairs.
But I would check the HP website for upgraded drivers before the shop - they may have some new ones for SP3. If that does not help, I am afraid you will need to send the laptop into a shop - or get mouse and external keyboard and turn your laptop into a desktop.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. There are three wide horizontal bars, the one at the top being white and the other two being black, with a thin white line separating each bar. Sometimes it changes slightly, depending on what's showing up on my screen. I just checked HP's website for driver updates, but there hasn't been any in a couple of years for this model. I guess I'll have to find a place to try an fix my computer. I can't afford another one right now, and probably won't be able to afford one for a long time, as I'm getting married in October. Thanks for the help!
Well congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
Fortunately, you still can use the compute - perhaps you can tell friends and family that if they want pictures of the honeymoon, you need a new laptop.
One more thing - a loose connection may do this too - opening/closing the laptop lid/monitor affect the displace?
Fortunately, you still can use the computer - perhaps you can tell friends and family that if they want pictures of the honeymoon, you need a new laptop.
One more thing - a loose connection may do this too - opening/closing the laptop lid/monitor affect the displace?
haha That's a good idea. Maybe I can send around a donation bucket at the reception. Anyway, to answer your question, opening/closing the lid does not affect the displace whatsoever.