nikiquik
Topic Starter
Ugh.
I'm at 100% CPU usage and can't seem to get anywhere. (I'm posting on behalf of my husband and his laptop. I'm typing from my own laptop.) He's running Windows XP Home, IE 6, on a Compaq Presario 2100.
Upon normal start-up to Windows, I get the following:
1) In Systray - Windows Security Alert Balloon: "Slow operation speed might have been caused by malicious spyware…blah blah blah."
2) Pop-up Window: "You(*) system is probably infected with latest version of Spyware.Cyberlog-X."
3) Symantec Full System Scan is running right now. It found "Adware.purityscan" in several locations and "trackware.webhancer".. It's been running for 104 minutes so far.
4) In IE, I can enter some URL's and they come up just fine (yahoo, google, cnn, etc), but when I try to get to any website that could possibly help me, ie whatthetech.com, it says "The page cannot be displayed."
5) Another pop-up "Advertisement by Outerinfo - Do you want to block Junk Emails?" just came up.
Luckily, I know enough about computers NOT to click on any of these pop-ups.
Anyway…my whole question is "How do I help YOU, help ME, when I can't get a Hijackthis log off my hubby's f'd up PC?!"
Thanks, y'all and keep up the great work!
Peace,
Niki
I'm at 100% CPU usage and can't seem to get anywhere. (I'm posting on behalf of my husband and his laptop. I'm typing from my own laptop.) He's running Windows XP Home, IE 6, on a Compaq Presario 2100.
Upon normal start-up to Windows, I get the following:
1) In Systray - Windows Security Alert Balloon: "Slow operation speed might have been caused by malicious spyware…blah blah blah."
2) Pop-up Window: "You(*) system is probably infected with latest version of Spyware.Cyberlog-X."
3) Symantec Full System Scan is running right now. It found "Adware.purityscan" in several locations and "trackware.webhancer".. It's been running for 104 minutes so far.
4) In IE, I can enter some URL's and they come up just fine (yahoo, google, cnn, etc), but when I try to get to any website that could possibly help me, ie whatthetech.com, it says "The page cannot be displayed."
5) Another pop-up "Advertisement by Outerinfo - Do you want to block Junk Emails?" just came up.
Luckily, I know enough about computers NOT to click on any of these pop-ups.
Anyway…my whole question is "How do I help YOU, help ME, when I can't get a Hijackthis log off my hubby's f'd up PC?!"
Thanks, y'all and keep up the great work!
Peace,
Niki