Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How To Fix An "illegal Operation"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 horse2004

horse2004

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:08 PM

Hi, What do I do when I keep getting an illegal operation called "Wucrtupd" it keeps poping up every 10 seconds and I can't run many of the programs on the computer.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:47 PM

Thats Windows Critical update. Have you got all the updates from Microsoft..? If not I would try that first.

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#3 horse2004

horse2004

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:36 PM

I have all the critical updates, and have reinstalled Explorer 6 but even so I still receive the same "illegal operation" I use Win 98. this is the detailed error report: WUCRTUPD caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7b9a6. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=bff7b9a6 EFLGS=00000246 EBX=2ae77f54 SS=016f ESP=02a0fb60 EBP=02a0fb8c ECX=004e9fd4 DS=016f ESI=2ae77f54 FS=3257 EDX=02a0fa83 ES=016f EDI=00f53710 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: ff 76 04 e8 13 89 ff ff 5e c2 04 00 56 8b 74 24 Stack dump: 004e9fd4 2ae6838a 2ae77f54 00f53710 004e9fd4 00002eec 2ae682f1 00000001 00000000 00000000 00000000 02a0fb9c 702bf8d2 00cc0004 bff8e0d2 02a0fbe4

#4 Crow

Crow

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:I play golf, I like to fish tournaments (or donate). I am a Certified Applicator by day, and electronics tech after 5.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:21 AM

Ok what I would do is this.. go to control panel.. add/remove... and uninstall the "Windows Critical Update Notification" application.

Or you can change the interval of the task if you would rather keep the notification app.
BECAREFUL USING THE REGISTRY EDITOR

1# Start the Registry Editor
2# Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
3# The defaul value for the CriticalUpdate value is C:\Windows\System\wucrtupd.exe -startup, delete the -startup portion, and change wucrtupd.exe to Sucrtupd.exe so that the CriticalUpdate value reads: C:\Windows\System\Sucrtupd.exe
4# Close the registry editor
5# In the Task Scheduler, change the interval for the Windows Critical Update Notification task to the interval you want
6# Restart the computer

"I am not sure what these four 9's mean.. but I think this Ace is kinda high"

#5 Micah_6:8

Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:29 PM

Here is a quote from answersthatwork.com

WUCrtUpd.exe

(Microsoft) Windows Update Critical Update Notification.  This will appear in your Task List if you did a Windows Update at some stage and installed the "Critical Update Notification" component.  In some versions this process is scheduled to run every 5 minutes and you cannot change the schedule (under Windows 98 you can get round it with the "sucrtupd" technique, but not under other versions of Windows).

Recommendation :
Do not walk, run to your "Add/Remove Programs" icon in the Control Panel and immediately de-install Microsoft Windows Critical Updates Notification.  The consequences of some Microsoft Critical Updates have been such that the last thing you need is something to remind you, and therefore entice you to update your Windows environment with the very latest bug fix (which is what critical updates really are) from Microsoft.  It is not just that some of those updates have been quite simply disastrous (remember May/June 2002 ?), it is also that too often for our liking, the full consequences of installing some of those updates are not always clearly spelt out by Microsoft.  Yes, some of those updates are needed from a security point of view, but in 98% of cases if you either run a good firewall or your PC is configured securely, then you are protected anyway, so do not fix what doesn’t need fixing.  It is best that you simply do a Windows Update once every two or three months, say, and only at times when you do not require your PC urgently in the following 24 hours ! Finally, quite aside from the above, WUCRTUPD is also sometimes responsible for illegal operations, 3-seconds mouse freezes, WULOADER error messages, and Invalid Page Faults in KERNEL32. Have we said enough ?

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Download Hijack This! My Website: UnSpyMe!