Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Some webpages won't load

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cdamore

cdamore

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

The other day my parent's desktop (Windows XP-home) started to take a very long time to load webpages. They have Verizon DSL. Certain pages still work, for example, Yahoo, and occasionally, Google. Other webpages will not load at all, for example, most tech support forums :( Some will load only after a long period of time such as several minutes. If I go to a command line and type "ping google.com" it typically sends and receives the data with an average up and down of 60ms. However, when I try the same with, say IBM (thus "ping ibm.com"), I have 100% packet loss. However, if I try to go to ibm.com the first screen will load and I can browse their site. When I ping dell (ping dell.com) I get a response, but the site won't completely load. I get the title of the page, e.g. "Learn about Dell's laptops," etc. in the Title Bar of Firefox, but the page itself won't load. Its like the browser just decides to stop loading the page in the middle. Obviously (and thankfully) whatthetech.com works fine and at the appropriate speed. I called Verizon tech support and got no where. They simply told me that it was the security software on the computer. I responded that the desktop has the issue, but my laptop, using either the wireless or the wired connection to the DSL modem, has the same problems. On my laptop I am running TrendMicro antivirus and Spybot - Search and Destroy with the TeaTimer running. What could be the problem here? Prior to coming to my parent's house for the weekend (its Mother's Day!!) my laptop worked fine. In my apartment I have Comcast, not Verizon. Thanks for any help in advance!

Advertisements

Register to Remove