This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Slow Laptop performance after adware and trojan

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I really don't know where I'm supposed to post this question, but this is the only place that will allow me to post a question. I'm from UK (in case this is a US site) I am quite clueless at the more technical side of I.T. My laptop was attacked by Adware-Sherv.URL and Trojan.Vundo or something like that. I used Mcafee to remove the viruses. Then I scanned it will Spyware Doctor and it removed all spyware that was on my laptop. I scanned it about 3-4 times and it now says that there are no infected items. Then I used registry mechanic and now I am scanning it with Windows Malicious software removal tool, just in case. The Spyware Doctor says there are no infections but the internet and my laptop in general have become very very very slow. Some pages don't even load! I have done the following to try and speed it up : 1) Disabled programs from starting up when Windows starts. 2) Disabled internet Explorer Add-Ons 3) Cleared my internet cache. 4) Defragmented my laptop I am lost as to what is causing this huge slow down. Sometimes when I use the internet, it says something like the page is trying to run scripts which is causing the slow performance and would i like to stop running the scripts. Before i can even press yes, the page has already frozen and won't let me do anything. Then the page keeps going as if it's trying to go to several different sites but the pop-up blocker is saying that it is blocking certain pop-ups. I am using a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Premium Home. I bought the laptop in March 2007 and apparently, it has the first batch of Vista on it. Can someone please please please help me?! I'm literally tearing my hair out! THANK YOU
Run - ATF Cleaner instructions here.

—————-


Then download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform FULL SCAN, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI