Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] unhiding?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 yisen

yisen

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

I have recently just reinstalled XP after one of my darling students infected my computer with the Virut.NAB virus. I have gotten rid of the virus, after a great deal of fun, and was going to go back to plotting the students demise when I noticed something peculiar. The Virut virus hides all folders on your hard drive and replaces them with .exe files of the same name (clever little bugger except the icons look ugly compared to real folders), it than locks down the task manager and the ability to view hidden files while generally making life less fun. I thought with the removal of the virus i would be ok, however I have a problem, I can unhide the hidden files created since the virus was destroyed no problem but the ones the virus hid are completely invisible. They are still there, If i use the address bar and manually type in the names of the hidden folders than Ic an see their contents, however I don't remember the exact names of all the folders on the drive so I need to find a way to unhide the folders that the virus hid, or somehow get a listing of the hidden folder's names... Even the ones that I can find I can't unhide them, their "hidden" attribute is locked on permanantly it seems. Hoping you can help find a way to either A)Turn them visible again or B)find a way so I can see the exact names of the hidden folders on the drive, if I can see the hidden folders I can just copy and paste their contents out of their base folder as the contents are not hidden, just the original folder they are contained in. Make sense? Hope so... Can anyone help? hope so even more! Thanks for your time!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 yisen

yisen

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:07 AM

I'm officially retarded... Sorry they were just turned to System files so the new operating system wouldn't show them or allow them to be un-hidden. Should have realized earlier. Sorry for the waste of time. You can delete this thread!

#3 Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:35 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.