Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] I was recommended to come here and have my HJT log che

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#46 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:28 AM

Hi,

I would keep it here for the time being and lets just keep following Dougs advice, if a no go then we can move back to the hardware forum. Another option would be to call Sony or the vendor that you bought the system from , I like Atribune am not familiar with Sony. Being you have only had this system for two years they may offer support for you. One thing they can do is to bring it back to factory defaults, but you will lose any saved data like pictures and documents and such, Just tell them your computer won't boot and your getting the missing hal.dll error.

http://esupport.sony...26,66,9,70,5,72

http://esupport.sony...ort-contacts.pl?

Ken

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:35 AM

Okay.. here's what happened.

According to the instruction my set up screen was supposed to look something like this ↓↓
Posted Image

Of course, because I'm me..
My screen looks a bit different. :(

Like the picture I've attached.
It's asking me to select a partition, to set up Windows XP.

It did mention in the instruction that "If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted." ← Is this what's happening to me?

How should I proceed?
(I'm at a net cafe near home, so I will be hanging around waiting for your reply for a few hours)
- Erina

Attached Thumbnails

• Image020_01.jpg

Edited by az0028, 11 May 2008 - 05:59 AM.

#48 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:46 AM

Hi Ken, Your advice is much appriciated ^_^ I am considering calling Sony , but it will be as my last resort. The system here in Japan will, I think, be a bit different from the States. What they'll do is send my computer back to the main Sony headquarter in Tokyo and it'll probably take who knows how long to fix it. My friend did that once and it took her a month before getting her laptop back. PLUS the cost is enormous for a college student, like myself :( And I will continue my post here for the time being. ;) Thank you so much for your constant check up and advice. -Erina

Edited by az0028, 11 May 2008 - 05:47 AM.

#49 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:21 AM

Select C to setup windows XP and then when it goes to that screen it will most likely give you and option to Repair. Let me know if it does or does not

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#50 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:15 AM

I've attached a picture of what my screen looks like after selecting C. No repair option anywhere... :unsure:

Attached Thumbnails

• Image020_01.jpg

Edited by az0028, 11 May 2008 - 08:17 AM.

#51 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hi Erina,

The screen "just preceeding" the one you show in your posted picture, allows you to select to "repair" your existing Windows XP Home operating system. <-- That's what you want to do.
XP_Repair_Press_R.gif

If you select options from (the screen that you posted)..... You will lose any/all data and installed programs...<-- you don't want that

You should Press F3 to Quit Setup

Start over and select the option to Repair ( R ) your current installation.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#52 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hi Ken and Doug,

Ok. I assumed that it was the CD that automatically directed me to that page times and times again without giving me any option to choose from. So I, finally, called Sony and asked them to send me a recovery disk and they told me that the recover wizard is pre-installed already in my computer. All I needed to do was tap on F10. So I did.

I followed Blair instruction and .... get this .. I COULD START UP again :woot: :woot:

Perhaps the problem was with the CD all along... :smack:
However ... all the content in C is all gone, leaving only the stuff in D.. and it almost seems like my computer is back to its' factory setting again...2 years ago.
You did mentioned this being a possibility in your prior post..
But it's ok, I'm just glad that my computer is working right again.

Since the entire content of drive C was wiped out, I assume that there's no more virus problem?

Anyway, a round of applaude to you all. :thumbup:
I owe you all my deepest gratitude. :notworthy: You all have been very patient with me.

Since I used up a lot of your time and resources, it's only right that I make a donation to the site :D

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
-Erina

Edited by az0028, 11 May 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#53 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

Erina,

Glad things are running better :thumbup: I think what you may have done when you followed Blairs instructions is that you repaired the wrong partition, but now you don't have a C drive any longer just D, but that will work,.

What part of Japan are you from, I spent some time in Sasabo, Yokosuka a very long time ago during my Navy days, You where most likely not even born yet. :smack:

I am providing some tips and free tools for you to install to help keep you more secure on the internet

Keep in mind if you install some of these programs. Only ONE Anti Virus and only ONE Firewall is recommended, more is overkill and can cause you problems. You can install all the Spyware programs I have listed without any problems. If you install Spyware Blaster, you can still install Spybot Search and Destroy but do not enable the TeaTimer in Spybot.

Here are some free programs to install, all free and highly regarded by the fine people in the Malware Removal Community
  • Spybot Search and Destroy 1.5
    Check for Updates/ Immunize and run a Full System Scan on a regular basis. If you install Spyware Blaster ( Recommended ) then do not enable the TeaTimer in Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • Spyware Blaster It will prevent most spyware from ever being installed. No scan to run, just update about once a week and enable all protection.
  • Spyware Guard It offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts, again, no scan to run, just install it and let it do its thing.
  • IE-Spyad
    IE-Spyad places over 6000 web sites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • Firefox 2.0.0.14 It has more features and is a lot more secure than IE. It is a very easy and painless download and install, it will no way interfere with IE, you can use them both.

Glad we could help

Safe Surfn
Ken

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#54 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:20 AM

Erina,

I forgot to mention that with reinstalling like you did your Operating System may not be fully patched with all the latest windows updates and also you may no longer have an Anti Virus program installed.

Lets do this, run this free test over at PCPitstop,, it will check the health of your hard drive amongst other things, it will give a report, post the report back in the forum that you started with Paws.

http://forums.whatth...top_t91393.html <--Post it here

Here are the instructions
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop...top/default.asp
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Then post a new HJT log into this forum and let me look it over and see how you stand on windows updates and a Anti Virus program, if you need one I can link you to some real good free ones.

You may need this.
Download Trendmicros Hijackthis to your desktop.
Double click it to install
Follow the prompts and by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe

• Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
  • Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
  • Go to Edit> Select All.....Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the Post Reply and not start a New Thread.
DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#55 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:40 AM

Hey Ken,

I'm originally from Tokyo, but now I'm living in a small college town near Fukuoka (south of Japan).. Thanks for all the links, you've saved me a lot of time already! :notworthy:

Okie Doke! Here's my new and improved HJT log :)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 21:22:58, on 2008/05/12
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\conime.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ICO.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Power Management\SPMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$VAIO_VEDB\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\SetGamma\SetGamma.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 2\VAIOUpdt.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\Do VAIO Remocon\AvRmtCtr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\JUSTSYSTEM\PersonalShelter\TxVDrvSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Event Service\VESMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VCSW\VCSW.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzCdbSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzFw.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment\VzRs\VzRs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: FeliCaブラウザエクステンション - {EC5D2125-D8AB-4a18-A599-D97D2731DE19} - C:\Program Files\Sony\FeliCaBrowserExtension\fbe.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AzMixerSel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\AzMixerSel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SonyPowerCfg] C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Power Management\SPMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISBMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Sony\ISB Utility\ISBMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMEKRMIG6.1] C:\WINDOWS\ime\imkr6_1\IMEKRMIG.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetGamma] C:\Program Files\Sony\SetGamma\SetGamma.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VAIO Update 2] "C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Update 2\VAIOUpdt.exe" /Stationary
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VZRemoteCommander] C:\Program Files\Sony\Do VAIO Remocon\AvRmtCtr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrepareYourVAIO] "C:\Program Files\Sony\Prepare your VAIO\PYVAlert.exe" SETUPVU
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe (User 'Default user')
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun の Java コンソール - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Owner/2006a.html
O15 - ESC Trusted Zone: http://*.update.microsoft.com
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop...p/PCPitStop.CAB
O23 - Service: Smart Network Service (BeService) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Smart Network\BeService.exe
O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Image Converter video recording monitor for VAIO Entertainment - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\Image Converter 2\IcVzMon.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AvLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: TXVDrv Service (TxVDrvSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\JUSTSYSTEM\PersonalShelter\TxVDrvSvc.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment Aggregation and Control Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment\VzRs\VzRs.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment Task Scheduler - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Entertainment\VzTaskScheduler.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment TV Device Arbitration Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCs\VzHardwareResourceManager\VzHardwareResourceManager.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Event Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Event Service\VESMgr.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\VMISrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\SV_Httpd.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Integrated Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-IntegratedServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\UPnPFramework.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Gateway Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-Mobile-Gateway) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Media Integrated Server\Platform\VmGateway.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment UPnP Client Adapter (Vcsw) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VCSW\VCSW.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment Database Service (VzCdbSvc) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzCdbSvc.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Entertainment File Import Service (VzFw) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\VAIO Entertainment Platform\VzCdb\VzFw.exe

--
End of file - 8513 bytes

Edited by az0028, 12 May 2008 - 06:41 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#56 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

Erina,

Your log looks fine :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: It looks like everything is up to date, BUT, you need to install some Anti Virus Software, here is a free program and its excellent, download and install it unless you have plans to purchase a program or you already have the disk for Avast4 You ran the Recovery just fine because I see your C: Drive present. :thumbup:

Don't forget to drop in at PtPitStop and run the test , if will give you back all sorts of information on your system including the health of your hard drive, then post that info for Paws or Doug to look at.

I am so glad things are running well for you
Take Care,

Ken :)

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#57 az0028

az0028

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:55 AM

Thank you so much Doug, Ken, Paws and Atribune!!!!!

I don't know what I'd do without you!!!!

Not only that my computer is working right, but it's better than ever!!!!!
This is far beyond my expectation.... :D
I think my computer IQ is up a few points lol

You guys ROCK!!!!! :thumbup: x10
-Erina

Edited by az0028, 13 May 2008 - 12:58 AM.

#58 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:37 AM

Thats wonderful :thumbup: Take care, Ken :)

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

#59 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• 23,225 posts
  • MVP

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:31 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE