This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Printer has gradually stopped printing anything

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HP Deskjet D4160 Color cartridge: HP 93 (ink level reading is about half) Black cartridge: refilled 98 (it doesn't show up on ink levels but it was printing fine and didn't seem to be running out of ink) Several days ago, I was printing when the printer start "sucking" up the paper. I pulled out the paper from the front (I realize now that was bad) and tried again and then again with less paper but it kept doing it. The only way it worked was to feed one sheet at a time. Several hourse, my boyfriend also printed something and the ink was fine. Next day, I tried to print out a Microsoft Works document. The printer looked like it was printing, but there was nothing on the paper (different from it spitting out a blank page). I ended up changing the font color to a dark blue and printing it out that way. I ran diagnostic tests which didn't find anything, and did everything that the HP page recommended but it didn't work either. Later I tried printing out some PDF files in black to see if the program made a difference. It came out a very very faint grey. I tried changing the color but it didn't work this time. I had to set all the color properties as dark as they go just to get something that was somewhat visible. The only thing I can think of is it's those little gold contacts or that the print heads need to be cleaned (I don't know how to do that). Please help - This is my last week of school before finals so I'll be needing to print a lot over the next couple of weeks.
Hi.
Follow the directions given in your other thread and in addition make sure you don't have a paper jam, even a tiny fragment of paper stuck in the paper feed sytem can be problematic.

I still no joy then have a look at the following HP pages which should tell you all you need to know about cleaning your print heads installing new cartridges etc
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen…uct=501857&

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar…;product=501857

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/useCate…1857&os=228
Regards
paws
OK, no paper jam, settings OK.

I remember that I did do the clean heads, align heads all that stuff. The problem was, without knowing what the test page is supposed to look like exactly, it didn't help me much. I didn't see much black on there but the colors looked ok.

So I tried this tip I found: make a document with a square each in black, turquoise, pink, and yellow to find out which particular color is working. The colors are perfect, black is a light grey. Off to buy a NEW (not refilled) cartridge and go from there.
Buying the new cartridge worked. I think it was probably clogged and then running all the diagnostics sapped what little ink was left. Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI