This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Vista crashed, keeps cycling on/off

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

But I caaaaaaaaan't. When I put the disc in, and skip the code part (which it lets you do - you can out the code in later - I did this earlier today) it only gives me the option to install or upgrade. The upgrade is grayed out - which is okay - don't need that. But the install says I will lose files. So I am under the impression that this is not a repair install, but a NEW install. Can you confirm that this is, indeed, like an XP repair and will just add what needs adding? I need to be 101% sure before I proceed. Thanks, JZ
Hmmm, no I can't say I'm 100% certain…Not running Vista on any of my machines. But in XP you have to skip the option to repair the first time and select second option, maybe so in Vista (?) With that said, you have to make sure you have backupped any files you want to save, can't say for sure you won't loose them……. But, you should be able to do a repair nonetheless,as long as you have the install disc, whether its a genuine or OEM disc. So, skip the first option to repair, and select second option, just like XP………… Regards Abydos
Well, whattya know - According to a Vista Repair/Install article I found, I am supposed to repair via the upgrade module w/o losing anything! And w/o entering the code because it says I can uned up in "Reduced Functionality Mode." Anyhow, this does me no good as the Upgrade is grayed out. It says if I want to upgrade I need to do it through Windows. Whatever that means. So, I guess the install option on that screen would be a NEW install.
Okay, I was hoping by being on here that someone would help me who knew FOR SURE about Vista. Vista is difficult! Guessing is dangerous! (It happened to me on here long ago, and that PC was beyond repair after that. ) Any website will tell you straight off - Vista does NOT repair like XP. It does not have a recovery module. There is no 'second option' that you speak of. It is Upgrade or Install. That is all I got! I could do a reinstall and lose stuff, but I was hoping that the expert minds here knew of a way around this. :pullhair:

Well, whattya know -

According to a Vista Repair/Install article I found, I am supposed to repair via the upgrade module w/o losing anything! And w/o entering the code because it says I can uned up in "Reduced Functionality Mode."

Anyhow, this does me no good as the Upgrade is grayed out. It says if I want to upgrade I need to do it through Windows.
Whatever that means.

So, I guess the install option on that screen would be a NEW install.


Through those install screens, don't you get the option to repair????

Upgrade means upgrading from something before Vista…Does this machine have some kind of previous Windows installation?

Regards Abydos
Ok. lets take this from the top. Confirm the following please: You have changed the boot order in bios to boot on CD….So you get the option to whether do an fresh install or do a repair. Regards Abydos
I did not change the order that I am aware of. I have tried repair with and w/o the disc. Each time it says the same thing: it cannot be repaired. The only error listed (when I click for more info and options) is 'registry is corrupt.'
Gee, not sure what that is anymore! When I turn the machine on, it goes through the usual start up, but never gets past the black page with the little green loading bar. I hear a click and the monitor says it's 'going to sleep.' The machine is still lit (power button). Yesterday it was stopping and restarting on its own constantly like this, never getting past the black screen (with the little green loading bar). Now, when the monitor says it's going to sleep, I have to manually push the button on the machine to shut if off. It will not cycle on. If I want a menu I have to push the F8 key. Hope this helps.
You have to set the booting order in the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD….. Press "DEL" (ete) to access BIOS right after first "boot-screen". (may be different, dependandt on Motherboard, if in doubt, post your motherboard ) Find BOOT-Order in the BIOS, set it to CD / DVD, or whatever your drive is, reboot. (With your Vista CD/dvd in) Regards Abydos
I have rebooted from disc a bunch of times already. ANYHOW - I tried - for the heck of it - to reinstall to be sure I read the errors right. After all of the prmpts this is what I end up with. (I skipped repair option because I did it a bunch of times already and it will not repair because registry is corrupt. So, forget about the repair option. Not gonna happen.) This is what I get - 2 choices - upgrade or install. #1 UPGRADE Upgrade has been disabled. -To upgrade, start from Windows. #2 INSTALL States that this is a CLEAN install. So, there is no install/repair here. I do not know why the upgrade has been diaabled.
Hmm….. I must admit, I'm at a loss here………. If everything where correctly done, boot-order, boot from CD/DVD, select options where done, I cannot see how……….. Do you have any access to any form of user interface? (E.g. Safe mode, normal mode, safe mode with network etc.) Otherwise, I'm sad to announce that you might be looking at a re-install. Regards Abydos
Cannot enter safe mode either. I had a similar problem in the past with him, but it did not go this far. I didn't have to reinstall. I just can't remember what was done! I think it was something lucky, that I did, as I didn't have to post here about it. Then again, whatever that problem was - although similar - may have been different. At any rate, there is supposed to be a way to get around the upgrade thing being disabled, I just don't know what it is. I have seen it mentioned while surfing the net, but it sounds a little too involved for my limited knowledge! If anyone knows how to do an 'upgrade work around,' I sure wish they'd tell us! Apparently, it has been done somewhere! Otherwise, it's of to reinstall-land. And I am afraid that that too will be problematic. I just don't see it happening smoothly.

Cannot enter safe mode either.

I had a similar problem in the past with him, but it did not go this far. I didn't have to reinstall. I just can't remember what was done!
I think it was something lucky, that I did, as I didn't have to post here about it. Then again, whatever that problem was - although similar - may have been different.

At any rate, there is supposed to be a way to get around the upgrade thing being disabled, I just don't know what it is. I have seen it mentioned while surfing the net, but it sounds a little too involved for my limited knowledge!

If anyone knows how to do an 'upgrade work around,' I sure wish they'd tell us! Apparently, it has been done somewhere!

Otherwise, it's of to reinstall-land. And I am afraid that that too will be problematic. I just don't see it happening smoothly.


I'm sorry to hear about all the problems cooncatz, But I know since Vista is fairly new not many of us have any hands on experence with it.

I have been reading everything I can find on vista, and haven't found anything yet to help (short of re-install which I know you want to avoid)

I will continue to read everything I can find but I don't hold alot of hope, I know if it was me I would start to prepare for the re-install.

I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help. :(

If I do find anything that might be of use I will post back here.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI