This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Vista crashed, keeps cycling on/off

14 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, My son's PC crashed (Vista ) suddenly. First, it prompted him to do a repair from the disc, so he did, but it did not work. He followed the prompts, it restarted a few times, but nothing. It just kept looping on/off. He then did a complete shutdown and unplugged/restarted. I ran a repair (w/o disk) and it said it 'could not be repaired' and mentioned 'corrupt registry.' I tried to do a system restore but there was no restore point. When I tried to get it back to an earlier known good setting, it did nothing but shut off and restart. I can't even get into SAFE mode! What can I do? Thanks, Janet

Hello,

My son's PC crashed (Vista ) suddenly.

First, it prompted him to do a repair from the disc, so he did, but it did not work. He followed the prompts, it restarted a few times, but nothing. It just kept looping on/off. He then did a complete shutdown and unplugged/restarted.

I ran a repair (w/o disk) and it said it 'could not be repaired' and mentioned 'corrupt registry.'

I tried to do a system restore but there was no restore point.

When I tried to get it back to an earlier known good setting, it did nothing but shut off and restart.

I can't even get into SAFE mode!

What can I do?

Thanks,
Janet


Since you mentioned system restore, and last know good config, I assume you can get to the menu with the F8 key. One of the options should be not to restart autmaticily on errors. If you do that and restart you should see the errors, if you can post what those errors are it will help to see where the problem might be.

Can you post the errors that show up?
Hi, I did what you said, and rigth after selecting that the machine tries to load (little green power bar) and stops. I get the 'monitor going to sleep' box but the machine is still running. I shut down and start again to see what would happen, but there is no error page or anything. So, I tried all this again with the same result. I forgot to say I did run the memory test before and that was all good. The repair I did that showed the 'can't fix this' message showed only one error - registry is corrupt.

Hi,

I did what you said, and rigth after selecting that the machine tries to load (little green power bar) and stops. I get the 'monitor going to sleep' box but the machine is still running.

I shut down and start again to see what would happen, but there is no error page or anything.

So, I tried all this again with the same result.

I forgot to say I did run the memory test before and that was all good.

The repair I did that showed the 'can't fix this' message showed only one error - registry is corrupt.


I'm going to try and see if one of the more experenced Tech's here can chime in, I don't want to give any information that isn't correct.
I'm not one of the WTT techs, but do try and help where I can. I'll PM one and see if they have any suggestions. For you.

Just in case, do you have your Windows disk?
Yes, and we have been using it for the repair and to boot off of, which did not work. All I can do with it is try to repair or do a clean reinstall. I'm trying to avoid that. With XP all I ever had to do was reinstall on top of the existing stuff and it would be fixed and nothing was lost! Is this not doable on Vista? Thanks, Janet

Yes, and we have been using it for the repair and to boot off of, which did not work.

All I can do with it is try to repair or do a clean reinstall. I'm trying to avoid that.

With XP all I ever had to do was reinstall on top of the existing stuff and it would be fixed and nothing was lost!

Is this not doable on Vista?

Thanks,
Janet


No techs are on at the moment, be patient though.

What happens when you boot without the disk? (I mis-understood something before, my fault, I thoughtyou were booting w/o the disk)
When it's booting w/o the disk does htting the f8 key right after the bios screen bring up the menu?

I'm sorry but I have limited experence with vista, only used it so far and have read alot about it. But never had to troubleshoot one yet. :) yours would be the 1st.

Let me know what happens when you try to boot w/o the disk, and if you can get into the menu with the F8 key. That is where the option to not auto re-boot on errors would be.

Also when you get into the menu what option do you have?
It's the same with or without the disk. I can get the F8 menu either way. I had found the option you mentioned and had tried that before, but it does nothing in terms of bringing up any error listing. The monitor just keeps 'going to sleep.'

It's the same with or without the disk. I can get the F8 menu either way.

I had found the option you mentioned and had tried that before, but it does nothing in terms of bringing up any error listing.

The monitor just keeps 'going to sleep.'


hiya Cooncatz,

I have PM'd a couple of tech, and am busy doing some reading on your problems right now.

I didn't want you to think we've forgotten about your issues.

One of the techs was kind enough to provide me with some reading. Another Tech I PM'd might be along soon.

Is there vital information on the vista machine that can't be lost? (I only ask because as a last resort you might need to do a clean re-install)

I suggest we wait for me to finsih researching vista, and maybe a more experenced Vista tech will chime in.

hang in there.
There is so much stuff on there, music files, etc., that would be a pain to reproduce. I really do not want to wipe it clean! I also have NEVER had to do a clean reinstall before (have been lucky?) and have no idea how to back up stuff onto discs. Anytime I have ever tried to back stuff up it has not worked. And none of the puter savvy people I know could tell me how to either! So, I am very scared of doing that! Another thing is, even though we bought the Vista with the computer, and have the disc and case, there is no 'key code' anywhere on it. I have no idea where we even found it in the first place when it was set up! So, I reallyreallyreally hope, this can be fixed an easier way. I also just got done having LDTate fix this same PC last week, which took the better part of two days. So, I already want to put a hammer through it! I will NEVER do Vista on my pc! Thanks for helping, I will await further word. Janet
Hi CoonCatz

Sorry to hear about your problem's.

First off, we need to find that PC-key. It should be located somewhere/around your PC somehow in the form of a sticker…Maybe on the case? (back, front, top, anywhere)

Its imperative you find this key………………..

How to do a repair in Vista differs somewhat from XP.

Hers a link with some short info, very handy and accessible: LINK

You should be able to do a repair. If you aint got a key, try contact your seller/manufacturer. Its very unusually if you don't have one……..

Regards Abydos
What is a PC key? Are you referring to the Visa software key code? If so, I do not have that on anything. I know what it looks like and it is not on the case. Now if you are talking about some code on the PC, I'm sure I can find that. I read the link you gave and did all of that stuff earlier. (In intial post I wrote.) He does not have a backup disk. Janet
Okay! Found code for Vista stuck on console. Good place for it I guess. Anyhow, this is only going to help me for a total reinstall only - is it not? That is what I don't want to do! JZ
Well, you need to, read "have to", have a Product key for Vista, otherwise its impossible to to do a repair.

If you need to to backup those files, I'll advice to transfer that harddisk to another PC running Vista, and backup those files. Altho, I must say its very weird you don't have a Product-key for your OS. It should be there if you are running a legitimate version of Vista.

Regards Abydos
Please read response before yours, I did find the key. I have no access to another PC with Vista. Is this really my only alternative? To reinstall?

Okay!

Found code for Vista stuck on console. Good place for it I guess.

Anyhow, this is only going to help me for a total reinstall only - is it not?

That is what I don't want to do!

JZ


Sorry, what is in the middle of writing, when your post appeared. With that key you should be able to do a repair exactly like XP, re-installing the OS without harming the saved files. "Only" files lost are the updates…

Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI