This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

blinking blue screen and popups

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Computer has run fine for years with no issues and yesterday started giving me problems.

1. Seem to be getting popups in Internet Explorer
2. Entire desktop blinks to blue and then goes back normal approximately every 5 seconds. Made it very dificult to download and run HijackThis.
3. Fan is running at high speed like something is running in the background.

I have posted my HijackThis log below. Thank you for your assistance.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:05:47 AM, on 4/20/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16640)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$ACT7\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect Express HD 1.1\retrorun.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\windows\system32\rwwnw64d.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcntqldn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a…n&pf=laptop
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&a…n&pf=laptop
O2 - BHO: SnagIt Toolbar Loader - {00C6482D-C502-44C8-8409-FCE54AD9C208} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagItBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0C12EA7B-F8D8-44DC-BA86-63E9A72B789A} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\qoMcBRiI.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B847A357-2C47-4B7C-8E64-6471357E868F} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\geBQJBuU.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Act.UI.InternetExplorer.Plugins.AttachFile.CAttachFile - {D5233FCD-D258-4903-89B8-FB1568E7413D} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EE5A1465-1E73-4784-8F63-45983FDF0DB8} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\yayaAtuU.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {F4626754-D5C4-41A7-B72C-2714B34FB501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\cbXPggDV.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: SnagIt - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 8\SnagItIEAddin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\hpq\HP Wireless Assistant\HP Wireless Assistant.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eabconfg.cpl] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cpqset] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LSBWatcher] c:\hp\drivers\hplsbwatcher\lsburnwatcher.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXOBG] C:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{F9-92-2B-BD-DW}] C:\windows\system32\rwwnw64d.exe DWram
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Host Process] C:\Documents and Settings\Jason Gange\svchost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ExploreUpdSched] C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcntqldn.exe DWram
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager] C:\PROGRA~1\Snapfish\SNAPFI~1\data\Xtras\mssysmgr.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: Deewoo.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcntqldn.exe
O4 - Startup: DW_Start.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\rwwnw64d.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Attach Web page to ACT! contact - {6F431AC3-364A-478b-BBDB-89C7CE1B18F6} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Attach Web page to ACT! contact… - {6F431AC3-364A-478b-BBDB-89C7CE1B18F6} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=Q305&bd=pavilion&pf=laptop
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15030/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www1.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15030/CTPID.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: yayaAtuU - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\yayaAtuU.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: HP WMI Interface (hpqwmi) - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\HPQ\SHARED\HPQWMI.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Helper (RetroExp Helper) - EMC Dantz - C:\PROGRA~1\RETROS~1\RETROS~1.1\rthlpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Launcher (RetroExpLauncher) - EMC Dantz - C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect Express HD 1.1\retrorun.exe
This computer is 3-4 years old and I have gotten so fed up with Norton Antivirus that I removed it approximatly 2 years ago. I run Windows firewall. Have not had any known issues until the other day. Computer had been running great. Guess I need to install an antivirus once I get this fixed, please feel free to recommend an antivirus software.
The best suggestion I can offer is to back up any important files and then reformat and reinstall Windows. Two years without an anti-virus renders the PC beyond help. It is going to be impossible to guarantee a clean computer at the end of the removal process, which makes it something of a waste of my time and yours to start it in the first place. The possibility that legitimate files may have been infected or corrupted by the malware present on your PC, and also that security settings may have been lowered making your computer more liable to infection in the future, means that starting over is the easiest and most reliable solution to your problems. You also need to be aware of the risk of identity theft if you have accessed bank accounts with this computer or shopped online. Keylogging software could have recorded details of these actions and a lack of an effective firewall means that there is nothing to stop this information being sent home - the Windows firewall doesn't monitor outgoing connections. If this does apply to you, i'd monitor your accounts and perhaps consider getting credit/debit cards, passwords etc changed - obviously not using this PC!
Will do, thank you for the feedback. I have the orignal disks and can backup my photos to a second drive prior to wiping it clean. I wasn't aware the Windows firewall does not monitor outgoing connections. Just for my own info, is this true on Vista as well or do I need to install a secondary firewall program on those machines as well?
The firewall bundled with Vista does work two ways, but it may need configuring to be at it's most effective - I don't actually know though. I installed the PC Tools one from the link below as I couldn't be bothered to find out.
Free firewalls:
Comodo Firewall Pro, available here.
PC Tools Firewall Plus, available here.
Online Armor Free, available here.
All three work with XP, but only PC Tools works on Vista too.
It is important to note that you should only have one firewall installed at a time, but you can download them all to your Desktop and install each in turn to see which one you prefer.

Understanding and Using Firewalls: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial60.html

Free AVs - only one at a time with these too:
Avg Free Edition: Available here.
avast! 4 Home Edition: Available here
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic :Available here

I use AVG on a couple of PCs, one XP and one Vista, and they do the job. One works alongside Comodo's firewall and the other with PC Tools and i've had no confliction issues, so take your pick.
I use NOD32 AV on my main machine as i've been known to surf the dark side on occasion while researching stuff and I prefer the added security - although that could just be perception rather then fact.
Thank you for the input. I was going to begin moving files (the photos are all I really care about) off my machine and I am not able to due to the screen going blue every 5 seconds or so. If I open My Computer and select the files, whenever the screen goes totally blue and reappears I am back to my desktop with My Computer now closed. Is there anything I can do to resolve the blinking blue screen so I can move the files onto another drive and then I will run the System Recovery CD's for the computer. Dont care so much about the popups etc. as I wont even open Internet Explorer.
Have you tried transferring them to a flashdrive in Safe Mode? If that doesn't work, then you may need to get hold of a boot disc and get them off using a different OS - easily done, and for free.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI