This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Data Execution Prevention problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I have a Western Digital My Book External Hard drive. Earlier today I attempted to move two files of about 500Mb each into a folder on the external and was unable to because of an error I received. The error stated that Data Execution Prevention had to shut down Windows Explorer because of an error. Immediately following this, another error reported that Dr Watson Post Mortem Debugger had encountered an error and needed to shut down. The computer froze up after this until I used Ctrl-Alt-Del to terminate the DrWatson process, after which everything returned to normal. I restarted the computer and tried to move the files again, and I encountered the same problem. After a 3rd restart, the files moved fine. From what Windows tells me about DEP, when it chooses to shut down a program, it is usually for a good reason. Unfortunately, I cannot think of what this reason might be. From looking around on Google, I also see that this DrWatson is a pretty annoying fellow. I was just wondering what would be the suggested course of action in order to prevent further problems with these two issues. Could this be a virus, or is this just Windows being buggy, and how should I proceed from here? I feel as if the problem is probably just Windows, so I did not post in the HijackThis section. I also get the feeling this is not an uncommon thing. Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI