Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Closed] wowfx.dll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#31 howcho

howcho

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

I attempted to open my norton so see what might be in the quarantine but to my surprise, Norton will not open althoug i can see from "services" that it is running. The other files mention by me that where residing in the sys32 folder are now gone as well. What next cheif?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 Noviciate

Noviciate

Retired WTT Teacher

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

Things aren't looking too good at the minute. I've looked through the thread again and I can't see anything that I can identify as malicious in any of the logs that you've posted that hasn't already been dealt with.
The amount of junk that has been removed. and it's type, does give cause for concern. Some of the files that have already been identified were specifically written to hide from view and there may be others that are more effective at doing this. There is also a possibility that some damage has been caused to the OS which could account for the problems you are reporting, or they could be due to whatever else is on your system - I don't know which.
The fact that your anti-virus isn't behaving properly, and has failed to stop quite a number of attacks is also an issue. At least one of the files that was present has been identified by Symantec already and yet it failed to detect it repeatedly, which makes me wonder if it has been working properly for a while.
Panda lists a number of vulnerabilities with your OS which indicates that you haven't updated the PC in a while - I see you are still using Internet Explorer 6. This may explain in part why you have had so much malware on your system.
I think it would be a good idea if you were to back-up any important files now while the PC is still behaving reasonably nicely as things may deteriorate.
Once you've done this, pay a visit to Windows Updates and download everything that Microsoft has to offer. While it won't improve the situation at the minute, it may help to keep further malware attacks at bay.
After that:

Download OTScanIt by OldTimer from here and save it to your Desktop.
Double click OTScanIt.exe and then click Extract to extract the files - a folder called OTScanIt will be created on your Desktop.
  • Close all open programs.
  • Open the OTScanIt folder and double click OTScanIt.exe to begin.
  • Click Run Scan in the top left to, well, run a scan - obvious really!
  • Once the scan has completed a Notepad window entitled OTScanIt.txt will open with the results in - a copy of the log will also be saved in the OTScanIt folder.
  • Click Format at the top and ensure that Wordwrap is unchecked - if it isn't, do so.
  • Copy and paste the log into your next reply.
  • Once you have posted your reply, check that the last line is < End of report >
    If it isn't, the post was too long for one reply and you will need to post the remaining part of the log in a separate reply.
Also let me know if your anti-virus is now behaving properly. If it isn't, and possibly if it is, it will have to be replaced as it's not doing what it should - there are a number of free trials that will do the job temporarily,
Death to the salad eaters!

#33 howcho

howcho

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:20 PM

fyi... havent gotten to the latest scan yet. But because my norton was acting funny, I uninstalled it completely and reinstalled. It seems much better now, as i can open it and mangage it. I will post the latest scan when I can.

#34 howcho

howcho

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

Sorry to have not responded in so long.

Please close this topic!!

#35 Noviciate

Noviciate

Retired WTT Teacher

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

Due to inactivity this topic will be closed. If you need help please start a new thread and post a new HJT log
Death to the salad eaters!