RWhite1795
Topic Starter
Hey there everyone, i've got a stumper going on, and I fear Im getting quite close to wit's end…
Im working on a friends laptop, a compaq presario R4000, as she complained it was "running slow and booting slow".
Well, I felt confident I had seen 90% of the "slow computer" causes.. now i've found one in the last 10%.
Her laptop is running at 100% CPU usage at ALL times, from startup on. Even in safe mode!
The process that is eating the cpu time is "SYSTEM", not to be confused with System Idle Process.
I've run Spybot and Virus Scans, safe mode and normal, and only found a few cookie problems.
I've run selective startup with absolutely no extras starting, unchecking all possible "on startup" features, no change.
Disk space is >50% free.
On a wild chance, I even disconnected the battery and started on only AC power, as my problem very loosely resembled another I found in my searches.
I've tried many searches to try to find out what i can do to limit this, but havent come up with much, as if you search for "System" and any other part of my problem, i find nearly exclusively "system idle process" questions.
Also I apologize if this should be in the "laptop" forum, but I really believe its not the fact that it is a laptop that is causing the problems.
Thanks for any help
Rick
(also trying to get a HJT along with a screenshot of the Task Manager/Perfmon, but i cant seem to get my flash drive to read on that system, probably because of its software.)