This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

Question Regarding the 'What the Tech Classroom'

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Hello,

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this but… I tried to PM the admins regarding this question but it looks like I am too new on this forum to use the private messaging system.

Someone helped me remove some infected files this past week and I am very thankful and appreciative of this service. I saw this thread and I am interested in becoming a volunteer to help others.

My question is: do you need any previous experience with tackling malware to become a volunteer? My computer skills are very average, such as HTML and PHP, installing and uninstalling, troubleshooting, etc. but I have no experience whatsoever with removing viruses or spyware other than using a 3rd-party antivirus system and doing a scan and letting them remove it for me.

Without that experience, am I still qualified to become a volunteer?

Thanks.
Hi Gary, The forums, here at WTT would welcome an application from you to join the classroom, just the follow the links in your previous posts and see how you go, New members often have to wait until they completed 10 or 15 posts before the pm facility is extended to them..so not too long to go for you now! If for any reason you have difficulty in applying then contact me here in this thread and I'll do my best to put you in touch. No special knowlege of malware removal is needed before joing the classroom as the trainng is comprehensive and extensive and can be undertaken at your own pace. It would be fair to say however that you should be prepared to spend some time each week on your training assignments as the amount of knowledge required to be asimilated is quite large. However no previous experience is required other than a committment to follow the training that will be allocated by your assigned teacher. It is a great thing to be able to effectively analyse an HJT log, determine the undesirable elements that may be present on the system and provide detailed and understandable advice and instructions on how to clean the machine. I wish you all good luck and hope that you will enjoy the process and go on to be able to provide effective assistance to folks with infected computers. Regards paws
Hi Gary That's one of the first questions asked when considering signing up and I always tell the same story. Up until mid 2006 I had never even used a computer, but we bought our first just because "everyone else had one". After quickly getting bored simply surfing I just happened to follow a link leading to another malware forum, and signed up out of pure curiosity. The rest is history, as Im learning more and more all the time, which is quite amazing considering I was thrown out of three schools as a youth.
Hi, You don't have to know a lot about computers and malware to learn malware removing. Of course, if you do know a lot, it would be a great plus. Everyday is a great learning experience when you start to learn analyzing HJT logs and the different aspects of Windows. It may be tough, but it's fruitful. If you enjoy helping people, it will be even more better. It can make your day when you get another clean, happy computer user. :D

What kind of time requirements are needed to successfully complete the course?


It's a self paced class.
Also since there are so many different level of user experence there really is no way to
tell how long it would take. One person with extensive knowedge of computer will complete it quicker than
someone still learning about computers.
I also have a somewhat similar question. I was enrolled here earlier in the class, but could not start the process due to unavailability of enough free time. By the time I had time, the site changed from Tom Coyote to WhatTheTech. Now I would like to rejoin, and applied. But yet to receive a reply. How long does it take to get reply? :?:

I also have a somewhat similar question. I was enrolled here earlier in the class, but could not start the process due to unavailability of enough free time. By the time I had time, the site changed from Tom Coyote to WhatTheTech. Now I would like to rejoin, and applied. But yet to receive a reply. How long does it take to get reply? :?:


From what I remember reading I believe it take about a week more or less to either get excepted or rejected.

I believe Paws made a post about this not too long ago.
found the post: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Wanted_to_sa…llo_t90777.html

hope that helps.
Quick question… Why is it stated that there shouldn't be any open threads by the applicant at the time of application? Does this mean that the machine that we would be doing classwork on should be clean or that we shouldn't have any open threads period? I do a few PC's here and there and would like to continue using this service while applying. Should I use another site in the mean time or wait for a lull in my repairs?

Quick question… Why is it stated that there shouldn't be any open threads by the applicant at the time of application? Does this mean that the machine that we would be doing classwork on should be clean or that we shouldn't have any open threads period? I do a few PC's here and there and would like to continue using this service while applying. Should I use another site in the mean time or wait for a lull in my repairs?

It means you can't have any open hijackthis logs. If so, you'll need to wait until your HJT log is closed.
We just cleaned one of yours.
Is this another pc of yours?
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Something_is…soc_t91101.html
yes… it is… if you would like to close it so that I can apply, that is fine with me… the machine seems to be running fine right now. I was leaving it open just in case there was still a nasty in there. I've already applied. Do I need to apply again when its closed? I misinterpreted the note thinking just the machine that I would be attending classes on had to be clean.

yes… it is… if you would like to close it so that I can apply, that is fine with me… the machine seems to be running fine right now. I was leaving it open just in case there was still a nasty in there. I've already applied. Do I need to apply again when its closed? I misinterpreted the note thinking just the machine that I would be attending classes on had to be clean.

You don't need to do anything right now.