This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problems with Gaming

25 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi TonyG123, SIS is a manufacturing company that makes electronic components. The major "computer chip" type component that we all think of is the CPU (computer processing unit). However, there are other "chips" embedded into a computer's MotherBoard which might relate to interface with hard drives and optical drive, interface with USB devices, interface with video display, interface with audio display, and which might manage other features of communication between the CPU/RAM/Networks/Operating System/Application Software. Your machine has a "chipset" manufactured by SIS, Silicon Integrated Systems. It appears that your machine has "onboard" video graphics adapter capability (SIS components), in addition to your RADEON X800GT. This is a very common situation and generally a "good thing". Many moderate level computer users, rely entirely upon motherboard chipset components for audio and video. When, as in your case, an additional (better) graphics adapter is installed via PCI/AGP/PCI-e expansion slots, it is important to assure that the complimentary chipset component is turned-off, so as to not interfere with the expansion component. I'm off to work now myself, so I'll check back this evening. Keep us posted with your progress. Doug
hey guys, thanks for all the help but i had my brother format my computer at the weekend, and still the game jerks… so i have come to the conclusion i have a crappy graphics card lol.. im looking to buy a new graphics card but have no idea what kind i am looking for… any suggestions? cheers.
TonyG123 I've had simular problems with my PC especially when online. I didn't think A defreag would really help, but I downloaded a free defrag program called JKDefrag. It helped to smooth things out a lot. Don't know if it will fix your problem, but it helped me, and it's worth the time to run.
TonyG123 The only Graphics card I've ever bought to upgrade was ATI Radeon. I had a few compatibility problems with it, but they were easy fixes. In the end I was very happy with it.
Yup that's it I already tried it. I still like JKDefrag mostly because it doesn't promt me to buy something. I also downloaded the registry defrag I don't know how much it will help but, it says it did.
I didn't expect it to help much if at all, but I didn't realize it could actually be harmfull. Fortunately I seem to have come out ok. No noticeable difference, and no apparent harm done. Thanks for the tip. I'll refrain from now on. It's funny… software companies never seem to mention the potentual down side.
Clearly, there are "other opinions" out there, as several major respected software vendors offer such products and have been doing so for a long time. However, with regard to management of the Registry, I certainly follow the outcome-based research. Unfortunately, I think the existence and use of these "utilities" is based on the "popularity" of the idea that cleaning out any-and-all old, remnant, and unused files is important to the performance of a machine. That popular idea is not all wrong. I am a strong proponent of regularly removing .tmp and temporary internet files, as well as regular flushing of the JAVA Cache. I even routinely flush my DNS resolver. Actually, I think that most folks who think they are doing a good job of keeping their Registry Cleaned and Defragmented, would be absolutely "horrified" if they knew how many; .dat, .bak, .log, .chk, .tmp, etc. and other files get generated and "kept forever" just from installing Windows, updating Windows, installing application software, and updating that software or downloading an image file. It's just a fact of life with complicated OS and software. And most often, there is a greater impact (and risk) to the system from just a few temp files, than from allowing the Registry to go untended for years at a time. Want a sweet TEMP file cleaner? Consider: ATF-cleaner or CleanUp! 4.52 Both are safe and competent for cleaning up temp files in the system file structure, and neither tampers with the Registry. Best Regards
Thanks doug I think for the time being I'll just be happy with the fact that nothing harmfull is in my registry and trust add-aware to keep it that way. My system is running probably as good as it ever has since new. Perhaps I should leave well enough alone.
hey guys, i forgot about this topic hehe, so yea when i get some spare time i will do what u said.. but i have already bought a new graphics card and i am waiting on its arrival.. so if this new card improves my gameplay performance then i guess the card i have right now just wasnt good enough lol. cheers for the help peeps.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI