This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Running Processes that shouldn't be there...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I was looking through my Running Processes list, And there were a few that I was a bit confused on.

FrameworkService.exe
UpdaterUI.exe


As far as I know, these are both processes for McAfee, which I uninstalled a while ago.

ycommon.exe

For Yahoo! IM, which isn't running.

GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

I can't manage to get rid of this stupid toolbar. I've disabled it, and tried at least 4 times to uninstall it, and it won't go away!

Any idea why these things are in my running processes, and how I can / if I should get rid of them?
Hi, sorry to hear of the problems with your machine
Taking them in order:
The first two are usually associated with McAfee products…however it is not unknown for malware to "adopt" legitimate file names so a complete virus and spyware scan with your updated resident software protection products is recommended.

McAfee (and other products) do sometimes leave remnants of themselves behind when they have been uninstalled and this is particularly the case if the user forgot to stop any of the software's running processes before carrying out the uninstall.

McAfee have provided an uninstaller that will remove a lot of their products and it is suggested that you go here to take a look:
http://support.winferno.com/CRMsupport/ind…Afee%20Products

The ycommon.exe is usually associated with the Yahoo browser and can get left behind if it was running at the time the uninstall was performed. the same remarks apply to the Google toolbar.

One way of dealing with the ycommon.exe is to reinstall the application so it is fully operational, reboot, and then after making sure it is not running and is completely closed down ..uninstall it and then reboot.

The same procedure could also be used for the Google toolbar…but please only do one thing at a time, create a System Restore point before you initiate each procedure and don't forget the reboot and to stop the application from running before you uninstall
Regards
paws
The McAfee remover worked like a charm. I tried installing and then uninstalling the google toobar, and I think that worked too. I haven't messed with the Yahoo thing, because the running process hasn't showed up again, so I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for all the help! :-)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI