This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Slow computer

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

While reviewing the entries in task manager under the processes tab I noticed 6 entries for vec.exe. I googled this and found several entries telling me it was dangerous and should be removed. They all had their tools for sale to accomplish this but I'm always a little suspicious about those places. My questions are: What is this? Is it dangerous? How do I remove it? I have run several spyware and antivirus programs and they don't seem to pick it up. Thanks for the help. I have a HP a1330n computer running windows xp
Do you have the VAIO Entertainment Center installed on your system?

If so then the file is legitimate.

Are you experiencing symptoms that might indicate you are infected?

If you do not have the VAIO program, then it could be a rogue anti virus in which case, post the DDS and GMER logs as requested in the "are you infected" first steps topic
Thanks so much for the prompt response. The answer is no to both of your questions - I don't have VAIO installed and I don't seem to be having any problems other than I was getting a message all the time about being low on virtual memory. That's why I checked the task mgr to see what was up. So I'll submit the report you are asking for. Again, thanks for helping me.
I'm confused about the directions you sent me to. Am I supposed to run ATF Cleaner, System Restore, ERUNT, and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in addition to the two you asked for? If so, does the System Restore and ERUNT get run first? If not, should I do the system restore and ERUNT before I do the two you requested? Just trying to make sure I don't screw things up. Thanks.
I might have figured it out. Do you know if this file is part of Amadis video converting software? For some reason I had multiple copies of it running in the background and didn't realize it. I closed them all down and re-started the computer and the vec.exe is gone from the task mgr.
Yep It would appear to be Navigate to this file and just verify it's existence C: \ Program Files \ Amadis Software \ Amadis Video Converter Suite \ vec.exe
My laptop is running extremely slow. I found a file called SBAMSvc.exe in my task mgr taking up memory. Could this be a problem? I have not installed any Sunbelt program (Vipre) nor Counterspy. It appears the file was added in Sept of last year. I have run Spybot and Kaspersky and neither finds anything out of the ordinary. Last week I had the same problem and I worked and worked on it and finally resolved it for a few days by going to F8 on start up and clicking on last known working settings. This worked for a few days so I left the SBSMSvc.exe file alone even though at one point I saw it was really hogging up memory (in excess of 190,000k). Now it is about 30,000k. That fix worked for about 3 days and now the problem is back. The file is located at C:\programs\Common Files\Antivirus and that is the only location on the computer. Any thoughts? I have a HP a1330n with 2 megs of ram. Thanks in advance.
Please do the following:

Please download DDS from either of these links

LINK 1
LINK 2

and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.pif to run the tool.
  • When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt.


NEXT


[external image: Posted Image]
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
  • Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.

    [external image: Posted Image]
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and post it in your next reply.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries
Can I do this in safe mode? I can't keep a browser open but for a few minutes at a time. I don't know if I'll have better luck in safe mode or not.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI